david marks videos

Review by michelletwo posted 04-02-2015 03:05 PM 3621 views 0 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
david marks videos No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been dithering back & forth about writing this review. I ordered video #1 . It had a very pretty table with a copper top, and I wanted to learn how to do the copper. The videos claim to be step by step instruction. Well all episodes are 18 minutes long. How the heck can one give a step by step instruction on building much of anything in 18 mins? And when I watched the video on the copper table, well guess what? He gave ZERO info on how to do anything with the copper top..just told us that one could get the chemicals anywhere. Step by step? really? His videos are darn expensive and should really be upgraded for the price he charges. A lot of repitition in the videos too..I saw how to cut a tenon on a table saw numerous times, and then on a$ 3,000.00 machine most of us will never have, So all in all I give this a 2.

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#1 posted 04-02-2015 03:30 PM

So would you say they’re just reruns from his TV show put on DVD?
I remember an episode where he did show step by step how to do the chemicals on copper.
He may have been forced to remove the details about the chemical treatment on copper because of safety or environmental reasons.

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#2 posted 04-02-2015 04:05 PM

hi nkawtg: yes it apparently reruns of his t.v. show from yrs ago…. 18 mins each
he has another expensive video to sell you about the copper stuff so it has zero to do with safety/environmental stuff.

#3 posted 04-02-2015 10:45 PM

Ah, so he split them up to charge more. That’s a shame.

View Roger's profile

20904 posts in 2710 days

#4 posted 04-02-2015 11:53 PM

Sorry to hear about something like this.

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#5 posted 04-03-2015 01:10 AM

Didn’t WoodWhisper make a vid with Marx? Praised him pretty good if I remember… I wasn’t impressed, so Marx is a nogo to me. I love this post because it lets “others” know what you are getting for your “sawdust”. And as I always end.
Let the Buyer Beware

-- Desert_Woodworker

View WoodNSawdust's profile

WoodNSawdust

#6 posted 04-03-2015 01:28 AM

Thank you for the review. I will steer clear of his videos.

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

#7 posted 04-03-2015 01:46 AM

I checked his website and saw what he is charging for that DVD. For that kind of money I’d respectfully ask for a refund. He might grant the refund, or he might provide the copper/chemical DVD for free, or he might decline to do anything. But I’d ask.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View Moron's profile

Moron

#8 posted 04-03-2015 02:32 AM

asking for a refund for a free cup of coffee often isn’t worth the risk of time served let alone argueing about the raw bacon on your plate

what people fail to realize is that experience cant be sold, or taught in 10 seconds, or given away on the cheap of money invested in dreams of making wallets of those hated

fatter

He/she sold you a video

and you expected a new career ?

seriously ?

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View philba's profile

philba

#9 posted 04-03-2015 03:15 AM

uh, wow. That was breathtakingly incoherent. Living up to your name?

View kaetamer135's profile

kaetamer135

#10 posted 04-03-2015 02:05 PM

uh, wow. That was breathtakingly incoherent. Living up to your name?

- philba

Well done sir! I’m still laughing…

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#11 posted 04-03-2015 04:09 PM

Moron: I am starting to like your post, for creativity/photos ect… As for asking for a refund for a free cup of coffee, I would want to know what the establishments “refund policy” is. Which leads me to advise anyone “check out the refund policy” Take this from experience.
Let the Buyer Beware

-- Desert_Woodworker

#12 posted 04-03-2015 05:40 PM

I’m still working out the significance of the pictures to the post…

View lcwood's profile

lcwood

#13 posted 04-03-2015 08:16 PM

solution: see or get em all for free at internet

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

#14 posted 04-05-2015 08:12 PM

Well here is my humble opinion: David Marks is a great artist and woodworker, he is so knowledgeable and experienced that he has trouble with lowering his thought process to our level as novice and hobbyist woodworkers.

His teaching skills are poor because he lives in a different world.
As an example: On one of his shows he made a “simple” Asian style sitting bench, and I agree it was beautiful. But the wood he used would cost me about $700 to purchase at the local hardwood store. ... Now I ask you, just how many of us will spend $700 for a one person bench to place it out side in the garden??? Come on David we use pallet wood and other salvage wood.

David needs to spend a bit more time With Steve Ramsey and learn that we are just Mere Mortals. (Pun intended)

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

View Andrew Betschman's profile

Andrew Betschman

#15 posted 04-06-2015 08:16 PM

I find all the post disgusting. David is a great woodworker. Way above Steve and norm. That was the point of the whole show. It was never meant to be a hand holding step by step tv show. As far as the chemicals go if would of taken two minutes and look at his web site under the FAQ stction Patination Chemicals you would of seen the link to the chemicals http://www.artchemicals.com/ I find Davids DVDs to be 5 stars.

-- Andrew, Ohio https://www.etsy.com/shop/AndrewBetschman