K-body clamp extenders

Review by dsb1829 posted 2124 days ago 2520 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
K-body clamp extenders No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked up a set of the K-body clamp extenders a couple months back from Woodcraft. I had a table project coming up and knew that clamping the long aprons would require clamps in excess of the 50 inchers that I had. I was initially impressed by the solid construction of these. Honestly I think you would get back near half of the price in scrap value on the billet. The bolts are massive. The extrusion is formed to match the contours of the steel rails of the K-body clamps.

Well last night I finally got a chance to put these to the test on the afore-mentioned table. Conversion was quick. Some rails fit the extenders tight while others were loose. Overall everything was stable and manageable once I had bolted my 50in and 24in clamps together. My dry fit was uneventful, but I did notice one leg needed a wedge to hold it at 90. A light should have gone off in my head at this point. Unfortunately I was at the end of about a 14hr marathon shop day and not firing on all cylinders. I glued, reclamped, and in all the fuss to get it all together I missed that my joints were not being held at 90. Close, but off. It wasn’t until a few minutes later when removing the excess glue that I discovered the problem.

I kicked myself and then assessed the damage. Fortunately the error is small. Unless the table is flipped upside down it will never be seen. The angular error is small enough that it is not detectable by eye.

But, be forewarned. The k-body extender does allow your parallel clamps to clamp outside of parallel. If you are going to use these keep a sharp eye on the joint and compensate with shim stock to maintain parallelism. Minus 2 stars for my grief. I will leave it above average because technically they do what they are said to do, combine 2 clamps. In my case I can have up to 100” of clamp length. If when needed again I will be much more careful in the dry fit so I don’t end up with any surprises after the glue is cleared.

-- Doug, woodworking in Alabama

View dsb1829's profile

dsb1829

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

Thanks for the heads up.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19393 posts in 2484 days

Great idea.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

Great review. And a heads up.

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5015 posts in 1941 days

#4 posted 1941 days ago

I’ve got to buy some of these extenders and retire my 3/4” pipe clamps. I have enough 3/4 pipe in 6, 8 & 10 ft lengths to make a plumber jealous! These extenders make more sense.
3/4 pipe will go out of square also on a large clamping and they don’t come close to the quality of a K bar clamp.

112015 posts in 2210 days

#5 posted 1930 days ago

good reveiw

View Zulu55's profile

Zulu55

Thanks for the heads up there. I’m considering getting these extenders to avoid having to buy new/longer parallel clamps

-- Adam - Langley, British Columbia (Canada)

View Jorge G.'s profile

Jorge G.

I think you should send it back, they must have shipped you a dud. Mine fits the clamp bar very snug and does not allow any side movement.

-- To surrender a dream leaves life as it is — and not as it could be.