3 Blade Pack - Curve/Ripping/Resawing

Review by Alongiron posted 03-08-2015 11:38 AM 4886 views 3 times favorited 24 comments Add to Favorites Watch
3 Blade Pack - Curve/Ripping/Resawing 3 Blade Pack - Curve/Ripping/Resawing No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been a long time user of Woodslicer band saw blades from Highland woodworking but a friend of mine told me that Timber Wolf blades cut better and are less expensive, so it was time for new blades and I went to www.timberwolfblades.com and ordered the 3 blade assortment pack: One each blade for Curve, Ripping and Resawing (14” with riser & 16” saws) 105”. With Shipping thee blades came to only $70.

I liked the description of the blades: “Our exclusive use of low tensioned, high ductile Swedish silicon steels, working in combination with our unique geometric gullet designs and sets, has resulted in our having many of the finest band saw blades in the world. All of our teeth are milled, not stamped or crush-ground. Our quality control is unsurpassed in the business. In fact, we are considered a leader in the manufacturing of specialized set tooth, high performance blades. If you do not like our blades we will refund your money and pay the freight upon their return. This also gives us a second chance… the opportunity to analyze the blades in order to determine why they did not meet your satisfaction.”

They were on my door step in 3 days. I loaded up the 3/8” x 4 TPI positive claw blade, grabbed a 4×4 piece of oak to give it a try… You would have thought that the wood was not even there!! I have never had a blade that cut like that..I was amazed! I do not understand all the technology and stuff but I can tell you that the next time you need some blades, I would recommend these.

View woodenwarrior's profile

woodenwarrior

#1 posted 03-08-2015 01:48 PM

I use Timberwolf blades for re sawing exclusively. They are definitely high quality and worth every penny spent on them.

-- Do or do not...there is no try - Master Yoda

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

#2 posted 03-08-2015 02:09 PM

good review … will give them a try on my next blade purchase

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View andy_P's profile

andy_P

#3 posted 03-08-2015 04:31 PM

Wow, Steve, that is something coming from you. You bet I’ll give them a try. My attempts at resawing using my Grizzly still have never produced what I expected. Maybe these will help. I’ve tuned, retuned and did if over and over again. Never have gotten it right.

-- Wood is a gift from God/Nature that maintains its beauty forever via the hand of a woodworker.

View ArtistryinWood's profile

ArtistryinWood

#4 posted 03-08-2015 07:20 PM

I to have used the Wood Slicer Resaw Blade from Highland, it performed very well for about ten minutes. I ordered it to cut some veneer for a friend from a 10” wide piece of Quartersawn Oak. As i said it worked very well on the first board, i sliced of some beautiful 1/16” pieces, very smooth cut and with the thin kerf was able to get a few extra pieces. The next board had a knot and after it cut through it, lost its set and would no longer track straight. Now i know a knot in Oak can be very hard, but i put my regular 1/2” Timberwolf back in and finished the board with no problems. Disappointed

-- It seem's to me i could live my life, a lot better than i think i am. Andrew, Midland, Ont.

#5 posted 03-08-2015 09:54 PM

I have been using the Olsen All-Pro blades. Although they work great initially, they don’t last very long. I might give Timberwolf blades a try, however I like blades that last, so I might just get a carbide tipped blade.

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#6 posted 03-09-2015 12:34 AM

Timberwolf’s bi-metallic resaw blades are pricey but do last a lot longer than their standard blades (and are still less $ than carbide tipped blades). I always call T Wolf and tell them what I want the blade to do. Then they recommend the best blade for my application. Always good advice!

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View AandCstyle's profile

AandCstyle

#7 posted 03-09-2015 01:07 AM

TimberWolf also has great customer service IMO.

-- Art

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

#8 posted 03-09-2015 03:22 AM

I have been using Wood slicer blades for years and just the other day noticed I only have one 1/2” blade left and it was a bit dull, so I took it off the saw and over to the bench grinder. I had seen several you tube videos regarding how to sharpen a BS blade and away I went. Took about 20 minutes and when I re-installed the blade I picked up a a log of Norfolk pine and it cut like butter…then I went on to a log of Ohia…a very hard wood grown here in the Islands and once again it cut really easy and fast. I am sold on resharpening blades. Only wish I could do it on 1/4” blades…can see all the teeth

-- Larry in Hawaii,

#9 posted 03-09-2015 10:18 AM

Lots of good comments on he blades. I think both types of blades are good but I am really impressed with these Timber Wolf blades. Larry Could you tell me which video you watched? I am interested in the sharping thing..It would be worth a try to add a some shop life to the blades.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#10 posted 03-09-2015 11:38 AM

I too went over to Timberwolf. My resaws have been stellar. I don’t see me buying any other brand, going forward.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View TDH's profile

TDH

#11 posted 03-10-2015 12:45 AM

I have decided to give Timberwolf blades a try. I have used several brands, not happy with any so far. They all have made straight cuts but most I have to feed too slow for my taste and cuts require too much sanding. Hope Timberwolf is better.

View redryder's profile

redryder

#12 posted 03-10-2015 02:43 PM

What I like about your review is that you include the web site and the price of the product.
Not many people do.
Thanks….....................

-- mike...............

#13 posted 03-12-2015 07:39 PM

Alongiron, could you tell us , in a little while, how long they stay sharp.
I was very disappointed with Woddslicer blades which get dull extremely fast ( and I mean extremely).
I now use bi-metal blades which last much longer but I they are as sharp.

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

#14 posted 03-12-2015 08:22 PM

Thanks to all of you for your input on the Timber Wolf blades … I thought it was just me noticing how fast some blades wear and get dull.
I have two band saws, a 12 inch Craftsman and a 14” Ricon. The Ricon is used mostly for re-saw and sports a 3/4” blade and I keep a 1/4” on the Craftsman …
I do have 4 blade sizes for the Ricon and 3 for the Craftsman. (But I change them as rarely as I can … PITA).
IMHO, the Timber Wolf blades have out preformed the other brands that I have used, and their Customer service is outstanding, being manned by knowledgeable, patient and courteous folks who want to make you a happy customer.
Thanks Alongiron for your post.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

#15 posted 03-12-2015 08:43 PM

I found this awesome video on You Tube about how to sharpen blades. I have not tried it yet but it looks pretty simple. I think this will save us all a bunch of Money!