Woodstock cross slide vise

Review by TheFridge posted 03-08-2015 05:59 AM 2763 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Woodstock cross slide vise No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Terrible machining but can be made to function decently with some scraping, filing and sanding.

View Picklehead's profile

Picklehead

#1 posted 03-08-2015 10:53 AM

Too bad you didn’t get the one in the manufacturer’s photo! Looks like that one got a little extra makeup before its close-up. Love the mallet.

-- You've got to be smarter than the tree.

#2 posted 03-08-2015 02:17 PM

Tell me about it. It took some work. The ways were terrible.

View philba's profile

philba

#3 posted 03-08-2015 03:30 PM

Thanks for the write up. Sorry you got a lemon. This is one case where Harbor Freight actually shines. From the picture, it seems like the same vise. I got their 4” CS vise and it works ok. Didn’t need to tweak anything. The ways on it were machined fairly clean. If you wait for a coupon, you can get it for less than the woodstock price. And, the benefit of HF is it you don’t like it, take it back and get another one.

Once you get it working, a CS vise is great. I use it all the time with my DP for precise positioning.

#4 posted 03-08-2015 03:35 PM

I like it and use it pretty much exclusively with my drill press. The machining was poor but it was nothing that couldn’t be overcome. I expected some work on it. I think it was mainly the speed at which it was machined left a really rough surface and they don’t deburr it after.

View longgone's profile

longgone

#5 posted 03-08-2015 04:04 PM

these are real handy. I mounted mine on a piece of plywood and clamp it to my DP table when i use it. Needed for precision.

#6 posted 03-08-2015 04:14 PM

I love it and use it almost exclusively. Just a poor finish I should say. That’s all.