The Mirka Deros Sander... I LOVE IT!

Review by Joe Lyddon posted 03-23-2015 07:22 PM 9497 views 0 times favorited 39 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Mirka Deros Sander...  I LOVE IT! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I LOVE it!

This Mirka Deros 5 in. Random Orbit Sander wonderful!

It works SO Effortlessly and Quietly it’s amazing!

I also got the Hose... It would NOT connect to my Ridgid shop vac hose… a visit to Home Depot for a converter kit solved that problem!

I also got some Abranet sanding disks and the Pad Savers.

I had some very ROUGH slabs of Black Walnut to use as a Test piece.

I had some 5 hole H&L sand paper disks.

I was started with 60 grit 5 hole sandpaper disks… I was very much surprised how well they worked! ... The vac. got ALL of the dust… NOT a speck! So, if you have a supply of old 5 hole paper disks THEY ARE STILL GOOD!
I went through the grits… 60, 80 with older paper disks…

Then I switched to the Abranet disks... 120, 220, and 400 grits.
All went smooth and easy! The super rough Walnut ended up to be as smooth as a baby’s butt!
The Abranet disks didn’t show any signs of wear… a very good BUY for the money!

The test piece of Walnut I used was about 14in. x 36in. and I did BOTH sides!

The shop vac was louder than the sander! ... The sander is super quiet… and fits the hand VERY WELL!

I did wear gloves that had open fingers… Noticed hardly any strain.

I LOVE the sander… I’m glad I wasn’t able to get the Ceros (due to personal problems) and went for this Deros when things were better, even though it costed more. (was worth the wait)

I had decided I had to get a good sander with EXCELLENT DUST COLLECTION CONTROL because I had a bad experience with sanding Walnut without the good dust control… it really messed me up… eyes & lungs… I could NOT go through that again!

This sander is WORTH every penny just for the Dust Control! ... It works perfectly! ... I did NOT notice ONE SPECK of uncollected dust! ... from start to finish!

If you are concerned about Dust Control, I’m convinced… This is SUPER GOOD!
You will be VERY HAPPY with it!

Of course, I could say “For this price, it should be GOOD” ... It is & then some!

Thank you, Mirka, for a Super product!

View CharlesNeil's profile

CharlesNeil

#1 posted 03-23-2015 08:03 PM

Joe,

I agree the price tag is a bit steep, but We have both the Deros and the Ceros… Since we do it professionally, the price pill is a bit easier to swallow, however I think they are one of the best sanders out there and I agree dust collection is excellent.

Since the girls help me sand some and as I have gotten older, I find the size and ergonomics to be a huge help, especially if the girls are using them. (:

View dgage's profile

dgage

#2 posted 03-23-2015 08:19 PM

I am a big Festool guy and have several Festool sanders, RO150 and ETS150/3 pertinent to this discussion. I started getting carpal tunnel from sanding vertically with the ETS150 along with having issues keeping it flat since it is so tall so I started considering the Ceros. I have had the Ceros over 6 months now and I hardly ever use my Festool sanders now. Low profile nature and even less vibration are the two things I like most. So it is an expensive sander but for me it has replaced my aggressive and my fine Festool sanders and I don’t feel I’m missing anything. I’ll likely keep the RO150 in case I do any heavy duty sanding and don’t want to abuse my nice Ceros. The ETS150 I guess can find a new home.

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#3 posted 03-23-2015 08:48 PM

Thanks for the review and information. Like dgage, I’m a big Festool fan but have discovered there are better tools out there, like the Mafel P1cc Jig Saw. So, now I’ll have to check your choice out. However, could tell me the difference between the Deros and the Ceros? Thanks again for your review.

#4 posted 03-23-2015 09:19 PM

I looked at the Festool… I liked what saw in the Ceros… reviews, etc.

I think the ONLY difference between the Ceros & Deros are the way they are powered.

Ceros requires a separate Power Supply that plugs into the wall & the Ceros is plugged into it; just more stuff to get in the way & store somewhere.

Deros plugs directly into the wall… like everything else… Much easier, IMHO.

If there is more, from a technical standpoint, I don’t know.

NOTE: That yellow box is the Case that it was shipped in that can hold everything plus sand paper, etc.

I forgot to mention…
The Manual sucks… it’s very thick with about 6 pages for each Country in the world… I ended up just CUTTING OUT all of the foreign stuff… Now, in the 6 pages, it was really NOT very helpful… no real details on operating it or maintaining it… More could be probably be obtained from their website & their videos.

But, how much to do you really need to know about a Sander? LOL

View CharlesNeil's profile

CharlesNeil

#5 posted 03-23-2015 09:35 PM

Well I wasnt going here with this, but I have had several folks in my classes try the Mirka sanders, who were die hard Festool guys and they all agreed the Mirka was their choice, Several had every sander Festool sell’s.

