Veritas Premium Block Plane

Review by Derek Cohen posted 11-27-2008 05:44 PM 6985 views 1 time favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Veritas Premium Block Plane No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have a full review (too long to fit here) on my website: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasPremiumBlockPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

-- Buildiing furniture, and reviewing and building tools at http://www.inthewoodshop.com

View Derek Cohen's profile

Derek Cohen

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#1 posted 11-27-2008 06:45 PM

I bought one of these and love it. I brought it in to show my (woodworker-hobbiest) boss. He referred to it as “male jewelry.”

View ChicoWoodnut's profile

ChicoWoodnut

#2 posted 11-27-2008 07:27 PM

That is one sweet looking tool. It looks kinda Deco in a Buck Rogers sort of way. All it lacks is sparks and smoke shooting out the back. What wielder of tools can resist? It begs to be touched; to be held.

Thanks for the review,

BTW, how do you get on the LV “feedback” list?

-- Scott - Chico California http://chicowoodnut.home.comcast.net

View USCJeff's profile

USCJeff

#3 posted 11-27-2008 07:52 PM

I’m w/ Rikkor, male jewelry. Having not used it, I can only say, it looks really cool!

-- Jeff, South Carolina

View Tomcat1066's profile

Tomcat1066

#4 posted 11-27-2008 10:10 PM

I’ve considered offering my wife in trade for one of these, but decided against it. She’s to supportive of my woodworking to trade in. Besides, I’m pretty sure I can afford one of these bad boys eventually :)

-- "Give me your poor tools, your tired steel, your huddled masses of rust." Yep, I ripped off the Statue of Liberty. That's how I roll!

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#5 posted 11-28-2008 04:44 PM

very nice review! thats makes me want this plane a lot. can’t afford one though. ill stick with buying an LN for now but this one will always be in the back of my mind for someday!

View christopheralan's profile

christopheralan

#6 posted 11-28-2008 04:47 PM

I gotta say, that is one smokin’ plane!

-- christopheralan http://www.projectwoodworks.com

View jerry mayfield's profile

jerry mayfield

#7 posted 11-28-2008 05:13 PM

While I’m sure they are good planes they are very expensive for a block plane.

Regards

Jerry

-- jerry,mlchigan

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

#8 posted 11-28-2008 08:56 PM

Drool. But way down on the list of things to acquire…

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

View Chris Wright's profile

Chris Wright

#9 posted 11-28-2008 09:13 PM

Every Veritas plane I have used has been great, I just wish I could afford to buy some. Great review.

-- "At its best, life is completely unpredictable." - Christopher Walken

View Loren's profile

Loren

#10 posted 11-28-2008 11:50 PM

Leonard Lee tried to launch a line of planes back in the 80s… and
it didn’t fly. It was only after Lie Nielsen’s boutique planes started
to get popular that Lee Valley started to make bench planes again.

-- http://lawoodworking.com

View daiku1's profile

daiku1

#11 posted 11-30-2008 11:24 AM

Looks very cool, but low on the list of desired planes. I have Stanleys, LN and Veritas already. Don’t think I could justify this eye candy. Now, if they were to do an Infill plane….

-- jim

View Oscar's profile

Oscar

#12 posted 11-30-2008 06:14 PM

i’m sure it’s a great tool – almost all LV stuff is – but $279 for a BLOCK PLANE is just ridiculous. and i say this as somebody who uses several LN and LV hand planes. i understand that quality tools are not (and should not be) inexpensive, but this is crazy.

-- It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues - Abraham Lincoln

View Thos. Angle's profile

Thos. Angle

#13 posted 12-01-2008 11:48 PM

Great review. thanks, but $279 is a bunch. I just bought a brand new Miller’s Falls adjustable mouth, low angle, block plane for $10. I think it will really do a great job once it’s tuned up.

-- Thos. Angle, Jordan Valley, Oregon

View grumpycarp's profile

grumpycarp

#14 posted 12-02-2008 10:15 AM

I wish to coin a phrase, “The Slipper Plane”. or perhaps the “Princess Plane”. Looks like a slipper, a ballet slipper en pointe, and it’s also interesting that the so called “grips” are not in line with the resistance with that which the tool might encounter but run along the sides, possibly reducing grip if one actually needed it at all on a small plane, but . . .

It’s a purse. Doesn’t do any more than the cheaper version except wear a monogram, demand attention and demonstrate the adage that “A fool and their money are some party . . .”

View bearandfox's profile

bearandfox

3 posts in 2010 days

#15 posted 03-24-2009 10:00 PM

this may be a little late but I too was truly excited that there was a contender to LN’s crown as current king of premium quality planes, I myself own several Record planes albeit from previous decades & I love them but wouldn’t touch a Record (Irwin) nowadays. One day Clifton will start producing block planes to complement their range of superb planes, how they excel in quality they lack in range unfortunately so when I saw that this beautiful shiny new design was here I was genuinely excited, I appreciate quality but am certainly not averse to change, or a new concept so it was with little trepidation I picked up this plane at the Great Northern Woodworking show in Harrogate (Nov 08) and I was blown away, the styling is like some kinda 50’s/60’s concept car, the weight is great, but then I discovered & I can’t believe no-one else has commented in any review at all…the Veritas or ‘V’ logo on the inset plate is PLASTIC!!! For me personally I was seriously close to parting with some cash for this plane until I felt this, how can you make something so beautifully & finish it so cheaply, surely there can’t have been that much of a saving between the plastic cap & a forged/milled cap & also at this price don’t your customers deserve the best?

-- Dan, Steel City, UK