A good value.....

Review by Adrock1 posted 03-07-2015 01:56 AM 11871 views 2 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A good value..... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I think I’m the first to review this saw so I’ll be as thorough as possible. Please forgive any sloppy typing. My computer is dead so I’m on my phone.

Anyway I was in the market for a 120 volt saw and had it narrowed down to this grizzly or the new delta 36-725. I ended up with the grizzly.

1. Customer service

I ordered over the phone as I had some questions about shipment. The lady that took my call was a pleasure to deal with and knew her stuff. The order process was a breaze.

2. Shipping

I opted to pick the saw up at the UPS terminal as I didn’t want to try to get it off the back of a truck. When they brought it out there was some damage to both boxes. Couldn’t tell if it was UPS’s fault or if it left grizzly that way but it didn’t matter. The contents were unharmed.

3. Assembly and setup

Assembly was a piece of cake. The manual did have some instructions that didn’t quite match the available hardware. It would pay for them to proofread the manual and ensure its accurate. The errors were minor and the assembly is nearly self explanatory for anyone who knows their way around a saw but it could be frustrating none the less.

Initial impressions were positive. The saw is well packed. The grease from shipping wiped off easily. Everything was neatly packed. The finish and quality of the components was good for a saw in this class. Not exceptional. The cast iron table and wings for example looked great and are perfectly functional but are surface ground to a slightly coarser grit than you may find on a higher end saw. It would have little or no impact on performance but a finer polish would be nice.

Another point of frustration was the rear cover panel. The holes for the screws were ever so slightly out of alignment with holes in the cabinet. As a result installing the panel was a bit frustrating, but it worked. This sort of headache is a little frustrating though on any tool that costs $700+. The remaining components were nicely machined and finished.

Fine tuning and alignment was fairly easy. I can confirm this saw does in fact have cabinet mounted trunnions. Interestingly though the manual’s process for alignment of the blade to the miter slots directs you to losen and tap the trunnion, not the table. This process was very easy as the rear trunnion is easily accessed through the rear cover panel. I dialed it in and then tilted the blade to check alignment again. I check the bevel stops and they were good. Next was aligning the fence. I had to fuss a bit to get the fence just right but eventually got it all dialed in too. My final measurent was to check for any wobble in the blade and ensure it didn’t drift with blade height adjustment. When it was all said and done the blade alignment, fence alignment, blade drift were all under .005”. The wobble in the blade was less than .002”. I was very pleased with those results.

An additional word on the fence. Its good, not great. I’m going to keep it for now and get a few projects under my belt and see how I feel but I think I’m going to end up keeping it. The important thing is that it does seem to repeatably lock down good and parallel to the blade. I also really like the slots that will allow the use of accesorries. And this fence does lock to both the front and rear of the saw so it is rock solid and will work good with feather boards or board buddies that apply downward force on the workpiece.

The downside is that it doesn’t glide easily back and forth. There is some friction so it takes some tapping and adjusting to get it to your desired setting. We’ll see if it smooths out with time. Who knows. In short its very functional, but not the most user friendly.

4. Performance

In operation the 2 HP motor has plenty of power for a saw in this class. This saw is NOT a 3 to 5 HP cabinet saw and never will be. But it ripped through 2” thick poplar with a 60 tooth diablo fine finish blade without burning and bogging down. It took a modest feed rate but it worked just fine. A 3hp cabinet saw would allow for faster feed rate for sure. I’m a hobbiest though and speed is not critical for me.

The saw is very quiet and ran quite smoothly. I didnt bother trying but I’m confident it would easily pass the old nickle test.

The adjustments were smooth and accurate. The power switch, hand wheels, and other controls all function solidly.

The included miter guage sucks. As do most factory units. I’ll definitely be making a crosscut sled and probably getting an incra miter guage too.

In summary I think this is a great value for a hobbiest saw. For $740 with a 5% coupon you get a lot of saw. Full cabinet, cabinet mounted trunnion, cast iron wings, a good (if not great) fence, a strong motor for its class and my initial testing shows its capable of pretty darn good accuracy. Should be plenty good for precision work.

I’m not aware of another saw in that price range with all those features. You need to get to about $1000 plus for that. This saw is priced to compete with some of the lower to middle price point contractor saws but has some nicer features.

Over all a couple minor quibbles and complaints but when its all said and done I’m please with the features and performance. We’ll see how she holds up.

View Adrock1's profile

Adrock1

View Shadowrider's profile

Shadowrider

#1 posted 03-07-2015 05:28 AM

You typed all that on your phone? :faint: lol

Congrats on your new saw, she’s a beaut!

View rizzo's profile

rizzo

#2 posted 03-07-2015 05:30 AM

Congrats on the new saw!!!! look forward to seeing what projects you make from it. With regards to a miter gauge, I have the incra miter HD and it is (in my opinion) worth every penny! I have had a few other miter gauges and they have all been crap compared to this one. I was able to zero it in with no trouble at all, using the cumulative error effect, which is a great way to check a miter gauge by the way. Cheers!

View BigCaah's profile

BigCaah

#3 posted 03-07-2015 05:31 AM

Very glad to see a review of this saw. Thank you for posting it up!

