Makita 18v 3pc combo kit

Review by Hooligan posted 03-14-2015 01:36 AM 2794 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Makita 18v 3pc combo kit No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently decided to purchase a new driver/impact for the shop and went with the Makita kit. I was reluctant after reading a lot about the battery life being short, but after thinking about the speed of recharge and the light weight nature of the tools decided that since I am just a hobbyist I could deal with the down time between charges. I placed the batteries on the charger today for the first time to find that neither would take a charge! Sure it felt like a bonus that they included the 2.0mah batteries instead of the 1.5mah it was supposed to come with but I was totally let down by the non-charging issue. I called Makita right away and within 3 minutes they had me squared away no questions asked. They are sending me 2 replacement batteries via next day air and they will be the 3.0mah LXT batteries. Great customer service and a product that is at least manufactured in the USA albeit of foreign components. The customer service is why I gave a 3 star rating instead of a 1. I hope the with the new batteries it becomes a 5 star tool.

After receiving my new batteries I am choosing to upgrade the stars to 5 stars based on the customer service experience.

View BikerDad's profile

BikerDad

#1 posted 03-14-2015 02:27 AM

Both wouldn’t charge? It sounds like it’s more likely to be a charger issue than battery.

-- I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park! Grace & Peace.

View jeff's profile

jeff

#2 posted 03-14-2015 02:41 AM

I have the drill.I have had it for 4-5 yr’s and love it.Nothing else to compare it to but I’m happy with the battery life-it came with two and I keep one on the charger all the time.You will like it when it is up and running.Thx for posting.

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

#3 posted 03-14-2015 04:11 AM

Bikerdad, I never even considered that bit may be the charger. I guess I will find out shortly. The charger lit up and indicated that the batteries were bad by displaying 2 flashing light, but it could be the charger.

Jeff, I believe I will be happy with it plus with the 3.0mah LXT batteries it will be a bonus.

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

#4 posted 03-14-2015 05:54 AM

I bought the Rigid set last year that is pretty much like Makita and had the same problem…back to the store and received a complete new set. I use it allot and love the free battery exchange when they go bad. In fact, the complete set has a life time warranty. I really thought about buying Makita but the warranty sold me. Hope your set gives you years of use

-- Larry in Hawaii,

#5 posted 03-14-2015 07:02 AM

I bought a Ridgid 13” planer that was broken fresh out of the box, and when I returned it the customer service was horrible. I have since swore off Home Depot and the Ridgid brand. I too was sold on the warranty, but like Tomboy said “I can guarantee a box of crap, but all you have is a guaranteed box of crap”. I am not trying to down your choice of tools and I hope yours last you a long time as well. It was really a pity, orange is my favorite color. I replaced the planer with a Dewalt DW735X and aside from the factory knives having a short lifespan, it is a monster. I have replaced the knives with a set of Infinity cutting tools carbide knives and never regretted it. They are expensive @ about $240 for a set but last forever.

View philba's profile

philba

#6 posted 03-14-2015 11:34 AM

Thanks for the review. I agree that it sounds like the charger. Though it could be coincidence that both bats were dead. It’s good to heard that Makita stands behind their product, unlike some others.

By the way, I think you meant 2 AH batteries. 2 mAH bats would run for about 2 seconds. Hmmm, maybe THAT’S the problem!!

#7 posted 03-14-2015 02:26 PM

Philba you are correct it is AH

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

#8 posted 03-14-2015 07:15 PM

I guess we all at one time will purchase a tool and find it was broken somewhere along the way before we got a chance to use it. I have that same 13” planer and love it just like you do the DeWalt you purchased. As long as we are happy with our purchase and it does the job we want, everything is good. Now if I could just get all the tools working together at night when I sleep, my projects would not take 1/2 as long.

-- Larry in Hawaii,

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#9 posted 03-14-2015 10:41 PM

I have had my Makita set for years and the batteries are still good. I have read that it is bad for the batteries to leave them almost all run down. I have the smaller 1.5 AH batteries and wanted them due to the lighter weight. The batteries weigh almost as much as the tool.

#10 posted 03-17-2015 01:59 AM

I received my replacement batteries today and it was 2 DOA batteries and not the charger, it works fine. I am super happy with the customer service I received from Makita. Although it was a bummer to have to wait for the replacements the extra power is appreciated.