The Beall Wood Buff

Review by odie posted 11-22-2008 03:49 PM 6716 views 7 times favorited 24 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Beall Wood Buff The Beall Wood Buff No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Every time I make a ring box I use The Beall Wood Buff. I make about 300 ring boxes a year in four different sizes. Since I have had my wood buffing system (approx. 18 months) I’ve probably used it on close to 500 boxes. I used to hand wax and buff these boxes and it would take forever. Now it takes half the time and the quality of finish is second to none.

The procedure I use is quite simple. I now sand my boxes on a belt sander down to a 400 grit. Then I apply one coat of tung oil and let sit about 24 hours. At this time the magic begins. I put the boxes through the three stages of the Beall Buffing System. The first stage removes the scratches left by the 400 grit sandpaper. The second stage removes any residue left by the first stage. The third stage applies a thin coat of carnauba wax. I use mine mounted on the lathe at the suggested speed.

This system comes with a great set of instructions. I would advise getting their DVD of demonstrations for a really detailed experience. I have been doing business with them for about ten years, and it’s a great run smaller tool company. You can also purchase this system at Woodcraft as I did, but I had to get the adapter for my lathe from Beall.

I have added some pictures to help you envision the finished product and the set up.

-- Odie, Confucius say, "He who laughs at one's self is BUTT of joke". http://woodstermangotwood.blogspot.com/ (my funny blog)

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

#1 posted 11-22-2008 04:00 PM

Sometimes I forget that you do some great woodworking when you’re not too busy clowning around! :-)

How come you make all these ring boxes and never posted any of them as projects?

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

#2 posted 11-22-2008 04:02 PM

I like to let the non-pros have most of the fun.

View Russel's profile

Russel

#3 posted 11-22-2008 04:09 PM

We’re having fun Odie, but I like seeing what the pros are up to. Never hurts to have something to aim for. Dems some nice boxes.

-- Working at Woodworking http://www.VillageLaneFurniture.com

View lew's profile

lew

#4 posted 11-22-2008 04:15 PM

Nice Job, Odie!

Looks like your Christmas shopping is done!

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

#5 posted 11-22-2008 04:36 PM

Nice job Odie. I’ve used the Buffer for quite a long time also. But not to the extent that youve used it. It does a great job.

I first say Bealle showing it at the woodworking shows,

View trifern's profile

trifern

#6 posted 11-22-2008 05:01 PM

Great review Odie. I have been considering purchasing the system.

-- My favorite piece is my last one, my best piece is my next one.

View majeagle1's profile

majeagle1

#7 posted 11-22-2008 05:27 PM

Looks great Odie and sounds like something I need to try. I also have been hand waxing and buffing for quite awhile. Your boxes have a great finish on them.

Thanks for the review and post

-- Gene, Majestic Eagle Woodworks, http://majesticeagleww.etsy.com/, http://www.flickr.com/photos/majesticeagle/

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

#8 posted 11-22-2008 07:23 PM

Those look great. I never thought of getting the buffing system but the output is indeed exceptional for small boxes. Might have to give this a go.

I’ve gotten a hinge wizard, lathe spindle taps, the box mandrel and an auxiliary router base and centering unit from J.R. Beall. They have good service and great products. The owner/inventor responses to e-mail requests for support and seems to be one of those quirky Mr. Wizard type inventors that is worthy of support. There was at one time a Lathe Wizard that could do Holtzapffel type ornamental turning, but it was retired from the market.

Nice review Odie.

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

Allison

#9 posted 11-22-2008 09:23 PM

Great review Odie, but I didn’t know you do wood working!!!
LOL!
Now if I just could understand any of it.
PEACE!!!
Because so many of you have not really seen his work cuz we are all non pro folk , check out his website at dustnlint,
Hey , what are buddies for!
Check it out those of you that have not really seen his work.

-- Allison, Northeastern Ca. Remember, Amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic!

View daltxguy's profile

daltxguy

#10 posted 11-22-2008 10:52 PM

Hi Odie,

That’s certainly a great endorsement and an interesting review but I think you may have left out 1 thing. What does it do?

I see a buff mounted on a lathe.

-- If you can't joint it, bead it!

#11 posted 11-23-2008 04:14 PM

OK Steve, I have updated this to include the three stages of the system. I hope that helps. Beall’s web site includes instructions that might help you to understand “what it does”.

View dustygirl's profile

dustygirl

#12 posted 11-23-2008 04:47 PM

Your boxes are beautiful Odie.Love the quilts too.Thanks for the link Allison.

-- Dustygirl..Hastings,Ontario.. How much wood can 1 gal chuck if 1 gal can't cut wood?

View Tim Dorcas's profile

Tim Dorcas

#13 posted 11-23-2008 09:46 PM

I have this system and the results are great. My biggest problem is that the wheels are very grabby. I have lost a couple of projects and so I am wary to use it on smaller items. Other than that it works as advertised.

-- www.craftedbytim.com - A Woodworking & Renovation Blog & www.craftedbytim.com - I make. You buy.

View daltxguy's profile

daltxguy

#14 posted 11-23-2008 09:49 PM

Thanks Odie. I understand much better now.

You see, when you live on an island somewhere in the S.Pacific, you can’t get stuff here and so when you hear about a good idea, you want to know what it does and how it does it, so you know how you might reproduce it using something that is available here. Looks like the key to this system are the buffing compounds used. This looks like a metal polishing kit ( available here ) being used on wood.

-- If you can't joint it, bead it!

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19570 posts in 2541 days

#15 posted 11-23-2008 11:07 PM

Top review Odie. I will have to think about the Beall system, looks like a great finish. I like the boxes, great contrasts.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python