Great Calipers

Review by B4B posted 03-21-2015 05:34 AM 2029 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Calipers Great Calipers Great Calipers Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got this caliper some time ago, but have not had a chance to put it to use. Well during my table saw rebuild project I put it to use. I bought this based on the name, and the reviews other folks have provided for other wixey measuring devices (planer, table saw, etc) so I decided to give this a go.

Overall I’m impressed with this, and would definitely recommend it, if you need a set of calipers.

I used it to measure the bearings, the overall height, diameter, as well as the bore size. I was able to use these measurements to order an appropriate replacement bearing that fit exactly, I was also able to weed out the bearings that were the wrong size.

I used it to measure the sheave for a replacement, again diameter, bore size, and overall width.

I then used it to align my blade to my miter slot within .01 mm.

So what is it about this caliper that makes it useful?

It can be used to measure outside dimensions of an object, the jaws open up to do so. It can be used to measure the inside diameter of an object. It has a set of smaller “jaws” that can be used on the back side for inside measurements.

It can be used to measure the depth of something, it has a small metal bar that slides out the bottom to measure the depth.

It is digital, and can switch between metric (mm) or imperial (inches) and when in the imperial measurement it will display fractions as well.

It appears to have good accuracy. I tried to throw it off a little by varying the speed at which I slid the jaws. Every time I measured the same object, it came back with the same reading.

-- There's two routers in my vocab, one that moves data and one that removes wood, the latter being more relevant on this forum.

View B4B's profile

B4B

View TimberMagic's profile

TimberMagic

#1 posted 03-21-2015 05:00 PM

I’d like to hear back from you after you’ve had that one awhile. I have several from Harbor Freight, and while accurate, they drain the batteries even when off. I thought they were coming on if they got jarred, so I turn them off, lock the screw to prevent caliper movement, but still end up replacing a battery every 6 months or so.

It would be good to know if any digital calipers really do conserve battery power when off. I get this feelign that all electronics are the same, and that different Chines factories just make cosmetic changes to the outside.

Here is a digital caliper trick that is useful:
To measure the distance between centers of two identical holes, measure the hole diameter, then do a reset. Then measure the distance from the outside edge of one hole to the other (another inside measurement). The measurement will give you the distance between centers.

-- Lee

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#2 posted 03-21-2015 10:07 PM

I am glad that you got the one with the 3 types of increments. Some brands only give the decimal units. From what I have read Wixey is a good brand. Enjoy.

-- Desert_Woodworker

View B4B's profile

B4B

#3 posted 03-21-2015 10:57 PM

I had to lookup the order. I bought them about 6 months ago (September 2014), and I’m still on the original batteries. On the back of the packaging, it does state that the CR2032 batteries last 6 months. So I guess that means I’ll have to replace them soon. Only time will tell.

View Rick_M's profile

Rick_M

#4 posted 03-22-2015 06:54 AM

Looks very similar to the iGaging calipers I bought. So far I like them a lot.

Bought them after watching this review of cheap calipers vs a Mitutoyo

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View TimberMagic's profile

TimberMagic

#5 posted 03-22-2015 04:45 PM

I haven’t tried ordering any batteries yet, but on another forum, someone mentioned they buy coin-style batteries from eBay, and get them at a fraction of what you would pay locally, even at a Walmart or other discount chain.

-- Lee

View gearupflapsup's profile

gearupflapsup

#6 posted 03-23-2015 12:22 AM

I’ve had a set for a year. It’s a great measuring tool. Thanks for the accurate review.