-- Andrew

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

#4 posted 03-07-2015 05:52 PM

Hi Adrock1,

I’m glad that you received your new grizzly saw.
I own the same saw, and have had it for about a year now, and just love it. ( I hug it every morning)
I outfitted mine with the Wood Worker II blade and it is a wonderful match, out preforms the Diablo hands down.
I don’t know what your problem with the fence is, but here is what I found, and maybe it will help you trouble shoot yours.
After assembly, my fence was sitting way too high off of the table, like a 1/4” ... Went back over the instructions three times and decided there was a major malfunction at the junction and called Grizzly.
When I explained the problem, this customer service guy knew exactly what the problem was … The rail was installed incorrectly … My bad …He told me where I had miss-interpreted the instructions.
After removing and correctly installing the rail, the fence glides as smooth as silk and at the factory setting is only .002 from end to end.
Factory settings were dead on for the 45 and 90 stops and the blade was .001 to the miter slot … After checking these adjustments I just put the saw to work basically right out of the box.
I run my saw on 220V. I just added another circuit to the shop. A bit spendy but worth it.

Thanks for your great review on this great saw designed with us hobbyist woodworkers in mind.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

View jeff's profile

jeff

#5 posted 03-08-2015 12:20 AM

Looks like a winner.Thx for the review.

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#6 posted 03-09-2015 05:11 PM

Thanks for taking time to review this saw. It is appreciated.

And congratulations on your new acquisition. Sounds like a lot of saw for the money.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View conradgt76's profile

conradgt76

#7 posted 03-11-2015 03:50 PM

thanks adrock1, i have been hoping for some reviews on this new table saw, now i am confident that i want one.

grumpymike, i may be wrong, but i get a distinct feeling that you have the G0715p, instead of the G0771. the G0771 wasn’t sold until january of 2015, and is prewired for 110V.

View sgmdwk's profile

sgmdwk

308 posts in 2070 days

#8 posted 03-11-2015 07:32 PM

Thanks for the thorough review. Hope you get many years of happy use from your new saw.

-- Dave K.

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

#9 posted 03-15-2015 04:32 AM

Hybrid saws typically come prewired 110, but are easily convertible to 220, which I think is a very worthwhile change. But it’s true the 771 only appeared in the 2015 catalog.

View Redoak90's profile

Redoak90

#10 posted 03-26-2015 12:32 AM

Good decision choosing this over the Delta. I myself bough the Delta about a year ago and am not satisfied with it. It does the job well enough but there are some minor issues with it that get under my skin every once and awhile. Plus it is way under powered. I’m glad to see you like the Grizzly, my next tablesaw will be a Grizzly

View logicsrealm's profile

logicsrealm

#11 posted 04-04-2015 04:09 PM

Thanks for the great review. I am considering picking one of these up for my garage shop. I was looking at the pic you posted. The mobile base doesn’t look like the standard Grizzly/Shop Fox. What type is it? I like the smaller profile.

View Adrock1's profile

Adrock1

#12 posted 04-04-2015 04:11 PM

Its the wood river from woodcraft. You supply a piece of plywood to your size and put it together s. Really happy with it.

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

#13 posted 04-04-2015 06:34 PM

conradgt76,
Yep, you are so right … I didn’t look at the #’s close enough … (crawling back into the shadows).

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

View nstites's profile

nstites

#14 posted 06-09-2015 09:02 PM

I bought this saw in April and have had issues with it. The first one was delivered with the cast iron arm that connects the motor to the trunnion snapped in half. I inspected the box for damage before opening (as directed) and the box looked perfect, no damage. Not sure if it was a bad casting or what, but needless to say it was not the way I had hoped to start out the process.
Had to repack, have freight pick up before a new one would be shipped, and wait for a replacement. Another 2 weeks of waiting and new saw came, this time in one piece. The saw needed a lot of adjustment out of the box. Blade was out of square from the miter track, fence was well out of allignment, and the 90 degree stop was almost 4 degrees off. After a couple of hours of tuning and an Infinity Super General combo blade installed, the saw was working pretty well. Until…
Now, there is a recall that was sent out 2 weeks ago saying:

“the motor pulley on this saw has an over-sized bore, which may prevent the pulley from securing properly to the motor shaft. During saw operation, an improperly secured motor pulley and its machine key can come off the motor shaft and be thrown with great speed by the rotational force of the motor. If this happens, there is a small chance that the machine key can be ejected through the table opening and strike the operator or bystanders. PLEASE IMMEDIATELY STOP USING THIS TABLE SAW! Do not use it again until the motor pulley is replaced.PLEASE IMMEDIATELY STOP USING THIS TABLE SAW! Do not use it again until the motor pulley is replaced.”

While I appreciate grizzly’s warning and ‘efffort’ to fix it, they are saying it will still be at least another week until the new part is shipped out. I paid for this saw almost 2 months ago and have only been able to use it for about 2.5 weeks due to failures with the saw. I really wanted to like this saw and hope that someday I will, but right now I’m wishing I had forked over a little extra money for a saw with better quality.

View WayDad's profile

WayDad

#15 posted 06-18-2015 05:44 PM

This is pretty much what happend to me. I bought this saw in March. The saw I received was at least put together once or twice because the riving knife had scratches on it, no big deal as I was going to do the same. Cut to about 3 weeks ago. Grizzly sent me the same recall email. I have emailed their customer service 4 times asking when I can expect to receive the new part and have gotten no response back. I’m actually very surprised as they have a great reputation. I’m hesitant to ever buy anything from Grizzly again. I do have a drill press from them that I love…At this point I wish the same thing… I should’ve just bought a different saw. I have only used this saw a handful of times… And now they are ignoring me. I’m close to selling this and buying a different brand altogether. I really wanted to like this saw, but how can I.

Now, there is a recall that was sent out 2 weeks ago saying:

While I appreciate grizzly s warning and efffort to fix it, they are saying it will still be at least another week until the new part is shipped out. I paid for this saw almost 2 months ago and have only been able to use it for about 2.5 weeks due to failures with the saw. I really wanted to like this saw and hope that someday I will, but right now I m wishing I had forked over a little extra money for a saw with better quality.

- nstites