You need this if you sand inside curves

Review by ferstler posted 2095 days ago 6565 views 2 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
You need this if you sand inside curves No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This device is no longer in production, but used models might show up here and there. It had a list price of $99 when it was available new, and I lucked out and got the last display model at my local Home Depot for sixty-seven bucks.

The top is cast iron, the rotational speed is 2000 rpm, and the oscillating range is 5/8 inch. The motor draws 3.5 amps and the weight is 49 pounds. The metal spindle is 1/2 inches in size and while it will hold a sanding sleeve that diameter you also have four rubber spindles in sizes up to 3 inches. The unit also has throat plates to accommodate the assorted spindles, and there is a really good 2.5-inch dust-collecting port on the back. This works very well, and even though the unit is located inside of my shop, when I run a hookup hose through an open window to my dust collector on my exterior deck (the collector blows the dust out into my “natural” back yard) very little dust gets into the shop interior.

Home Depot no longer sells sleeves for this device, but you can get all you need by simply ordering the things from Grizzly. In addition, the original Ryobi versions were only available in multi-grit sets, whereas Grizzly will sell you sleeves in any grit type you want, in any quantity.

This unit does not have a tilting table like the more upscale Ridgid version, nor can you hook up a belt attachment, as with the Ridgid. However, it does take 3-inch sleeves (the Ridgid tops out at 2 inches), and the motor drive assembly seems bulletproof. I have used it quite a bit, and it does some jobs that no other tool I have could do. A device like this might sit unused for some time as projects come and go, but when you need to do interior contour sanding it can save the day.

Howard Ferstler

View ferstler's profile

ferstler

View Chris Ricker's profile

Chris Ricker

#1 posted 2094 days ago

I have this unit and use it often, it’s a very nice unit for the price.
Thanks for the advice on getting the sleeves from Griz.!

#2 posted 2093 days ago

So many times I wanted to buy one of these and never did : ( My friend has the DELTA version but rarely uses it although he likes it when he does need it . I might get one of those RIDGID models , but I’ll have to do some more research on them first .

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#3 posted 2055 days ago

Though the Ryobi is out of productions, if you have a Menards close-by, you can get a similar model there at reasonable price. Menards handles the PerformaX brand. I have used mine quite a bit, and it is well worth the $110 I paid for it.

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#4 posted 2055 days ago

I like having the belt plus a range of sizes on the Rigid model.
I think the smaller foot print of having two units (Belt and spindle) in one station is well worth the extra $ in foot steps alone.
p.s. the Rigid has a vac attachment.

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View kosta's profile

kosta

946 posts in 1979 days

#5 posted 1927 days ago

im trying to pick one of those up because i dont want to pay like $300 for that jet or $800 for the clayton. I have used the triton before but it didnt feel right

-- kosta Virginia Beach, VA http://www.kostasworkshop.blogspot.com/

112009 posts in 2202 days

#6 posted 1927 days ago

I’m with Bob the Ridgid has both spindles and a oscillating belt that can’t be found any were else for under $1200 of course that’s a much larger unit than the Ridgid @ $ 199 a couple of my students have one and love it.

View oldcutup's profile

oldcutup

I have a Ryobi for sale with all the sleeves and spools on a stand.
The box type insulated stand is large enough to hold a vacuum.
All for sale$50.00