Lee Valley Brad Point Bits - Set of Seven

Review by ChicoWoodnut posted 11-02-2008 07:03 PM 6072 views 2 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lee Valley Brad Point Bits - Set of Seven Lee Valley Brad Point Bits - Set of Seven Lee Valley Brad Point Bits - Set of Seven Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was in need of some brad point bits to drill holes for a set of ball catches I am installing. I have been using regular twist bits and needed something with a centering guide. My set of Irwin Jennings-pattern auger bits don’t go to 1/4”. I looked at brad point bits at the Borg and didn’t like any of the ones I saw. The lip was simply a point ground into the edge of the radial cutter. It didn’t look like it would leave a clean hole on entry and that is what I am after.

Sizes – 1/8” to 1/2” (in 16th increments)

Linkhttp://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=42247&cat=1,180,42240

The set comes in a plastic pouch and the cutting ends are dipped in a protective coating. The bits are coated with light oil that needs to be wiped off. Be careful! The points AND spiral flutes are razor sharp!

The brad points are perfectly centered giving the ability to position the bit precisely and cut without wobble. The lip enters the wood very cleanly. In the picture above the hole on the left was my first and the hole on the right was my second. The camera picks up a lot of detail with the super macro setting.

I would highly recommend these bits for those who want to keep a set for detailed drilling in wood; especially where it will be visible on the project. They are a fine example of American machine tool production which I thought had been completely replaced by cheap throw away competition. I will keep these in my woodworking tool cabinet along with my other fine bench tools.

Plus – High quality, sharp, accurately machined.

Minus – I wish they had come in a box. I guess I’ll have to make one <g>

-- Scott - Chico California http://chicowoodnut.home.comcast.net

View ChicoWoodnut's profile

ChicoWoodnut

View Napaman's profile

Napaman

#1 posted 11-02-2008 07:12 PM

nice review…

I will be in CHICO…weds-sat thanksgiving weekend…let me know if we can hook up for a brew…this time i will rerally make the time to get away!!!

i am sure the park is looking outstanding…we still have lots of leaves…our first cool week and lots of rain…but chico—-has it been warm this fall???

-- Matt--Proud LJ since 2007

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#2 posted 11-02-2008 08:00 PM

Nice!

I really like Brad Point bits too!

View MrWoody's profile

MrWoody

#3 posted 11-02-2008 08:12 PM

I have had the 28 piece set for a couple of years now and would not hesitate to buy them again, if I had to.
Yes they are sharp. I received 3 stitches in each of 2 fingers when my chuck key slipped and my fingers brushed the bit.

-- If we learn from our mistakes, I'm getting a fantastic education.

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#4 posted 11-03-2008 12:52 AM

I bought a cheap set at the wood show last year to have a range of sizes over the prime ones from Lee Valley.
Big mistake- absolute garbage .
I am sheepishly finishing my Lee Valley set as we speak.

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

#5 posted 11-03-2008 05:37 AM

I started using these about a year ago. They are some of the best I’ve found. I like the nice clean hole that they cut. I’ve replaced a whole index with them and bought a set of the hex adapters for the small drill sizes available.

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#6 posted 11-03-2008 03:46 PM

On a similar note I find tht the Lee Valley saw tooth bits are the only ones I’ve found that have a hex drive end so the larger circumference of the bits doesn’t slip and ruin your chuck .

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View daviddoria's profile

daviddoria

#7 posted 12-30-2013 09:41 PM

ChicoWoodnut – did you ever build a box for them? I just got some and am trying to decide what kind of box to make.