Oshlun HI-ATB Ultimate General Purpose

Review by eljiggo posted 04-01-2015 02:17 AM 4347 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Oshlun HI-ATB Ultimate General Purpose No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hello Everyone!

After reading a review(a very old review at that) knottscott made on the Oshlun General Purpose 40t, I inquired about the Oshlun ULTIMATE general purpose, a hi-atb general purpose. Noone seemed to know anything, so amazon was nice enough to deliver one to me for $34.30.

First Impressions: The blade has that aesthestic ferocity to it that only a 40t hi-atb blade can present. It was very sharp out of the box. Close inspection of the blade shows large carbide teeth (not quite as large as the freud fusion, but large none the less), with clean brazes. It appears to be a well made blade.

One thing to note: While it shares a similarity to the Infinity Super General and Freud Premier Fusion in the way it looks and its 30* top bevel grind, it does not share the same side grinds. It would be expected that it would not produce the same polished edge those blades do.

Disclaimer: I pulled a freud fusion off the saw to put the oshlun in. That gives you a point of reference as to where I may draw comparisons from – fair or unfair. (a $35 vs a $85 blade). I also own a bosch benchtop saw. You may have very different results with a more substantial saw. The wood I chose to cut is reflective of the saw I own.

I cant stand reviews that are made right after assembling a new tool, prior to even running it. How can I let you know how it works from just looking at it?

Heres what I cut:
Birch Plywood
SPF 2×4
Oak turning blank

The plywood went first. Immediately upon feeding the plywood into the blade, I thought “Wow that cuts quick”. This is a very unscientific analysis, but that thought comes after taking a freud fusion off the saw. It made quick work of the plywood, and I want to say it allowed just as quick feed rate as the freud. No tearout visible on the plywood, however, it did not have the polished edge. Close examination shows spiral saw marks on the face of the cut.

The 2×4 was next, and as expected, no problems. Ripped and crosscut with little to no visible tearout. Similar saw marks on the cut.

The oak turning blank was the last, and it once again was ripped and crosscut with no issues. Great looking cuts with no tearout. But again, the saw marks on the cut.

Whats my obsession with analyzing the peice for the saw marks? I am just so used to the fusions glass smooth finish. I would say this Oshlun leaves marks on the wood similar to the Irwin Marples 50t. I would say it has less tearout, however.

Conclusion:
After these 3 wildly unscientific tests, I would highly recommend this blade if you are looking for a hi-atb general purpose blade, and dont want to spend $80-$120, this is definitely worth checking out. I have a project coming up in which I may be cutting some questionable materials, so i will leave this in the saw and leave the fusion at home.

Thanks for reading!

View eljiggo's profile

eljiggo

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

#1 posted 04-01-2015 09:33 AM

Excellent! Thanks for the groundbreaking review on a formerly unknown entity. Sounds like it’s a pretty good bang for the buck.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

7202 posts in 2080 days

#2 posted 04-01-2015 04:52 PM

Nice review.

Sounds like the Oshlun is an economical way to get into an Hi-ATB blade.

I’ve been using the Fusion for over a year and agree with your comments that the cuts are glass smooth. I was taken aback by how sharp that blade is (largely do to the much more acute angle grinds).

I reviewed it on LJs by simply showing a lot of pics of cuts in various materials, stacked up next to the same cuts with a rip blade and cross cut blade.

One definite issue with the Hi-ATB I have noted is that the bottoms of your cuts are ‘V’ shaped, so if you’re intent is to create a flat bottomed slot, or cut tennons with a TS jig, Hi-ATB may not be your best bet.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View woodenwarrior's profile

woodenwarrior

218 posts in 1946 days

#3 posted 04-02-2015 03:27 AM

I’ve never used their GP blades but I do own their 8” dado set. I bought it about three years ago from Rockler for $69 which was a steal. I can attest that even though the blades are economical, they perform well. I love my dado set and it never fails to give me perfectly flat bottomed dados and grooves. I would definitely recommend this manufacturer for a woodworker on a budget.

-- Do or do not...there is no try - Master Yoda

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#4 posted 04-02-2015 02:48 PM

Thank you for the review eljiggo!

View RibsBrisket4me's profile

RibsBrisket4me

#5 posted 11-26-2015 03:21 AM

I have the same blade and it is full kerf. My Craftsman spins it fine, but there is a noticeable, difference when I put a thin kerf blade on the saw.

Overall I agree, it is a very good blade.