Milling problem on table from manufacturer

Review by RJRosa posted 03-31-2015 05:31 PM 6006 views 0 times favorited 28 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Milling problem on table from manufacturer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Update
This is a review of the customer service I’ve received from Grizzly for the above mentioned G0691 which arrived defective. I have not been able to use the saw yet and I will review that at a later time. If I ever get a working version.

So I’ve been a member for a while but haven’t posted yet. I’m in the process of setting up my new 24×24 shop. After reading countless reviews and looking at my budget I decided on using the Grizzly brand for my large power tools. Well bonus time came around and the wife decided it was time to get started outfitting my shop and we agreed to use most of it for tools and electrical updates. I upgraded my electrical to 100 A and placed a order for a G0691, a G0453 and a G0513ANV edition. I already have the G0452P joiner. I figured that’s the big four. I’ll get a few other things down the line. Anyway I received my order yesterday and unboxed the table saw and found the defect in the miter slot on the cast iron table. I included a picture. Currently working with customer service to replace the table. My question is how difficult is this? Is it just four bolts and realignment? What would you do? Before anyone gets started yes I’d love a sawstop but no it isn’t in my budget.

The defect is 5 inches long..

Thanks for the input..

View sawdustjunkie's profile

sawdustjunkie

#1 posted 03-31-2015 05:56 PM

That one sure missed any kind of quality control. I have that saw and it had a few problems that Grizzly took care of very fast. There customer service is quite good, at least what I have asked of them, they took care of it very fast.
I am sure they will send you a new top. It is held on with 4 bolts, it will just take a little time to realign it. Just take your time with the setup.
I really love mine and it cuts thru anything.
When you consider where these things come from and that they are all boxed up when Grizzly gets them, I am sure they don’t unbox them and re inspect every machine they sell before shipping.

-- Steve: Franklin, WI

#2 posted 03-31-2015 06:04 PM

Thanks for the reply.. Funny thing I was going to go with the G1023 5HP saw but they we’re out but were supposed to be back in on the same Friday. I called that Friday and they said it would be several days before they shipped out as they needed to look each saw over and make sure they were up to Grizzly standards. I do have faith they will make it right. They’ve been helpful so far. I was going to adjust the table anyways so it shouldn’t be an issue. I can’t wait to get it all set up. I was thinking I’d put a router in the extension table. I have a Triton TRA001 with the Kreg plate for that set up. Do you think the material of the extension is up to holding that or would it compromise the structural integrity of the table?

View jakep_82's profile

jakep_82

#3 posted 03-31-2015 07:53 PM

Wow, how did they miss that?

When you remove the existing top, take note of any shims. They sometimes need to shim the top so the blade stays parallel to the miter slots when you adjust the blade to 45 degrees.

View OhioMike's profile

OhioMike

#4 posted 03-31-2015 07:54 PM

When you remove the old table, be sure to check for any shims. If your saw has them, they’ll be between the cabinet and the cast iron top at one or more of the bolt locations.

If you find any, make a note of which shim went where and put them back in the same position when you reassemble with the new cast iron top.

Although the new top may require different shims (or no shims at all), putting the old ones back where they were is a good place to start.

Mike

#5 posted 03-31-2015 08:11 PM

Thanks everyone for the reminder on the shims. I think I should request the bald guy on the videos come down and set it up for me. lol He can bring the quiet engineer guy too and they can adjust my planer. :)

View DrDirt's profile

DrDirt

#6 posted 04-01-2015 03:47 AM

Good luck, I an only imagine how frustrating it is when you have waited a long time and dropped a ton of money.

Maybe with tax refund time, there are just a surge in tool buying, but it seems there are a lot of Grizzly table saw complaints (multiple models) over the past few weeks.

-- “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain

#7 posted 04-01-2015 02:49 PM

Update

I just got off the phone with Grizzly. They are arranging a freight pick up and I need to pack up the table top send it in then they will send a replacement back. I asked how long this will take and was told about two weeks total. Yippee… He agreed it looks like a manufacturers defect. I don’t like the feeling I got talking to the guy in PA. Even though it was a problem of theirs I was made to feel like the burden of proof responsibility to resolve this was mine. I understand the process and that they need the part back before they can ship out a replacement but they really should have been more empathetic and offered me some sort of trivial compensation.

View soob's profile

soob

#8 posted 04-01-2015 09:44 PM

They don’t “need” the part back to ship you a replacement. They just want it for some obnoxious reason, maybe to give them time to get one from Taiwan or whatever they come from.

View Lumberpunk's profile

Lumberpunk

#9 posted 04-01-2015 09:50 PM

They should send you the new table and you send the defective one back in their packaging… Lee Valley Style. Methinks.

-- If someone tells you you have enough tools and don't need any more, stop talking to them, you don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

#10 posted 04-01-2015 09:53 PM

I asked about sending me one out first but they said “This is a 600 dollar part and we’ve been burned too many times”. On the plus side I had them agree to send me a shim kit in case I need to shim the table for alignment.

View soob's profile

soob

#11 posted 04-01-2015 10:59 PM

It’s not like you asked them for a motor or something. It’s a cast iron table saw top. Not exactly a thriving resale market for those.

View DrDirt's profile

DrDirt

#12 posted 04-02-2015 04:58 AM

I asked about sending me one out first but they said “This is a 600 dollar part and we ve been burned too many times”. On the plus side I had them agree to send me a shim kit in case I need to shim the table for alignment.

- RJRosa

That sucks – even with photos, they decided to lump you in with the riff raff and make you prove they screwed up in Quality control.

I wonder just what are people supposedly doing with “spare tables” anyway. Replacing a tabletop is a multi hour PITA, that you shouldn’t have to deal with on a brand new saw. Upside is you will know your saw inside-out and be nuts on accurate in the end

NOTE – - -Check the flatness of the table before you go through the hassle of getting it lined up… sometimes the UPS guys aren’t so careful

#13 posted 04-02-2015 02:04 PM

Agreed.. I took off the table last night and wrapped it in thick cardboard. I taped her up good and I think I’ll strap it to a pallet and have UPS freight sent it back. Now if I only had that shipping label. The table did have shims on 3 corners. I put them all back where they were. It is pretty cool to see the inside. One question I have is this comes new coated in oil. I know you’re supposed to clean it all off on the outside but the trunions (spelling?) are coated as well. How much of that should I clean off? The gears are coated in a thick grease. Sawdust and sticky stuff.. opinions?

View WoodNSawdust's profile

WoodNSawdust

#14 posted 04-02-2015 03:13 PM

Ask to speak with a supervisor. Explain the problems caused by the delay. Offer a credit card number if they REALLY THINK YOU ARE OUT TO STEEL FROM THEM (capitalization intended). I doubt they will accuse you of wanting to steel their table top. Tell them you don’t have sufficient packing materials to safely ship the old top back and would like to use the packing materials they send the new top with. Mention that you posted this and are going to blog about the delay. Perhaps they will reconsider and send you the top first.

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

#15 posted 04-02-2015 04:23 PM

Funny thing I wrapped it up in the thick cardboard they shipped the saw to me in. I do agree about the ship back first but in the end it’s not worth fighting them. I will keep this in mind for the future and if I need other service I might be more of a hard A$$. If I earned my living with the saw I would definitely be on it and much more insistent.