JDS Company 2 HP Cyclone Dust Collector, Model 2100 CKV

Review by csi posted 03-04-2015 04:02 AM 11392 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
JDS Company 2 HP Cyclone Dust Collector, Model 2100 CKV No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

First, let me thank all those that have taken the time and made the effort to write reviews. I’ve read hundreds. I appreciated them all. It’s time for me to give back to the Lumberjocks community.
This is my first review….ever. I hope to be a little more diligent about writing reviews. I wanted to start with something that I really like – my JDS 2 HP Cyclone Dust Collector, Model 2100 CKV. It was my third big purchase after a new Jet JWBS-14SF bandsaw and a slightly-used Powermatic 2000 tablesaw.
I’m an intermediate level woodworker hoping to retire from my real job in a few years. I’m certainly not wealthy (or I’d BE retired), but I only want to cry once…when I buy the best <<fill>> I can reasonably afford and not second time, when I have to replace something that’s less-than desirable.
I loved my shop vac Dust Deputy combo, but I quickly realized that wasn’t going to get the dust collection job done properly on any of the larger equipment. I started researching and shopping dust collection systems. I had read about the health aspects of good dust collection, so I knew I want something that moved lots of air and had good filtration. I knew I wanted a cyclone system and canister filter. My shop is a 3-car garage that my wife has graciously let me take the 2-car side. I have plenty of 220V power. I wasn’t prepared to purchase and install a stationary system with ductwork or I perhaps would have gone with a Clear Vue system. I wanted a big portable system. I looked at the Grizzly’s. I had the opportunity to stop by Grizzly’s store in Springfield, MO. Their portable systems were ok, but the staff was (in my opinion) terrible. So, next. I researched several other well-known and not so well-known brands.
I finally settled on the JDS Model 2100 CKV because it was one of the more powerful portable dust collectors on the market and it had the other features I wanted. JDS had a good sales/service reputation (which I can attest to). It’s by no means ‘quite’, but for its size, I think the 2100 CKV is perhaps one of the quieter systems out there. Certainly, it is not obnoxiously loud.
The complete system is about 300 lb. You’ll need help (3 persons total) with assembly unless you have some type of overhead hoist, fork lift, etc. The Model 2100 CKV has stout lifting eyes.
Mine has a remote control. After shutting down the main vac rotor, the canister filter has an internal ‘beater’ that comes on automatically and knocks accumulated dust off the inside of the filter. That can be a little annoying if you turn the system off and on a lot.
Let me preface my rating by saying that I don’t anticipate giving out many 5-star ratings on anything. To me, 5-star means darn near perfect. I give the JDS 2 HP Cyclone Dust Collector, Model 2100 CKV a solid 4-star rating. I use the heck out of it. I’d buy the same one again.

View csi's profile

csi

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#1 posted 03-04-2015 01:39 PM

I like the JDS design. It looks well thought out.

Thanks for the review and welcome to LJ’s.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View cmmyakman's profile

cmmyakman

#2 posted 03-04-2015 02:27 PM

I have the same system. My main reason for choosing it over other systems included:
1. overhead height (it’s very short compared to similarly capable systems) which I need in my low ceiling basement shop
2. uses a cyclone for the 1st stage
3. uses a nice canister filter for the 2nd stage

My system never moves from its present location (even though it is up on wheels), so I have ductwork from each device to the cyclone. I like the portable remote on/off switch. I wish the cyclone stage was a bit more efficient (I get almost as much dust collected in the 2nd stage as I do in the 1st). I don’t like the noise. I’ve seen other single stage dust collectors that are very quiet by comparison. I’d rate the JDS a 3 or 3.5 star (mostly due to the noise and lack of 1st stage efficiency), but like you, I’d probably buy it again as it keeps the air clean. Thank you for your review!

-- You can't fail if you don't give up.

View RonGoldberg's profile

RonGoldberg

#3 posted 05-24-2015 01:22 PM

Hey guys,
I too searched and reviewed for about a year before I purchaed my JDS 2 HP 2100 model. Spend hours on designing the proper duct layout and even consulted with the honorable Bill Pentz (which by the way, is one heck of a nice guy, as well as utterly brilliant.). Also, I had similar fantastic customer service experience with the Guys from JDS.

I had electrician pull a 220 line and had a friend use one of those very cool Hilte drills to bore a giant 8” hole in the cinder block so I could keep the cyclone in adjacent room (noise reduction) and connect the ducting to my tools in next room.

I also got one of the shark systems to put over saw blade. Wow, that darn shark is fantastic. You gotta get one. I got the newer one with 4” dust port.

All this being said, I have yet to purchase the ductwork! Why, because every time I had the cash, I had one of those marriage,kids, wife expenses – braces, unexpected air conditioner broken, etc.

I have not even turned mine on yet. My birthday is coming up in July (52) and I have made it clear (yeah right) that I would very much like to purchase the ducting and get this sucker hooked up.

Will write full review this summer.