Dust collection for my Miter Saw

Review by Alongiron posted 03-14-2015 12:03 PM 17539 views 2 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dust collection for my Miter Saw Dust collection for my Miter Saw Dust collection for my Miter Saw Click the pictures to enlarge them

For all of us, the miter saw can toss around the sawdust with the best of them and is rally hard to control…until now!
I had $150 bucks burning a hole in my pocket from a couple of small items I had made and I knew I wanted to spend it on a dust collector for my Miter saw. I searched online for diferent types and I found this one to fit my needs the best and it was in my price range..it came to $148.00 including shipping

It attached so easy to my saw..It used the 2 mounting holes on the back of the saw..

From this…

To this….

in less than 10 minutes.

I hooked up my vacuum to the 4” port on the back..I needed an adapter to fit mine. I gave it a try and not one spec of dust came out of the hood. It has some baffles in there that do not allow it to come back out plus the vacuum sucks it all in through the port and the bottom of the funnel shaped base

I would recommend this to anyone that, like me, has a stationary tool but it is so easy to setup and remove, it would work great anywhere. Here is a video I found one youtube:

View Bogeyguy's profile

Bogeyguy

548 posts in 1977 days

#1 posted 03-14-2015 03:24 PM

A bit pricey, but if it works it’s worth it. Keep us up to date as you use it more often. Thanks, Art D.

-- Art, Pittsburgh.

View philba's profile

philba

#2 posted 03-14-2015 03:27 PM

Thanks for the review. I’ve been looking at that (and anything else that might help with miter saw). The problem for me – it’s HUGE. For now, I use the top dust port after I wheel the saw out onto the driveway. Rain kind of puts a damper on that!

#3 posted 03-14-2015 04:12 PM

I have been using it this morning as much as I can. I tried with and without the shop vac running. Even without the shop vac running, I did not get any “kickback” of sawdust..It all stayed inside the shroud! I really like it alot

View longgone's profile

longgone

#4 posted 03-14-2015 04:33 PM

This a dust collection box I made from some wood scraps and some 1/8” Plexiglas I bought at Lowes for about $10. I hooked it up to my dust collector and it works very good. It catches somewhere around 95% of the dust. I doubt anything exists that will get 100%

#5 posted 03-14-2015 04:50 PM

I made a nylon version like this. The only difference is the vacuum hose passes through the bag and attaches to the saw. I agree, they work great.

Thanks for posting the review.

#6 posted 03-14-2015 05:53 PM

Nice projects guys!! I messed around with shop made ones too but I never could make one that I was really satisfied with.

View jtm's profile

jtm

#7 posted 03-14-2015 08:13 PM

Cool.

But with all due respect, didn’t that cost more than the HF miter saw it covers?

Seems extremely expensive to me.

The only reason I say this is because I’m actually building a miter saw dust hood and should be finished today. I’ll post it later.

Total cost was $25 in MDF and $4 for a dust fitting.

#8 posted 03-14-2015 09:45 PM

Good one JT. Yes the collector dud cost more than my saw did 3 years ago. That must saw has been the best deal I have ever got from HF. The angles are right on and it has never failed me. I bought one for my son and he trimmed out his whole house with it. If you ever need one, it is worth every dollar. Best thing I have found at HF!

View andy_P's profile

andy_P

#9 posted 03-15-2015 01:32 AM

/as long as it works for you, Steve, it’s a good buy.

-- Wood is a gift from God/Nature that maintains its beauty forever via the hand of a woodworker.

View mandatory66's profile

mandatory66

202 posts in 2040 days

#10 posted 03-15-2015 03:06 AM

Thanks for the review, my miter saw gets little use because of the mess it makes. In fact I bought an old Stanley 150 miter box to use instead. I think I might have this dust collector in my future. The price is cheap for a clean shop & healthy lungs and it’s a lot cheaper than my miter saw.

View finns's profile

finns

#11 posted 03-15-2015 04:15 AM

I purchased one of these for my flap sander and am happy with the results. Intend to purchase another for my miter saw. It all helps so much with dust control.

View HickoryHill's profile

HickoryHill

#12 posted 03-15-2015 05:25 PM

Agree Andy_P. If it works for him, I don’t care how much more it cost him compared to the saw he purchased. I mean we are talking $150, not $1500 on a $100 saw. Hell, if he wanted to spend $1500 on a dust collector for a $100 saw I guess he could. He only has to please himself.

-- Jim, Michigan

View RichTes's profile

RichTes

#13 posted 03-16-2015 03:38 PM

I think the difference between this and most of the shop made ones is this seems a much tighter fit around the saw. The boxes normally look further back. This seems to come right up to the fence and tight over the saw.
Rich

View jamescartin's profile

jamescartin

#14 posted 12-31-2017 02:12 PM

thats very nice… I liked it…
weight loss exercises at home in 1 week