New Oliver 4420 16 inch planer with Helical Head

Review by bons posted 03-07-2015 07:05 PM 6927 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New Oliver 4420 16 inch planer with Helical Head New Oliver 4420 16 inch planer with Helical Head New Oliver 4420 16 inch planer with Helical Head Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just got my new Oliver 4420 16” planer moved into my workshop. My workshop is a work in progress as I look forward to working less (NOT “RETIRING”) and spending time “working wood”. At 670 lbs., it was a challenge to get into my walk out basement workshop. I Rented a 1000 lbs. capacity dolly, recruited 3 really young, really big guys from our church home, fed them a “lumberjack’s ” breakfast and we went to work. I had built a ramp from 3/4 plywood to facilitate the final leg home. The machine has 4 pull out rods that are designed to be used for a machine, cable lift but I felt we could manhandle the machine with the will and sufficient muscle power.
we loaded the machine, strapped it down and began down the slight hill. The only really difficult part was pulling and pushing the machine up the ramp. We had a “o no” moment when we temporarily stalled at the top of the ramp before getiing it home. At that point, we had a slight door lip and we were in. The machine is on casters, so once on the concrete floor, smiles crossed everyone’s faces as we realized our task had been accomplished. The planer had sat in my garage for 6 weeks as I pondered how to get it situated. I called a local moving company a couple of weeks ago and they wanted $600.00. That was enough to convince me of the above methodology. The fit and finish are very nice. I have the Oliver 8” jointer with a Helical Head and am very pleased with the tool. I really like the very heavy cast iron construction of the Oliver line. I will write a full review once I get it up and running. I have never seen one posted anywhere.

View bons's profile

bons

43 posts in 1905 days

View WoodNSawdust's profile

WoodNSawdust

#1 posted 03-07-2015 07:13 PM

Glad you managed the move without any accidents.

I have heard good thing about the Oliver tools.

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#2 posted 03-08-2015 01:06 AM

You do own the Rolls Royce of jointers and planers now. Glad you recruited enough help to get it moved. Now enjoy!

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View BroncoBrian's profile

BroncoBrian

438 posts in 1925 days

#3 posted 05-21-2015 01:47 AM

That is beautiful. I have not seen an Oliver tool anywhere. Do any retailers carry them?

-- Bigfoot tries to take pictures of me

View TheFridge's profile

TheFridge

#4 posted 05-21-2015 01:57 AM

So now you have 2 Cadillacs :)

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.

View dannmarks's profile

dannmarks

#5 posted 11-29-2016 04:47 AM

OK, Well I learned wood working on Oliver Equipment in @ 1980. The 15 inch sliding/rolling Table Saw I was working on had been bought used for over $5000 in 1959 at Western Michigan University. And that was still the best saw I have ever used. All of their equipment was Oliver. This School had produced thousands of wood working teachers and they had all learned on Oliver. Could Oliver have asked for a better advertisement than that!

So I am wonderfully jealous of your equipment. I look forward to your further review.

View Danhenderer's profile

Danhenderer

#6 posted 11-28-2017 04:29 AM

Curious how you like your 4420 after a couple years? I’m in the market for one like it. Have used a Powermatic 15” with 3hp and the Byrd helical head and like it pretty well. The carbide cutters have shattered quite often though and wonder if the Oliver does the same?

View bons's profile

bons

43 posts in 1905 days

#7 posted 11-28-2017 02:11 PM

Dan: it has been a very good machine. I almost bought a Oliver bandsaw but they could not compete with mini max in the horsepower side. The 8” Oliver jointer has performed very well as well. Sure wish I had 10”. Good luck!

View Danhenderer's profile

Danhenderer

#8 posted 12-01-2017 03:29 AM

Thanks for the update Bons. Think I’m gonna pull the trigger in January.