Last bandages you'll ever use for the shop

Review by woodenwarrior posted 03-29-2015 02:24 AM 4192 views 2 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Last bandages you'll ever use for the shop Last bandages you'll ever use for the shop No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m pretty certain I’m going to catch crap for posting this product for review because it’s not necessarily a woodworking product but I believe that once you hear me out you’ll think twice and be willing to give the product a try.

Every wood worker gets boo-boos. It’s in the nature of our passion. I have yet to find a band-aid like product that will sufficiently cover the wound and stay stuck while still being able to use my hands in the motions I require when working the wood, especially in weird areas of the hands(ie, the palm of the hand).

Enter Nexcare waterproof bandages. My wife bought a box of these last week and they are worth every penny she paid. They resemble hospital IV covers and stay stuck right where they’re supposed to. I pinched a chunk of flesh off of my palm three days ago while dry fitting a cabinet. The bandage has yet to come off and continues to cover the wound perfectly discouraging blood from staining the wood I’m working on.

Every woodworker would do well to have these in their first aid kit.

View PASs's profile

PASs

#1 posted 03-29-2015 02:31 AM

I LOVE these bandages!!!
I’m on my 3rd or 4th box.
(That didn’t come out right did it.)
I think they also come with A&D ointment added as well.

-- Pete, "It isn't broken, you just aren't using it right."

#2 posted 03-29-2015 02:41 AM

It sounds like you need something more than a SawStop LOL! I am most definitely a believer! I wouldn’t post it if I didn’t think someone would get something from it.

View jumbojack's profile

jumbojack

#3 posted 03-29-2015 03:47 AM

Do you find it strange that we only cover wounds to ‘keep the blood’ off our projects?

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

#4 posted 03-29-2015 04:20 AM

I’m most definitely a “paper towel and duct tape” kind of guy. But if it allows me the freedom of movement to finish a project unimpeded, then I’m all for it.

View Handtooler's profile

Handtooler

#5 posted 03-29-2015 06:53 AM

I’ve used these in favor of other bandage products for a number of years. And. yes they are very flexible while allowing you to wash your hands of grime and to shower witout coming loose. last for several days with healing antibiotic ointment on the wound. At my age my skin is thin and I seem to puncture much easier than when I was younger. These and peroxide to the recue! Thanks for posting a review.

-- Russell Pitner Hixson, TN 37343 bassboy40@outlook.com

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#6 posted 03-29-2015 12:34 PM

It sounds like it would be good to have it in a first aid kit.

helluvawreck aka Charles

-- helluvawreck aka Charles, http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

View SirFatty's profile

SirFatty

#7 posted 03-29-2015 12:57 PM

I work with a maintenance guy that uses superglue to seal his cuts.

-- Visit my blog at dave.spalla.com

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#8 posted 03-29-2015 04:59 PM

I’m pretty certain I m going to catch crap for posting this product for review because it s not necessarily a woodworking product …

Au contraire … these fall into the category of Workshop Supplies (at least in my shop).

View abie's profile

abie

#9 posted 03-29-2015 05:04 PM

Forget the bandages… use CA glue
It was developed for use in WWII to be an instant Bandage
I recently caught my thumb in a sander and wipped out my nail and some flesh.
poured on CA glue and the bleeding stopped..
Went to the ER and before I could find a parking spot the wound was healing so well, no pain that I chose to forego the Er and drove home
today a week later the wound is completely healed and no sign of trouble,

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

View Bluepine38's profile

Bluepine38

#10 posted 03-29-2015 05:37 PM

I have the same old skin problem as Handtooler, I find the cuts heal faster with ointment and a bandaid, but
have had trouble keeping them on my palms and other spots, will be trying the Nexcare and remembering
to get a new tube of CA glue. Thank you for sharing.

-- As ever, Gus-the 79 yr young apprentice carpenter

View Joe Andrews's profile

Joe Andrews

68 posts in 2052 days

#11 posted 03-29-2015 11:39 PM

CA works wonders, but don’t make the mistake of using accelerator. I poked a screwdriver bit through my thumbnail once and figured I’d fill the hole with medium CA. Since it was taking a little while to dry, I hit it with accelerator. When CA fires off, it also heats up. A lot. Felt like someone stuck a hot soldering iron through my thumb! Couldn’t do anything but hop around and yell!

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#12 posted 03-29-2015 11:44 PM

Felt like someone stuck a hot soldering iron through my thumb!

Which probably explains why the Army Medics only carried super glue and de-bonder!

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

7739 posts in 2060 days

#13 posted 03-30-2015 12:01 AM

SirFatty … do we work together??? LOL I do that! (Because it works)

And as a side note, back in 2004 when I had triple bypass surgery, that’s what the surgeon used to close my chest! So I dont have a “zipper” like MOST heart surgery patients have, I have this lumpy, globby MESS on my chest.

But these look interesting enough that I’ll probably pick up a box next time we’re in the drug store.

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#14 posted 03-30-2015 03:39 AM

you would need to do a review of Depends if you were going to catch crap

thanks for sharing I will have to pick some of these up

just hope I will not end up needing them

View Bluepine38's profile

Bluepine38

#15 posted 03-30-2015 03:06 PM

The problem with the depends is we would have to know ahead of time that we were going to do something
catastrophic enough to need them, and if we knew that, hopefully we would be intelligent enough not to
do it. I think I may have learned that much, at least I no longer think of cruise control on a motorcycle as
locking the throttle wide open.

-- As ever, Gus-the 79 yr young apprentice carpenter