This base should not have passed final QC

Review by Dedvw posted 03-04-2015 04:24 PM 2357 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
This base should not have passed final QC No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Unit arrived in a box way larger than the base allowing it to slide around. No shipping foam or cardboard whatsoever allowed the wheels and hardware to break through the box. Upon opening the box, my unit had a lot of paint runs and dust embedded in the spray paint. I call it spray paint because mine was not powder coated and painted with what appears to be a spray paint can. There were numerous scratches everywhere on the frame as well as a bunch of exposed bare metal that missed painting all together. The welds and grinds look like they were made be a middle school student. This thing is not cheap and the American company making this base needs some work.

For those of you that will slam me for paint issues not being a big deal, I will say for me, paint protection is as big of a deal as solid welds would be. My shop is wet most of the year thanks to snow melting and blowing show from my garage door being open to hot muggy summer days. This thing would be a rusty POS within 4 years inside my shop. Many of the bare metal was along the welds that hold the jointer inside the base. Could I have painted it myself? YES, but I wont for $170 price tag. Thankfully, CPO’s customer service was top notch and they returned the item at their expense.

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

View nkawtg's profile

nkawtg

#1 posted 03-04-2015 06:40 PM

I’m wondering if a call to customer support may get you some resolution. There just isn’t any excuse for poor workmanship.
If they don’t come through, perhaps you can get it powder coated locally.

Bye the way, there is a method of powder coating at home using your wife’s oven (she may make a fuss).

View Bogeyguy's profile

Bogeyguy

#2 posted 03-04-2015 09:19 PM

Sounds like you’ve been snookered. Someone was trying ton get over on you. Where did you buy it???

-- Art, Pittsburgh.

View Rayne's profile

Rayne

#3 posted 03-04-2015 11:21 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe CPO sells only Refurbished items. I don’t think they are an authorized Powermatic dealer, so this shouldn’t really be indicative of the item itself.

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#4 posted 03-04-2015 11:30 PM

Nkawth, that is interesting about powder coating in the oven. I will def google that. I have already sent the unit back, so I wont be trying it on that base.

Bogeyguy, that’s an interesting thought. I don’t think CPO duked me, but maybe someone duked them.

Rayne, CPO shows up on Powermatic.com as an online retailer for Powermatic products. CPO sell’s refurbished and new products for Powermatic. The product I bought was not listed as refurbished and was supposed to be a factory first purchase.

View Rayne's profile

Rayne

#5 posted 03-05-2015 02:54 AM

Well then, the “correct me if I’m wrong” is in full effect. lol. I didn’t know that as I’ve bought a few things from CPO in the past and their store always seems to have only refurbished.
It’s looking more like someone was trying to sneak one by CPO themselves and it got to you. Hopefully it gets worked out.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#6 posted 03-05-2015 05:20 PM

It depends on the brand. cpoprotools.com (the Ridgid section) only sells refurbs. Bosch (cpotools.com) and Dwalt (cpppowertools.com) sell new and refurbs. I assume the other brands vary on this as well.