Stanley Flush Cut Saw (Dovetail Saw)

Review by Zuki posted 2381 days ago 3706 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Stanley Flush Cut Saw (Dovetail Saw) No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Website Link

I bought this saw about a year ago as I needed a saw to flush cut plugs that I was using to hide countersunk screws. I was walking through Canadian Tire and saw this baby for about $14.

The details – from Stanley

• Flexible blade cuts plugs or dowels flush
• 23-point blade cuts quickly and cleanly on the pull stroke
• Double sided blade for convenient cutting to the left or right
• Contoured handle is comfortable, provides maximum control
• Excellent for trimming through tenons or lap joints

This fella is really sharp with all those little pointy teeth. It has easily cut though pine, spruce, poplar and walnut without slowing down. The handle is plastic and is sized appropriately. The saw is exceptionally light. One side of the blade cuts flush while the other leaves the plug\dowel a little proud.

Drawbacks

•The blade is held in with a thumb screw that I could never get tight enough. I finally used a straight screwdriver to tighten it to a point where the blade would not wobble loose
•There is no hole in the handle so it cannot be hung, but has to be stored flat
•The saw blade is flexible (no spine to keep it stiff) so it is a bit challenging for me (a novice dovetail cutter) to cut dovetails

Overall I am happy with the saw and believe it is a great value.

-- BLOG - http://www.colorfulcanary.com/search/label/Zuki

View Zuki's profile

Zuki

View Russel's profile

Russel

I have that very saw and it has proved itself useful enough times that the $15 I paid for it was well worth it.

-- Working at Woodworking http://www.VillageLaneFurniture.com

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

You may want a separate saw with a back spine for dovetail cutting.

View Roz's profile

Roz

I don’t think I’d use it for cutting dovetails, but it is great for cutting off bongs, plugs or bringing a Dutchman patch down near flush. It has saved me A LOT of sanding time. It is hard to get the screw tight that holds the blade in place. Finger tight seems to work well enough with periodic checks of tightness. The blade has never come out while I was using the saw. I have had my little saw for several years now and wouldn’t want to give it up. Good review, thanks. Roz

-- Terry Roswell, L.A. (Lower Alabama) "Life is what happens to you when you are making other plans."

View che's profile

che

I have one of these and the blade is not flat. When cutting with the blade nut up the saw will drift away from the surface and if I cut with the nut down the blade will scar the surface.

-- Che.