Just saying

While we love the ceros, the Deros, seems to be the chosen child.. I like either, the Girls especially like the Deros, it just seems a bit more ergonomically fitting. Its just “sweet” .

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#6 posted 03-23-2015 10:41 PM

Thanks for the review, Joe. I have a low profile PC that I have used for years here in Anchorage. I have the smaller Festool sander in La Conner. At this point don’t need a new sander, but will look at the Ceros if the need occurs. I had read about the DC motors, but haven’t heard much about the products.

All is well here. Just finishing up a new router table. Will be posting it, and some resaw fences as well…......but don’t hold your breath. Work is bogging me down, but not for long…........

Have a good one. Lot of daylight here now, but still cold at times. Looking forward to Spring…..........

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

7108 posts in 1949 days

#7 posted 03-24-2015 12:38 AM

Joe, I have looked at these and thought it to be an excellent sander. Respectfully I could not take the plunge at the time and passed on it . I use a downdraft table on a daily basis and settled for the standard ROS. Good information to know for future reference. Thanks Joe.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

#8 posted 03-24-2015 12:41 AM

I looked at the Festool… I liked what saw in the Ceros… reviews, etc.

Deros plugs directly into the wall… like everything else… Much easier, IMHO.

If there is more, from a technical standpoint, I don’t know.

#9 posted 03-24-2015 01:07 AM

Jim Bertelson

I’m not sure, but the Ceros may be discontinued now; replaced by the Deros…
I couldn’t find the Ceros on Amazon where I was watching them before…

I think the Deros is worth the extra $$

I could NOT find One Speck of Dust while sanding that board… from the very Start, using some sandpaper I had on hand all the way to the End, using Abranet disks… NOT ONE SPECK of dust anywhere! ... I was amazed! ... I thought there would be just a ‘little bit’ of dust left over… NONE 100% NO DUST! It was a real pleasure using it…

When I had my bad experience, I was using a PC ROS… my biggest problem! (no more)

View R_Stad's profile

R_Stad

#10 posted 03-24-2015 02:54 PM

Thanks Joe, Charles, and dgage for sharing your experiences. I’m thinking I’d really enjoy that little sander. Up until a few months ago I thought festool was the only way to go, but after researching I have read similar accounts of people with both who prefer the mirka. Sharing information like this is so helpful – thanks again.

-- Rod - Oregon

View kocgolf's profile

kocgolf

285 posts in 2084 days

#11 posted 03-24-2015 07:14 PM

Always heard of these and I was thinking I should look into it, so I followed the amazon link you posted. My god, 600 bucks for a ROS?! Maybe I am naive, but it’s almost impossible to imagine it being worth that. Although…not one speck of dust, huh?....food for thought.

View Ocelot's profile

Ocelot

#12 posted 03-24-2015 07:42 PM

When my $28 Ryobi wears out, I’ll take a look at the Deros!

-Paul

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#13 posted 03-24-2015 08:14 PM

I tried the Deros and liked it very much, but opted for the Festool. I now see from your review the Ceros plug in! oh yeah! I say- gotta get one. But then, I read on the Mirka site- it uses 220v which won’t work for me. I hope and I know that you will enjoy yours.
kocgolf- Amazon is financing them :)

-- Desert_Woodworker

#14 posted 03-24-2015 09:43 PM

YEP… I Hear you guys… I used to be the same way… Then, I sanded some Black Walnut very aggressively… ... working on a couple of Sam Maloof chairs I was making.

I must have been allergic to it… First time Sawdust ever messed me up!... It was terrible!

Difficult to breathe… I was wheezing for a long time (NOT DOING ANY Woodworking) until I finally felt better!

I was NOT going to go through that again… AND I did NOT want to STOP Woodworking!

I went shopping for the best Dust Controlled Sanders I could find… It came down to Festool and the Mirka Ceros… The Reviews where Festool people switched to the Ceros sounded GOOD to me… I was almost ready to submit an order for the Ceros & decided to wait until my Credit Card billing just ended, so I would have about 60 days to pay for it than 30… During that waiting time, the car needed a new clutch which delayed getting the Ceros!

Finally, I was ready to order it… it was apparently replaced by the Deros and after reading & studying the Deros, THAT’s the one I would buy!

I am very confident that this will be the LAST ROS sander I will ever buy and above all, MY LUNGS & eyes will NOT SUFFER ANYMORE as the result of NO really good sanding dust control!

The money spent on this was MORE for GOOD HEALTH than for a good sander!

Now, if you don’t ever expect to have health problems as a result of Sanding Dust getting to you, fine … have at it… continue on… doing what you’re doing… I wish you GOOD LUCK… If your lungs ever get messed up from Sanding Dust, you will remember this day, my experience, & reason for buying this sander.

#15 posted 03-24-2015 09:47 PM

Desert_Woodworker,

The Deros works on 120v AC …
... if it’s switchable to 220v, I don’t know… I have not noticed any mention of 220vac for the Deros!