Ridgid 12-Volt R82233 Right Angle Impact Driver

Review by ferstler posted 2073 days ago 3011 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid 12-Volt R82233 Right Angle Impact Driver Ridgid 12-Volt R82233 Right Angle Impact Driver No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have owned this device for some time and never really found a way to make serious use of it until my wife and an interior designer she hired decided that our kitchen cabinets (which I installed several years ago) needed crown moldings at the top. The space between the cabinet tops and the ceiling was fairly tight and a conventional impact wrench would have had problems fitting in to secure the backer boards to which I attached the moldings to the cabinet tops. The Ridgid driver saved the day. Note that the attached molding photo attached shows only part of an extensive molding-addition job.

I drilled the holes with a right-angle Ryobi drill (to be reviewed later) and drove the screws in with the Ridgid impact driver. Note that the attached tool picture also shows the Ryobi drill.

The device worked just fine, but I do need to make some points.

First, the forward/reverse buttons are located in such a way that when you are working the trigger lever you can accidentally push them in and stop the function.

Second, the unit is rather long and it is difficult to get the kind of leverage and pressure you need without using both hands: one on the handle/trigger area and one at the working end to keep the screw tip inserted into the screw head.

Third, this is a 12-volt unit and it lacks the wallop of my two Ryobi 18-volt standard impact drivers (to be reviewed later). Still, in most situations (certainly this one) the device has enough power.

I recommend this device highly, but one needs to remember that it is pretty specialized and so it may not get much use until a special situation comes along.

Howard Ferstler

View ferstler's profile

ferstler

#1 posted 2073 days ago

I’ve got the Ridgid unit and it has done a fine job on the tasks that I’ve used it for.

Great review.

View Cathy Krumrei's profile

Cathy Krumrei

#2 posted 1993 days ago

We have this one also. My husband loves it and uses it alot. I tried a few times but this thing really is heavy and hard to use for any length of time. But it does the job for hubby. I end up using something else! Way to tiring!