16" Variable Speed Scroll Saw

Review by Handi75 posted 11-23-2008 04:29 AM 6432 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
16" Variable Speed Scroll Saw 16" Variable Speed Scroll Saw No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a New addition to Craftsman Scroll Saw Series.

The first one that I had, I’ve only used it twice, and if it wasn’t for the Replacement Warranty that I purchased just in case, I wouldn’t have this replacement now.

So far, this Version of their Scroll Saw has Held up very well. There are only a few complaints with it thou.

1. The table is a Little Small
2. The Table Tilt only tilts up to 45 Degree to the left Only, Not both left and right
3. It does not have a Lamp to help with visual for your Work piece
4. It does not have Quick release Capability, it uses a Hex Wrench to tighten and untighten the blade
5. The Blade Tension Adjustment is at the rear of the Machine.
6. No 0 Clearance inserts.

Other then these 6 complaints, it’s good for a beginner Scroller that’s just getting into the craft, it can be annoying thou at times, when you have to get your hex wrench out just to take the blade loose while you do Fretwork.

A quick fix that I came up with for that. Go to your Hardware Store and Purchase the same Thread count for a Thumb Screw or Wing nut Bolt, and replace the hex screw with a Thumb Screw, you converted it quickly to a Quick release.

This machine was only $130.00, which wasn’t a bad purchase, it has a Cast Iron Table also, the only other thing I don’t care much about the table, is there is about 1 1/2” by 1/2 Gap for the blade, Makes it hard to work on Fretwork with the Consistent Vibrations and all, So a quick fix with a Piece of Cardboard and some Packing Tape. Which also helps Make the Table Slicker for ease of piece movement along the table top.

This concludes my Review on this Piece of Fine Machinery, I hope this helps everyone that is looking to buy a Scroll Saw, especially the 16” Craftsman from Sears.

Handi

-- Jimmy "Handi" Warner, http://www.facebook.com/HandisWorkshop, http://www.facebook.com/HandisCreations, Twitter: @Handisworkshop, @HandisCreations

View Handi75's profile

Handi75

View mtnwild's profile

mtnwild

#1 posted 11-24-2008 04:15 PM

Thanks for that. I do not have a scroll saw, but when I go to look I’ll keep what you said in mind. Those were good points and as a beginner I probably would never have thought to look for those things.

-- mtnwild (Jack), It's not what you see, it's how you see it.

View Greg's profile

Greg

#2 posted 05-23-2009 04:29 AM

I used a piece of 1/8” baltic birch on my Hitachi scroll saw to make a zero clearance insert. Card stock will also work, depending on the depth of the hole for the insert, also mine is round which made it easier, I’m not familiar with the craftsmans saws so the plywood may not work for you. Check out my website there are links to several good scroll saw forums on there.
Greg
www.joesawdust.com

-- Greg S.E. Ga. www.thesawdustfactory.net

View DrBreakIt's profile

DrBreakIt

#3 posted 01-13-2011 05:13 AM

Handi75 now that you have had your saw for awhile are you still happy with it? I have been looking around for one.

View Handi75's profile

Handi75

#4 posted 01-17-2011 08:17 PM

DrBreakIt,

I seem to like it pretty well.. At the time I bought it, It was because i was limited on Funds. And I wasn’t going to Pay 3 to 400 Bucks or more for a Saw.

Now I found on this one, that if you take out the Hex Nut that holds the Blade in, you can take out the Twist Thumb Screw that holds the Hold down Arm and Switch them, There for Turning it into a Quick Release for the Blade. I’ve not had any trouble with it just yet as long as I had it and I think I only give 150 for it I think.

Hope this helps!
Handi

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

1797 posts in 1914 days

#5 posted 07-08-2011 06:45 PM

Yep I bought the same one 2 days ago….haven’t used it yet.

I am going to meke a zero clearance with a thin piece of ply

wood and laminet it. also going to ace for a thumb screw

for quicker release. nice review.

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.