Awesome blade

Review by TheFridge posted 03-08-2015 05:38 AM 2931 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Awesome blade No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got it for Christmas and have used the hell out of it. Rips and crosscuts cypress, pine, poplar, mahogany, wenge, sapele, walnut, maple, and ply like butter.

There may be better blades out there for a little bit cheaper but I haven’t tried them. I’ve only used Freud Diablo blades and cheap hand me downs up to this point.

I believe it costs about 45-50$ for Forrest to sharpen it back to factory specs so that is a plus.

View Julian's profile

Julian

#1 posted 03-08-2015 02:50 PM

I have been using a Forrest woodworker II blade for over 10 years. No complaints. Excellent blade. Just had it re-sharpened; cost was about $28 plus shipping.

-- Julian

#2 posted 03-08-2015 03:31 PM

28$? Even better.

View longgone's profile

longgone

#3 posted 03-08-2015 04:15 PM

$45 – $50 is a lot to sharpen a blade. i have the same blade and have it sharpened at the ssharpening center in Laplace. The do a great job…just as good as forrest in my pinion’

#4 posted 03-08-2015 05:01 PM

Well, I figured Forrest wouldn’t screw it up. I’ve used the same place for jointer and planer knives so I’ll probably use them for saw blades too now. I just never knew anyone that has used them for saw blades and didn’t know what kind of quality to expect.

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#5 posted 03-08-2015 08:13 PM

Congratulations! I use and recomend Forrest. They are in my table saw, chop and panel saw. I cut 2sided materials and need a “clean cut”. As for sharpening here is a paste to consider:

Forrest Factory Carbide Saw Blade Sharpening
There are many factors to making All Forrest Saw Blades the premier carbide saw blade and the overwhelming choice of professionals. Top of the list is how they are sharpened. Having your Forrest saw blade re-sharpened by Forrest Manufacturing Sharpening Service is what will keep it a Forrest saw blade.
The Forrest Manufacturing Sharpening Service also sharpens other types of carbide saw blades, upgrading the life and performance of any saw blade.
Our heavy-duty precision machines (with super fine diamond wheels) produce a sharpened edge unequaled by most sharpening services. Magnified 50 times, the superior edge is readily visible. This extra sharpness is vital for longer production runs and better sawn edges on your product.

Their web site has more….....

-- Desert_Woodworker

#6 posted 03-08-2015 08:16 PM

I’m with you on that. I know the place down the road can sharpen anything with a blade and I’ve had great results with them so far. Just never with a saw blade. I’ll have to make my mind up whenever that time comes around but I’m hoping it will be a long time before it’s necessary.

View ButchCassidy's profile

ButchCassidy

#7 posted 03-09-2015 12:33 PM

I have used Forrest WW11 for several years. They just sharpened 1 ww11, an Oldham and my Freud 8” super Dado set, I got them back Friday. sharpened, packed good with the protection around all the edges. 132.50 postage and all. The cost to buy and cost of sharpening is relative to quality of cut.

-- " If you want your PRAYERS to be answered" get off your knees and go to work

#8 posted 03-09-2015 01:03 PM

I agree. Better safe than sorry is usually my approach, but if Greg gets his sharpened at this place and his blades get a quality sharpening 45 min down the road it’s hard not to give them a shot.

View smitdog's profile

smitdog

317 posts in 2008 days

#9 posted 03-10-2015 05:32 PM

I’d suggest getting a cheap Irwin Marples blade and use it for cutting questionable rough stock. Chances are it will need sharpened before your Forrest if you only use it for clean wood. Keep your first cut off the Marples and when you have the local place sharpen that one (it’s got enough carbide to resharpen a couple times) see how it cuts compared to that first cutoff. If it’s as good or better then you can be more willing to trust them with the Forrest. Otherwise I’d stick with Forrest because they most likely guarantee their service, so if something went wrong you’d probably get a brand new nice shiny bade to replace it :)

-- Jarrett - Mount Vernon, Ohio

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#10 posted 03-10-2015 10:35 PM

smitdog- excellent advice. I will try that cut off method/compare…..

-- Desert_Woodworker

#11 posted 03-11-2015 04:54 AM

It’s a great idea, but I already have a bunch of old blades for dirty wood. If gregs blades are sharpened good enough for the varieties of wood that he uses I don’t think I’d be disappointed going local. But factory condition is still factory condition. its a tough call to save money sometimes.

View TimberMagic's profile

TimberMagic

#12 posted 03-12-2015 03:27 AM

I bought the thin-kerf 30T blade for my contractor-style saw since I only use the table saw for ripping. I was amazed at how it plowed thru tough wood. Gave the saw some much needed new life until I can replace it with a 3HP cabinet saw.

-- Lee

#13 posted 03-12-2015 03:35 AM

It’s all in the carbide. Yeah buddy.