Good compressor for nailing work

Review by ferstler posted 2105 days ago 3104 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good compressor for nailing work No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have had this oil-free compressor for several years and have used it in conjunction with my Ridgid and Campbell-Hausfeld framing nailers to add timbering to my attic trusses, build a fancy coffered ceiling in my garage, and add additional nails to the siding on my house. I have also used it to power finishing and brad nailers for assorted projects.

The thing works just fine. The calibration is perfect and I appreciate not having to worry about oil in the compressor section. It weighs 70 pounds, which makes it kind of awkward to carry around (note the single hand hold in the photo, which makes me think it was designed to be carried by Popeye), but when I did the work on my house I simply left it inside my shop out back and ran hoses of appropriate length (up to 200 feet) to the project. The one exception was the garage-ceiling project, where I had to keep changing from the framing nailer, to the brad nailer, to a palm nailer, and back. It was good to have the unit closeby for those multiple disconnect situations.

I cannot think of a thing I would change, except that maybe it would be a bit easier to live with if it had big wheels attached. Come to think of it, Ridgid now has one with wheels, but I think it comes with an oil-lubed compressor.

Howard Ferstler

View ferstler's profile

ferstler

View dennis mitchell's profile

dennis mitchell

I drag this compressor into and out of houses every time I do an install. That 70 lbs makes me feel every year, but I need a compressor large enough to run my spray gun. And this noisy heavy bastard sure does the job.

View Steve2's profile

Steve2

Just an observation if I may – that thing is a Campbell-Haus compressor with a Rigid label; why on earth would you run dual hoses and another regulator etc when the operating range of all those guns is common and set it mid range, around 95 lbs. I see no issue with an oiled compressor – it is FAR less noisy and I have never seen an oil problem. Use quick disconnects for the varied tools. To each his own.

-- Regards, Steve2

View Bill1974's profile

Bill1974

I have one too, the only thing I would change is to make it a bit quieter. It’s loud but so are more oil-less compressors. I do like the capacity it has. With a little patients I am able to blow out my sprinklers (longest run is 200 feet of 1 inch pipe). It’s even worked with with some spray guns, again just have the have some patients or find a gun that doesn’t use to much air. And one more thing is it pretty much uses all the current that is available on a 15 amp breaker, I put mine on a 20 amp it possible.

View ferstler's profile

ferstler

Hey, Bill1974,

My shop out back has two feed lines. One is a 12 AWG wire with a 20-amp breaker. I use that mostly for the lights and the dust collector. The other is used for the tools, and is fed by an 8 AWG line and a 25-amp breaker. That is the one I use for the compressor, too.

I suppose we have to live with the fact of oilless compressors being loud.

Ridgid came out with a compressor with lighter (aluminum) tanks somewhat later one, but it was not an oil-free job. I suppose that oil is not all that big a deal, but since I now use my unit only intermittently having to not worry about oil is a plus. My unit is now discontinued, I think, and the newer model seems no worse than what went before.

Howard Ferstler