New drum sander

Review by Ladislav posted 04-07-2015 04:27 PM 5765 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New drum sander New drum sander New drum sander Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hi everyone!! I finaly got bigger drum sander :))!! I used to had 16-32 performax but without sand smart, and it was ok but only after I removed the trip braker and bypass it. But still it was quite a work to get a full kitchen ( doors) thru it . And also annoying to have to do two passes on wider doors and not being able to keep sander set perfect to the table , but on the end it had to be lil higher wich meant i basicaly run everything twice , run once flip and in again . I was looking at 22-44 for a while but it eint cheap and wasnt sure if i will be able sell mine 16-32 for decent money , ( i bought that one used for 600 or so.. I found one 22-44 on cl for 900 few days ago and offered 750 . Guy agreed so i quickly put mine on cl and buum !! Sold for 450 ! Had to deliver 120 miles but hey , so i went pick mu new one up and all i was hoping was that rhis one will be as good as mine but bigger ,, but this one is way way better! Newer and got sand smart and even tho its only 1/4 horse more (1.3/4) it feels like its at least twice as strong and having sandsmart is very very good! I made tables for it as i had those on my old 16-32 and liked them so this one came without but now she’s all good to go!! ;) again i did only few passes but from what i seen is this sander is not just bigger but much much better and stronger , uf you thinkin upgrade and few inches of drum don’t justify the price difference than remember ..this one isnt just bigger its better!:))

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

#1 posted 04-09-2015 09:33 PM

You scared me to death when you said that you removed the breaker and bypassed it … in my mind I just pictured your shop as a pile of cinders like Monty’s shop or you laying prone from the shock … I hope that you put it back before you delivered it to the new owner or the liability rests on you for removing the safety device.

I’ve heard form several folks on this site that they are unhappy with their 16-32 Performax; seems that you pay for the sander then have to buy this and that to make it work right … Shouldn’t it all be included?

I’ve been looking at the Grizzly, looks like what I want for my shop.

Gald that you found what you wanted on CL … good spot to shop … but let the buyer beware …

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

#2 posted 04-09-2015 09:39 PM

Thanks for your reply :) and yes i mention it to the buyer , who didnt wanted me to put it back as he will buy new one cause it was maybe just faulty braker ,and i have used it without it for my last kitchen ( doors) and was glad i didnt had to deal with issues like stoping in the middle of the door ,, seams like that sandsmart fixing the issue cause new mashine dont even have reset button , assuming cause it will never trip :)

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#3 posted 04-13-2015 09:24 PM

I have the 16-32.

The issue with the breaker is it gets weaker (pops at a lower current) each time it activates. It’s not a thermal breaker so basically it duplicates what the circuit breaker on the house branch circuit does.

That aside, I replaced mine with a better quality 20A unit, never has popped since.

Other gripes, needing to buy extras, is true to a point. As delivered, it works fine (aside from the breaker). The first ‘accessory’ should be the extension tables, but they are priced ridiculously high for what they are.
As Ladislav demonstrates. making your own is possible (and worth it).

#4 posted 04-13-2015 09:28 PM

Thank you :) also if you make your own u can add few inches to it as i did works lil better

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

#5 posted 04-13-2015 10:42 PM

splintergroup
Thanks for your input, I find it very interesting … Just FYI; Years ago I was an electronics tech. and the imported circuit breakers hit the US market … seems that the Asian folks have a different way of rating their components, and many repeated circuit breaker failures were the fault of the breaker it self … looks like it’s still true today.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.