Sharp cutting tools at last!

Review by Greg Wurst posted 2106 days ago 8506 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Sharp cutting tools at last! Sharp cutting tools at last! Sharp cutting tools at last! Click the pictures to enlarge them

Like many, I’ve looked at wet grinders (in particular the Tormek’s) for some time hoping to make sharpening an easier and more productive endeavor. I’ve tried using diamond sharpening stones with limited success. My chisels were sharper, but still not as sharp as I thought they should be. I’d see people cutting these fine shavings and I was essentially working with blunt instruments.

The biggest sticking point for me (any most other people) is the high price, especially for the Tormek. The T7 costs almost $600, and the smaller T3 just didn’t look as sturdy to me and still cost $340. This price doesn’t even include some of the accessory jigs you might want, which themselves are very expensive (the planer knife jig itself is $165!). I read the reviews for the Tormek and some of the other more affordable wet sharpeners (Jet, Grizzley), and while the other machines are cheaper the results just weren’t as good as the Tormek. If I couldn’t have a Tormek, I figured I’d just do without.

So, I open the latest Rockler ad and what do I see but a big Tormek on sale for $300!

It’s the Supergrind 2006 (although it says 2000 on the machine for some reason), and it appears to be the model previous to the T7. It has the metal case and the big wheel and comes with the edge grinding jig. Unlike the T7 it does not include the stone grader or truing tool, but they can be bought for a lot less than $280 more!

This is a quality built machine. The hardcover book is excellent and covers all their jigs and their operation. I haven’t looked at the DVD yet because the book had everything I needed. I got out a set of my chisels and ran them through the machine. I have never had a tool this sharp in my life! The edges have a mirror finish and I was able to cut myself easily just touching the edge. Needless to say, I’m impressed. It’s a lot of money to spend, but I think it’s worth it to finally have sharp cutting tools.

-- You're a unique and special person, just like everyone else.

View Greg Wurst's profile

Greg Wurst

View Bob42's profile

Bob42

Nice to hear your happy with it. I would also like to get one but can’t part with the money yet.

I’m starting to redo my shop this winter so it’s all going into that for now.

-- Bob K. East Northport, NY

View lew's profile

lew

Great Review!

I have been using the Tormek system for many years. I agree that it was expensive and I also agree that it was worth every penny.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View jsheaney's profile

jsheaney

That’s awesome that you can cut yourself so easily. Definitely sounds like you’re on the right track. Those sharp chisels will cut like a scalpel. They will cut you quickly and cleanly, but the wound should also heal quickly and cleanly. Keep a box of band aids around. Here’s a tip; a deep chisel cut in the finger will bleeeeed. Keep a rubber band with your bandages. Wrap it around your finger to stop the bleeding long enough to get the bandage on. :)

-- Disappointment is an empty box full of expectation.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

Sharp tools are a joy to use, aren’t they?

View Rob Drown's profile

Rob Drown

I’ve had a Tormek for two years and hollow grinding chisels makes them so easy to sharpen and the leather polishing strop is also excellent. It works for me. I also use 3M micro surfacing abrasive in 40 & 15 micron and water stones to polish to about 12k. Sharp is worth it period!! It makes planes chisels and knives work so much better. You got a Deal!! Good Review.

-- The expectations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools. Confucius, 经过艰苦的努力的梦想可以成真

View Derek Cohen's profile

Derek Cohen

Hi Greg

You did well. There is no difference, outside of colour, between the 2006 and the T7. The T7 simply provdes a new blade holder (I prefer the old one anyway) and few accessories (as you noted). Otherwise identical machines.

Regards from Perth

Derek

-- Buildiing furniture, and reviewing and building tools at http://www.inthewoodshop.com

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

#7 posted 2088 days ago

I use a combination of stones and plate glass. I sharpen my tools by hand mostly and they are sharp enough to shave the hair off of my arm! The Tormek is nice, but if I ever get a machine sharpener I will probably get the Sorby…
Learning how to sharpen by hand is a nice skill just in case I need to touch up a tool, In less than a minute I am back to work.

-- --Chuck

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

Thought you may like to see my video of the Upgrades I made to the Work Sharp including one that allows you to use Tormek jigs AND how to use cheap buffing compound instead of sandpaper instead of diamond wheels and compounds: