WoodRiver #62 Low Angle Jack Plane

Review by Redoak90 posted 03-26-2015 02:44 PM 7672 views 2 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
WoodRiver #62 Low Angle Jack Plane WoodRiver #62 Low Angle Jack Plane No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought the WoodRiver #62 a few weeks ago and I have really enjoyed using it. Out of the box it requires a little tuning but only 30 minutes or so. The blades were not sharp at all and they were not flat either. Using DMT diamond stones coarse and fine then a leather strop the blades sharpened up quickly and hold an edge all day. The sides are square and the sole is reasonably flat. There was a slight hollow in the sole but I was able to remove it by running it along a 4”x36” piece of sandpaper for a belt sander glued to a piece of MDF. I bought his plane to handle some curly cherry I was using to make a night stand and it handled it flawlessly. I purchased an extra blade with a 40 degree bevel and when using this blade it leaves an incredible finished surface on curly cherry. The fit and finish of this plane is very good and I could not find any imperfections in the wood handles or the castings, except for the sole not being 100% flat.

I would recommend this plane to anyone looking for their first plane because of the versatility this plane offers.

View Redoak90's profile

Redoak90

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#1 posted 03-26-2015 02:50 PM

Thanks for the review. I’ll reference it on the Handplane of your dreams thread. Yesterday was #62 day.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View SteveHas's profile

SteveHas

#2 posted 03-26-2015 06:14 PM

Thank you for the input. I have been wanting this since I saw it released in the woodcraft catalog.
All the other Woodriver planes I have owned seem to have these little problems, but for cost I am willing to put a little love into the tool.

View Redoak90's profile

Redoak90

#3 posted 03-26-2015 06:42 PM

I am sure the Lie Nielsen has zero issues right out of the box but since I’m not a professional I can’t justify the price tag. I know Lie Nielsen would probably say, “You only have to buy it once and your grand kids will be using it one day” and I agree but unfortunately my wife does not.

Woodcraft has done an excellent job of bringing high quality tools at a reasonable price to a broader market. I would not buy all of the WoodRiver branded tools but I sure would purchase more of their handplanes.

I am able to get shavings as thin as 2 thousandths which to me is incredible. I couldn’t be happier

View SirIrb's profile

SirIrb

#4 posted 03-26-2015 07:13 PM

...and my grandkids can get a freaking job and buy their own. I am taking all my tools to the grave.
Good review. Thanks,

I am sure the Lie Nielsen has zero issues right out of the box but since I m not a professional I can t justify the price tag. I know Lie Nielsen would probably say, “You only have to buy it once and your grand kids will be using it one day” and I agree but unfortunately my wife does not.

I am able to get shavings as thin as 2 thousandths which to me is incredible. I couldn t be happier

- Redoak90

-- Don't blame me, I voted for no one.

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

#5 posted 03-27-2015 12:13 AM

Good review. Thanks,

LOL!

Buy the WoodRiver and then deposit the $100 you saved in a trust fund. I bet your grandkids will be happier with the cash (plus a used WoodRiver that will still do its job)!

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View Julian's profile

Julian

#6 posted 03-27-2015 03:18 PM

I purchased the same plane a few months ago. I had no issues. I honed the blade but I also honed the blade on my one and only Lie Nielson block plane. The Wood River planes are an excellent value and well made. I purchased a new Stanley #4 plane a few years ago and I would rate it lower than the Wood River.

-- Julian

View kiefer's profile

kiefer

#7 posted 03-29-2015 03:13 AM

Why not buy this one much nicer and about the same cost .
And made in North America .

-- Kiefer https://www.youtube.com/user/woodkiefer1/videos

View jakep_82's profile

jakep_82

#8 posted 03-30-2015 06:19 PM

Why not buy this one much nicer and about the same cost .
And made in North America .

- kiefer

The Veritas plane is $259 shipped, and would take a week and a half to reach me. I can drive 30 minutes to a Woodcraft and walk out with one of these for $200. If I wait for a sale I can get it for $180.

Also, everything I’ve read would lead me to believe these are very close in quality to Veritas. I own a Woodriver block plane, and I’ve used the 4-1/2 smoother in store. I’ve found no faults in either that would lead me to believe the Veritas is worth the extra money other than the country of manufacture.

View JohnChung's profile

JohnChung

#9 posted 03-31-2015 03:38 PM

I am not sure if the quality if comparable to the LV LAJ. The side thickness are not the same for one.
Anyway it is a good purchase.

View OSU55's profile

OSU55

1922 posts in 2161 days

#10 posted 04-01-2015 12:22 PM

The Veritas BU LAJ is $45 more & well worth that $45 premium

View TechTeacher04's profile

TechTeacher04

#11 posted 04-20-2015 02:22 PM

You mentioned the 30 minute set-up time. My Lie-Nielsen was ready to run out of the box. Wood River planes are not made in the USA, Lie-Nielsen’s are. Just my $0.02

View SPFM's profile

SPFM

#12 posted 05-08-2015 11:17 PM

The L.N. cost $245. I wouldn’t consider that a deal breaker. Not to mention, it’s ready to go out of the box. Just put on a micro bevel and plane away! For most woodworkers, Wood River tools are fine. What’s important is, you like it, that’s all that matters :)

View SFP's profile

SFP

#13 posted 08-06-2015 01:46 AM

Bought a Woodriver #5 for a friend of mine. But I went to the store with a square and straight edge and sent through the plane from top to bottom. Rejected two of them and on the third had them replace the lever cap. That is the only way I would buy a Woodriver product.