Review of Trend Tool & Bit Cleaner

Review by Lee posted 03-25-2015 04:26 PM 3186 views 0 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Review of Trend Tool & Bit Cleaner Review of Trend Tool & Bit Cleaner Review of Trend Tool & Bit Cleaner Click the pictures to enlarge them

After reading so many good things about this product, I decided to try it myself. I did a comparison using the Trend Tool and Bit cleaner and just some penetrating oil that I was using before.

First pic shows a saw blade that I’ve chosen to try the Trend on first. 2nd pic shows how I divided up the saw, into two sides. One side I cleaned with the Trend, and the other with just simple penetrating oil (like WD-40). This one from Ashburns. I let each half of the blade soak in each cleaner for about a half-hour. Wiped off with a cloth, and was pretty amazed on how well the Trend worked. I think I also used an old toothbrush on the tough spots. It also works really well on router bits. I will always keep some of this good stuff on hand!!

View BTimmons's profile

BTimmons

#1 posted 03-25-2015 06:56 PM

That’s something I definitely overlook, is cleaning my blades. Good to have some thought put into this, thanks for the review.

-- Brian Timmons - http://www.BigTWoodworks.com

#2 posted 03-25-2015 07:52 PM

I have been using straight Ammonia for years it works great for me, it is very inexpensive and I do not mind the smell.

View Dj1225's profile

Dj1225

#3 posted 03-25-2015 10:19 PM

Rockler makes another product that works very well. They have a kit that comes with a nice round container that you can pour the cleaner in. Up to a 12 inch blade sits up nice and it is easy to clean. I just leave the cleaner in the container. I also use the Trend, but usually on router bits. The other day I put some of the Rockler solution in a small plastic yogurt cup and dropped a pretty used router bit in it. I forgot and left it in the solution for a couple of days. It was almost shiny when it came out. I don’t think it effected the bit, but it definitely cleaned it up.

-- Dave

View longgone's profile

longgone

#4 posted 03-25-2015 10:39 PM

The best and really affordable blade and bit cleaner i have used is oven cleaner from the Dollar General store.
it has a strong odor but my simple solution is to use it outside. It works fast and I just let it stay on the blade a couple of minutes and then rinse off with water

#5 posted 03-26-2015 01:29 AM

Currently, I use Simply Green, soak according to the build up. Then I use a brass bristle brush, very gently. This has been for saw blades. Now that I am using very expensive bits (Amana), and watching this Trends vid-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E9Pdt9RYJk. I will order a 18oz of “Thrends” for it was from watching this vid that hooked me ( if you watch it notice that he isn’t wearing gloves ). Thanks for the review, for it brought to re-think “cleaning”

View sawdustjunkie's profile

sawdustjunkie

#6 posted 03-26-2015 02:22 AM

Simple green works great. I try to keep them clean so there is very little buildup.

-- Steve: Franklin, WI

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#7 posted 03-26-2015 02:47 AM

Simple green is great but do not soak your blades in it for too long. Wash with water once clean. It can eat into the bonding compounds if left on.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

#8 posted 03-26-2015 03:20 AM

thanks

View GFactor's profile

GFactor

#9 posted 03-26-2015 09:53 AM

Now that I am using very expensive bits (Amana), and watching this Trends vid-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E9Pdt9RYJk. I will order a 18oz of “Thrends” for it was from watching this vid that hooked me ( if you watch it notice that he isn t wearing gloves ). Thanks for the review, for it brought to re-think “cleaning”

- Desert_Woodworker

WOW! Very Impressive Video! I am now hooked as well and will be placing an order today.

Cheers!

-- To Steal Ideas From One Person is Plagiarism; to Steal From Many is Research…

View OSU55's profile

OSU55

#10 posted 03-26-2015 02:08 PM

Ammonia works great for me, is very cheap, and readily available at most grocery stores.

View abie's profile

abie

#11 posted 03-26-2015 03:27 PM

Read the other reviews of Trend.
Better but much more expensive than simple green.

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

View jakep_82's profile

jakep_82

#12 posted 03-26-2015 04:50 PM

For anyone that wants a container to clean table saw blades, try an oil pan from Harbor Freight. With a 20% off coupon it’s under $5, and it’s the perfect size for 10” blades. I’ve been using one for a couple years.

#13 posted 03-27-2015 01:44 PM

Glad to see my review was helpful! Thanks for the video DW! I forgot to mention the part about cleaning the router bits and it’s also suppose to help lubricate and prohibit rust, as well. I know since I’ve been using Trend, I see very little, if any, rust on my tools/bits. I spray my bits with Trend, after every use, and the residue just wipes off. Saw blades get cleaned, every so often, so they have to soak just a bit and then wipe off.

#14 posted 03-27-2015 04:25 PM

Thank you for posting, for I never would have thought of Trends. $20 for a bottle that will last for a long time.
Again, I have a lot of $$$ invested in Forrest saw blades and Amana CNC bits. A guy has to protect his investments.
Also, I will be using Trends as a rust preventer on my Table saw and Jointer beds (per the video)

#15 posted 04-13-2015 04:17 PM

I did another blade this weekend. I had forgotten about this Freud plywood blade I had bought a few years ago and then put it away, without cleaning it (before I even had heard of Trend). It was gummed up pretty bad. So I sprayed some trend on it and let it sit for like 10 minutes, then used a plastic bristled brush and that blade looked like new when I was finished.