Good benchtop sander for many projects

Review by ferstler posted 11-24-2008 09:22 PM 3624 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good benchtop sander for many projects No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I used to own a smaller 4×36 bench-top sander with a 6-inch disc, but the belt and disc areas were just too small. This 6×48 inch version has the surface coverage I like (a 6×13.5 inch belt work platten, and the disc is a 9 incher) and I have used it a LOT to smooth a variety of wood surfaces.

The belt is easy to replace, and although the unit is normally hooked up to my dusc collector (which is configured to just blow dust out into my natural-yard area) it actuall scavenges dust all by itself pretty good. Just make sure the blowout does not pile up on your shop floor or fill the room with dust. The discs are held in place stick-on style and the unit has a movable 7×10 inch, cast-iron table. The only modification I have made involves installing a screw inside the dust-collecting housing to solidly secure the dust port. Without doing that continually installing and removing a dust-collecting fitting outside gradually causes it to work loose.

I have it on a stand that can be rolled out onto my work deck (the best place for something like this if, unlike me, you do not use a dust-collector machine) and the 88 pound weight is enough to keep it stable without making it too hard to move around. The belt speed is 2400 feet per minute and the disc speed is 3100 rpm, and the belt tracking mechanism works like a charm.

Howard Ferstler

View ferstler's profile

ferstler

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

#1 posted 12-10-2008 11:36 PM

I have an older model of this same saw and it works great! Definitely worth the money!

-- --Chuck

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#2 posted 01-25-2009 03:30 AM

I have the 1976 version of this sander. It’s still going today and have many miles on it.

View dmorrison's profile

dmorrison

146 posts in 1951 days

#3 posted 09-26-2009 06:37 AM

Glad to see the review is good. I just picked up one at Sears this afternoon, Last years display model. Not intending to buy anything I was actually there with my wife to get some dress shirts for my daughter. I’m killing time in the tool department, of course, and I see the unit in the discount place for $199, normally $250. I asked the salesman if all parts were included. He said all except the manual. Asked if he could do Better on the price. He called the manager and he checked. Came back with a price of $129. Sold on the spot.
Now I have to figure out where I can put it in my shop.

Dave

#4 posted 11-08-2009 08:55 AM

I got hte floor model at 129.00 also. It has been a great sander so far. I would also say that even at full price this sander is worth the money. I wasn’t quite prepared for all the dust it can throw up in a matter of a few short minutes.

#5 posted 12-28-2009 02:18 AM

Bought sander on oct 17th 2009….
Burnt it out on 12-27-2009….........
I will up date on new one after I have
beat on it awhile!!!!

View ferstler's profile

ferstler

#6 posted 12-28-2009 03:35 AM

You must run it a lot.

Howard Ferstler

#7 posted 12-28-2009 09:23 PM

Howard,
Well I exchanged the sander today 12-28-09, it is the exact same with a diffrent model #351.2250, but the manufacture is the same all the specs are the same, appearance is the exact same. I test ran it today no over heating, no bogging down, no tripping the circuit. I think the problem had to be with a bad circuit or loose connection, as stated in the trouble shooting section.

Do I run it a lot??? Since september 30th I purchased a total of 188 board feet of lumber. I do not think that is very much, when I sand, I might run the machine for 2-4 hours, at a time, when I used my orbital hand sander I could run that up to 4-5 hours none stop

Well I bought another 49 board feet of lumber on saturday, I am going to run the unit twice as hard for the
next month or so to see if the sander can take it. If not, I’ll return it to sears and get a grizzly. I will keep this review up dated .