A great little tool

Review by GaryK posted 01-13-2008 09:26 PM 2298 views 1 time favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A great little tool No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Here’s a great little tool for setting the angle on most everything.

Bandsaw, Tablesaw, Mitersaw, Radial Arm Saw…

The best part is the precision and speed in which you can do it.
There are magnets on the bottom which allows you to stick it to anything steel.

I will use a table saw for example here, but you can apply the same to all tools.
If what you are trying to set is aluminum or something other than steel then you will need to
hold it place.

Here are the magnets:

For setting the blade angle on your table saw stick it to your table next to your blade..

Then press the ‘zero’ button.

Then stick it to your blade and more to the desired dergee. If your table is not level it won’t matter
since you zeroed to your table. (I’m using a Radial Arm Saw picture because I don’t have one showing the table saw)

It makes changing the angle of my table saw blade a no sweat operation and I find myself
changing it without hesitation. I used to hate changing it since it involved getting a square or protractor.

With the magnets you can also store it close. Just stick it somewhere convient on your table saw.

The best part is that’s only $39.95. I have even seen it on sale at Rockler for $29.95.

Either way is a great deal!

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

#1 posted 01-13-2008 09:50 PM

I have one and like it too

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#2 posted 01-13-2008 09:54 PM

I have looked at these with lust in my eye…

View mrtrim's profile

mrtrim

#3 posted 01-13-2008 10:08 PM

yes very handy tool ,ive had one a year or so and love it .

View Max's profile

Max

#4 posted 01-13-2008 10:42 PM

Got one of these for Christmas, I will be giving it a try here shortly…..

-- Max "Desperado", Salt Lake City, UT

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#5 posted 01-13-2008 10:46 PM

Gary, wise descision.
I have never been as confident with my angles as I can now be using the Wixey guage.
All the mechanical devices leave you wondering about that last 1° +_.
Wixey lets you trim to dead on.
I know another decimal place would be kool but it’s not too practical with woodworking.
At least mine.

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View mot's profile

mot

#6 posted 01-13-2008 10:52 PM

Yeah, it’s a handy item. I use the Beal Tilt Box, but it’s the same thing with an extra decimal place. They are really handy to have around for sure. Thanks for the writeup, Gary.

-- You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. (Plato)

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19693 posts in 2595 days

#7 posted 01-13-2008 11:15 PM

Thanks for the info Gary.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View brunob's profile

brunob

#8 posted 01-13-2008 11:55 PM

Got one. Love it. I use it on my drill press as well.

-- Bruce from Central New York...now, if you'll pardon me, I have some sawdust to make.

View Nils's profile

Nils

#9 posted 01-14-2008 01:07 AM

I have the “Dixie” – which is Peachtree’s version of this – and it’s incredibly handy. The Dixie has an additional feature, which is a “Hold” button. It will hold the last measurement so you can pick up the gauge and see the angle. Handy if you’re not flexible enough to always be able to see the gauge when it’s attached to the tool, or when the lighting of the tool isn’t right for use of the gauge. Or, as was the case when I was using it to point my DirecTV satellite dish, when my ladder wasn’t long enough to let me see the gauge when it was on the post – I just stuck it on the post above my head, let it measure, then hit the Hold button and brought the gauge back down to where I could see it.

I might as well add a review, I guess!

-- Nils Davis, Menlo Park, CA

View Mike Lingenfelter's profile

Mike Lingenfelter

#10 posted 01-14-2008 02:39 AM

I have the Wixey and love it. I also highly recommend it.

Bruce, on the Drill Press why didn’t I think of that! I was just trying to square up the bit to the base, and was having a hell of time. I’ll have to check it the next time I’m in the shop to see how close I got.

#11 posted 01-14-2008 02:45 AM

Thanks for the review. I have one and it’s very handy. But hadn’t used it on the drill press.

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

#12 posted 01-14-2008 04:25 AM

Hi Gary;

Great information. I wasn’t familiar with these devices.

Thanks;

Lee

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

#13 posted 01-14-2008 05:34 AM

Gary you are correct – it is a very valuable addition to anyone’s shop. I also have the Wixey Digital Planer Readout as well as the Wixey Height Gauge – I have not used the Height Gauge yet, but the Planer Gauge is dead on – if you want to plane a board to .750 – it will indicated exactly when you get to that thickness. I will review the Height Gauge once I play with it some.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View Blake's profile

Blake

#14 posted 01-14-2008 06:06 AM

I’ve got one and I LOVE it!

-- Happy woodworking! http://www.openarmsphotography.com

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#15 posted 01-14-2008 08:20 AM

Bill – I have the planer readout also. I was going to post a review but they just upgraded the design.
It’s great also.