problems but fast customer service

Review by Ray s posted 03-12-2015 08:06 PM 3816 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
problems but fast customer service problems but fast customer service No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased a new Rikon 70-220VSR lathe on the 11th of November 2014 from Woodcraft. I turned a few pieces and the Rikon stopped working. I called customer service and they sent a new control board via two day mail. It took very little time to install and the lather worked like a charm. One caveat, you must stop the motor and wait for the speed indicator to clear prior to changing from forward to reverse of vice-verso.

Cheers for the customer support for the fast identification and delivery of the solution.

On March 2, 2015 I noticed excessive vibrationwhile turning a small cup. I called Rikon parts, expecting to order bearings for the lathe. The technical specialist who came on the phone said he did not think it was the bearings because I hadn’t heard a pounding soun. I accepted his comments and started another turning. I immediately heard the pounding he had said would indicate bearing problems.

I called the technical support again and was informed the bearings would be shipped free of any charge. They are scheduled to arrive today, March 12. I will update this review after installing and trying the new bearings.

-- R. A.

View Ray s's profile

Ray s

1 post in 2005 days

View AgentTwitch's profile

AgentTwitch

#1 posted 03-12-2015 08:15 PM

Ray,

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with your neat new lathe! I also have this fun midi lathe after ncdon’s review and so far, knock on wood, havent experienced an issue. I purchased mine back in December. Its good to know that the customer service is good and that they send replacement parts out quick and free. Cant beat the 5 year warranty, but it would be better to not have to use it at all.

-- Regards, Norm

View mnguy's profile

mnguy

#2 posted 03-12-2015 09:25 PM

Ray,

Good review on your experience – sounds like Rikon is at least taking care of your problems.

This lathe is on my to-buy list for later this year, so I’m glad it comes with good customer service.

View nkawtg's profile

nkawtg

#3 posted 03-12-2015 09:45 PM

Good tools are a priority, but good customer service is a must. I’m happy to hear Rikon is doing a good job.

View robdem's profile

robdem

#4 posted 03-12-2015 11:34 PM

Ray had the same problem with the speed control back in jan . Bought my lathe at woodcraft also back in nov . Called rikon spoke to rep and he said they had recalled early models due to this problem guess we got the ones before recall rikon also replaced my speed control box with no problems since .

View Woodknack's profile

Woodknack

#5 posted 03-14-2015 08:25 PM

Ouch. Sounds like good customer service but bearings can be a PITA to change if you don’t have the equipment.

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View Jongunz's profile

Jongunz

#6 posted 01-25-2017 03:24 PM

I bought this lathe because of the specs. liked the size and it is very well put together. Paid good money for it at local woodcraft. I got the lathe on Dec 7th 2016, And turned 2 pieces of pine for practice and noticed the RPM numbers on the variable speed controller were jumping around like crazy. Eventually it failed and stopped with an error code of 2 which means control board problem. Called Rikon and they immediately sent me a new speed controller and a sensor cable. Got both of those put in yesterday, and….. same problem. Called Rikon this morning and they are shipping me a new lathe. Thank God for that 5 year warranty. It took a good year of waiting and saving to get a lathe and I’m now wondering if I should just have spent an extra 100 and got a Jet. Im thankful that Rikon is sending me a new one, but I have a lack of faith in their product at the moment. And it especially sucks having a product for only a month and really not being able to use it because of all the issues. I was considering buying the Rikon bench top Drill press as well, but now I’m second guessing that.