Good Belt

Review by B4B posted 03-21-2015 05:44 AM 3527 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good Belt No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

So I found a couple 25% off coupons for Harbor Freight. I decided to pickup a link-belt to replace the worn belt on my table saw as part of the tune-up I did recently.

The old rubber belt was worn, and I read a lot of good things about these link belts in general, as well as generally good reviews for the Harbor Freight link belt.

The one I picked up was labeled “Jason Industrial Inc” and was green in color. I was able to get it sized up and installed in no time. I fired up the saw, and it didn’t vibrate nearly as bad as it did before.

OK, so that could be because I also replaced the arbor bearings and the two sheaves that were out of balance, bent and generally in bad shape. They didn’t even hug the arbors well.

Anyway, if you are looking for a replacement link-belt at half the cost of the red ones sold elsewhere, this is a good value after tax and the 25% off coupon, I think it cost me about $20.

I however have nothing else to compare this to, other than the old belt.

-- There's two routers in my vocab, one that moves data and one that removes wood, the latter being more relevant on this forum.

View B4B's profile

B4B

View kennymac's profile

kennymac

#1 posted 03-21-2015 05:52 AM

I put the same belt on my new (to me) Delta/Rockwell 8” jointer. With the old V belt the jointer vibrated like crazy. With the new link belt I would say 80% of the vibration is gone, an incredible improvement. I’m still in the process of rebuilding my Cman 113 contractor table saw so I can’t weigh in there yet, but I’ve got a link belt waiting to go on that one too.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#2 posted 03-21-2015 07:08 PM

I have one on my jointer and it works just fine. I have a more expensive red one on my TS, and I can’t really tell the difference between the two (other than color).

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

#3 posted 03-21-2015 10:24 PM

B4B, I wonder how long you have run with this belt so far?

I put the Fenner Drives link belts (the red ones) on my Unisaw four years ago. I had heard that the HF belts left green dust all over as they wear. Do you see that?

View B4B's profile

B4B

#4 posted 03-21-2015 10:53 PM

I’ve had it on my saw now for about 24h, and I’ve only tested it for about 1 minute. So I’ll have to report back later if the belt prematurely deteriorates. I think my 6” jointer find has one of the green HF links on it, and it seems to be in good shape, but I don’t know how old it is.

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

#5 posted 03-21-2015 11:23 PM

B4B, I wonder how long you have run with this belt so far?

- ic3ss

I’m going on 4 years with the green belt on my TS, and I see no green dust.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

#6 posted 03-22-2015 03:46 AM

I have this belt as well. It works well and there is no green dust.

View sgmdwk's profile

sgmdwk

308 posts in 1952 days

#7 posted 03-22-2015 05:32 AM

Two years ago I put the HF green belt on my 26-year-old Craftsman 113 table saw. It made a great difference is the smoothness, power and noise level of my old saw. No green dust here, either.

-- Dave K.

View Woodknack's profile

Woodknack

#8 posted 03-22-2015 06:47 AM

I’ve had mine two years next month, no green dust. The belt did loosen up and I had to remove links twice, about five or six total, to get back to the right length.

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

#9 posted 03-22-2015 03:25 PM

Ok then, no green dust. That’s good to know guys.

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#10 posted 03-24-2015 04:53 AM

The one I picked up was labeled “Jason Industrial Inc” and was green in color.

Yes exactly I would call this a product sold at Harbor Freight and not a Harbor Freight product

I for one LOVE Harbor Freight but in this case this is a much higher quality product then a lot of people might associate with Harbor Freight

Best part of the Green Belt is you also save more green buying over the red ones

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

#11 posted 04-05-2015 02:31 PM

I have had mine for 4 years, like others have posted I did have to remove a few links over time. No green dust, no visible wear, just works well.

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.