Solid drill press

Review by TheFridge posted 03-08-2015 05:26 AM 9381 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Solid drill press No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Ive been using it regularly for a couple weeks now. Mainly with a 5” cross slide vise to mill and drill wood and metal.

Pros – being able to put the handles on either side of the press – runs smooth with little runout – the laser setup is actually nice for drilling consecutive holes. I haven’t found it to be off when adjusting table height – I didn’t have to pay more for an under powered jet benchtop.

Cons- the base is a bit smaller than I’d like but it’s not horrible

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

643 posts in 1949 days

#1 posted 03-08-2015 10:55 AM

Have you measured the run out at the spindle? I have read the PC has had issues with this in the past. Id love to know if PC finally applied some quality control to this area and fixed the issues others were having. Google “how to measure drill press run out”.

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

#2 posted 03-08-2015 01:42 PM

There was about .0005 runout in the spindle and .004 with the chuck on.

View Garbanzolasvegas's profile

Garbanzolasvegas

#3 posted 03-08-2015 03:12 PM

Have you checked this machine for run-out? I have the same DP and it has very bad run out. I would buy an chuck/ arbor for it but I cant justify pay more for a chuck than the DP cost me

-- If you don't Play, you can't win

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

643 posts in 1949 days

#4 posted 03-08-2015 03:43 PM

hmm.. those are rather acceptable tolerances.. I’ll have to look into one. knowing my luck though, I’ll go through 10 of them before I get one like you did.

There was about .0005 runout in the spindle and .004 with the chuck on.

- TheFridge

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

#5 posted 03-08-2015 03:47 PM

see above post.

Rich- Try different combinations of turning the spindle and chuck ( don’t remember if you can turn the chuck but I think so.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#6 posted 03-09-2015 11:42 AM

I have one of these. I have not had any problems with runout, but I cannot get the laser to work correctly. It lights up, but it seems to want to wander a bit. Gave up on it a few months back and just use the press without it.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View marc7101's profile

marc7101

#7 posted 07-01-2015 11:46 AM

Looks like this model has been discontinued. Can’t find anyone still selling it!

-- Marc- http://www.thediyhubby.com/drill-press-reviews/

#8 posted 07-01-2015 12:23 PM

Possible. Lowes was the only place carrying it in stock aside from maybe Amazon.

View BurlyBob's profile

BurlyBob

#9 posted 02-06-2016 06:53 AM

I recently bought mine based on reviews here on LJ. Assembly was a breeze, the laser sight was dead on out of the box. I haven’t had much opportunity to really run it thru the ringers. But so far I’m very please with it and my friends are serious envious of it. I’m thinking it’s going to do everything I need a drill press for.

#10 posted 02-06-2016 07:10 AM