Rikon 70-220 VSR

Review by woodmaker posted 03-23-2015 05:30 PM 8762 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rikon 70-220 VSR No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After a couple of months of turning I think I can write a decent review of my new Midi Lathe. To date I’ve only been practicing turning some spindles and learning to work with the “Easy Lathe Tools”.

I just purchased a pen kit and some bottle stoppers to make as soon as my fingers heal from the band saw incident.

I stopped in my local Woodcraft store to look at lathes and when I saw this one I just fell in love with it. I was very surprised to see a Rikon lathe with virtually identical specs.

The 70-220 VSR is an electronically controlled variable speed lathe, with reverse. It advertises a 12 1/2 inch swing over the bed, a 1 hp motor, electronic variable speed with 3 belt positions. It comes equipped with
a tool holder, spur drive, live end, knock out, a 3 inch face plate, 6 inch tool rest, open end and Allen Wrenches.
I’ve found it to be very smooth and quiet yet powerful in operation.

I built my own lathe stand and I think it’s a tad too high so I will take a couple inches out of it later. Changing belt speed is a breeze and can be accomplished in seconds. Assembly was straight forward.

All in all I’m a very happy with my purchase and would recommend this unit to anyone. I think you’ll be very happy with the price, but I got 15% off during the Xmas sale.

Looking forward to turning many projects.

View Wildwood's profile

Wildwood

#1 posted 03-26-2015 03:16 PM

Congratulations and best of luck with your new lathe!

Cannot wait to see you pens & bottle stoppers you turn.

Might take a look at stopper kits, supplies, & tooling Ruth Niles sells!

Lots of good info at here site, and she is a great person to talk too!

-- Bill

#2 posted 03-31-2015 04:21 PM

Thanks Bill

#3 posted 07-10-2015 05:51 PM

Well the RPM indicator quit on my lathe so I called Rikon and explained what was going on and they sent me a new cable with sending unit to install.
I’ve had it for a few months and decided to install last night. WOW! What a pain, it didn’t come with directions but fortunately I am mechanically inclined and figured it out. Had to take the head unit off because of one clamp holding the cable in. Also, if you have to do this there is a bracket held on by two screws and a nut plate. When you unscrew these they fall out and get lost in your shavings pile – luckily the magnet worked and I could retrieve it.
So long story short, the RPMs now register as they should after slightly over an hour wrestling with the innards.