A fine little press for hobby-scale work

Review by ferstler posted 11-24-2008 11:22 PM 6221 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A fine little press for hobby-scale work No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I own a Ridgid 15-inch drill press that is terrific for larger-scale projects. (I’d write a review here, but somebody else has already done that with decent skill, although I did post some comments on that review entry.) However, the Ridgid is overkill for some smaller operations, and so I also have the illustrated 10-inch Ryobi mounted on a bench for lightweight stuff. When I purchased it several years back it cost $99 bucks, which is a credit to Chinese production economies. Unfortunately, it has been discontinued, but may be available used. A later version is now available from Home Depot, as is a somewhat larger 12 incher.

This Ryobi press works fine. It has a 1/4 HP, 3-amp induction motor, five spindle speeds (570 to 3050 rpm), a 2.5-inch spindle travel, and a weight of 64 pounds. Put it on a sturdy bench. Like many of my stationary tools, I installed a wooden table over the cast-iron original to prevent hard metal from dinging or scuffing my assorted workpieces.

While this device is discontinued, I still feel safe in recommending it in used form or recommending its replacement (or any number of other brands in this size category) for light-duty work. I would never give up my big floor-standing press, but I find this smaller item very useful, too.

Howard Ferstler

#1 posted 11-25-2008 08:51 AM

I also have a small Chinese bench top model that performs like a champ as well as my JET floor model . I really like your table addition and might have to steal it sometime soon ! I see you also use it as a sander : ) Nice job …

View kosta's profile

kosta

#2 posted 05-12-2009 05:20 AM

how good is this drill press compared to the skil drill press

-- kosta Virginia Beach, VA http://www.kostasworkshop.blogspot.com/

#3 posted 05-12-2009 05:49 AM

good review thanks

View Miket's profile

Miket

#4 posted 05-12-2009 05:59 AM

I have a little one like that (don’t remember the brand) and they are great for little things.

-- It's better to have people think you're stupid rather than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

#5 posted 05-13-2009 02:00 AM

Hi, Kosta,

I have no idea how they compare. I suggest that you look closely at each, checking each feature that you consider important. For example check the drill-depth gauges to see how they compare. The Ryobi has that round gauge, whereas other brands sometimes have a shaft-type gauge that some users prefer. Check the table sizes and compare their fences and also the tilt adjustment with the table. (I rarely use a fence with a band saw, myself, but maybe that is important to you.) Check things like the tracking adjustment and whether or not the thing has a quick release for the blade tension.

My guess is that they are probably about equal in overall performance, but one may appeal to you more than the other for reasons involving one of the esoteric features.

Howard

View Straightlines's profile

Straightlines

#6 posted 05-27-2014 11:18 PM

Great little DP. Precise, tight, plenty powerful for most woodworking operations and many metal operations too. Portable! I happen to like its depth stop, but my only issue with it is the clearance between the column and spindle.

-- Cut twice, measure once ... DOH!

#7 posted 05-27-2014 11:50 PM

I recently sold my small drill press, small miter saw, small tabletop belt sander, small jobsite saw, and small band saw to my neighbor across the street, who uses all of them in various projects, most of which are small-scale enough for those tools to be in their elements. I probably would have kept all of them, but my shop is small and I needed the extra bench-top and floor space. I actually sometimes miss the drill press considerably when I am doing work that involves switching back and forth between, say, conventional drill bits and countersink bits. Ditto the band saw, when I have to sometimes do small circular cuts and sometimes have to cut decent straight lines. Saves changing out the band blades. Having the extra press, as well as the other small tools, would allow for a bit more speed. In any case, I stand by everything I said about all of those units, including those I have reviewed elsewhere in my initial reviews on this site. Small, econo-grade tools have their uses, especially when working with smaller workpieces.

Howard