Review by Michael Hacker posted 2108 days ago 4363 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
exactly the jointer for my needs, in fact its more jointer than i will likely ever need!! exactly the jointer for my needs, in fact its more jointer than i will likely ever need!! exactly the jointer for my needs, in fact its more jointer than i will likely ever need!! Click the pictures to enlarge them

i really needed to get a tool like this into my shop, and i am very happy to state this is my first jointer, and mighty nice tool indeed! i am very spoiled to have something this nice at my disposal!

Grizzly was selling these units as blem’s through their eBay storefront. the cost savings was substantial and it was stated that the paint was uneven, blotchy, and not up to Grizzly standards. the tool still carried a full factory warranty on all parts other than the paint finish. I decided to take a chance!

i purchased my unit using paypal and patiently awaited delivery, which was going to require some assistance from a friend. we decided to drive to the trucking dock to pickup the tool, and they happily loaded it into my pickup truck with a fork.

we carried the unit inside and setup only took an hour or so until we were making chips! and this beauty made lots of really nice chips!

the packaging of the tool had been damaged, as it appeared that it had been pierced by a fork (something i have seen done lots of times, but have never done myself!). the only spot that it appears was scratched was the rabbet axillary table, and a tiny few scratches on the very end of the bed.

overall i was happy with my blem, the paint looked as if someone touched it up with some spray paint, but otherwise the tool was very, very well made and defect free.

setup was simple, the instructions were over detailed, and all parts were included and well made. my medallion needed a little tweaking but wasn’t a big deal and only required a new screw & nut.

after some extended use i can report that this jointer is really exactly what i needed to add to my shop at this point in time. i have hooked up dust collection to the tool but the chips produced come out all over the unit, i will need to build an auxiliary dust hood to help.

Final Verdict: A+

excellent tool as described which performed well out of the box, and even better once tuned up!

additional photo’s are available on my website mikehacker.com in my woodworking section.

View Michael Hacker's profile

Michael Hacker

You’ll need at least a one horse power dust collector to work properly on these machines. Vacumn cleaners can’t create the volume of air flow required to extract all of the heavy chips and dust . You should be able to find one for less than $150 : )

Gtray Job. I’ve got a Grizzly Spiral Head jointer and I love it.

View curiousgeorge's profile

curiousgeorge

I bought one of these also and like it a lot. I still haven’t found the “blemish”. I was glad to read in your review that mine wasn’t the only one that throws some chips out around the blade area. I am going to try to figure out a dust collection hood for this area.

Nice review. Thanks for the info.

View miles125's profile

miles125

Nahhhhhh…You’re gonna wish you had 12” wide before long!

-- "The way to make a small fortune in woodworking- start with a large one"

View tooldad's profile

tooldad

remove the dust shoot cover if you don’t have a good dust collector. They will just come out the chute that way. The chute more than likely is 6×6 at least. The chips only happen to me when I forget to open the dust chute. I then have to pull off the 4” flex hose and clean out the chips with my hand to get it flowing again. Our DC went down at school a couple of years ago, and this is what we did to remedy the situation until a new motor was installed. YOu can also put a bucket or a box below the chute to collect most of it, saves a little bit of time with the broom.

View johnnyz53's profile

johnnyz53

I have the same one in my shop, it’s super and joints my parts for my bench project. I have a 5 hp dual dust collector. I also have a galvanized trash recepticle with a wind tunnel top that collects the chips before they get into the dust collector. Then all I have to do is empty the can.

The down side…. pushing over 60 pieces in two hours….very tiresome on these old arms…LOL

-- John, Charleston, SC, http://www.americanworkbench.com

View Christina Rytter's profile

Christina Rytter

Great review. We have a grizzly 16” jointer and it’s wonderful. If you have trouble finding a pleace to have your blades sharpened… Grizzly also sells a planer blade sharpener for around $100.00.

-- Christina, British Columbia, Canada http://barkandfly.com

View dragondncr's profile

dragondncr

38 posts in 2053 days

#9 posted 2053 days ago

I just bought the same one from them off Ebay, paint blemish. I was able to use MS Cashback. I just opened the box yesterday, and found the brackets for the motor really bent. I called Grizzly, and they are sending new motor mounting brackets. I would post a photo of the damage, but I haven’t learned how to do that, yet. I’m glad to hear great reviews of this jointer. I’m looking forward to using mine when I get it completely assembled

-- dragondncr

View dragondncr's profile

dragondncr

38 posts in 2053 days

#10 posted 2053 days ago

What did you use to clean all the grease off? After cleaning, what did you apply to all the surfaces to protect it from rust?

-- dragondncr