Protect Your Ears

Review by Mike Lingenfelter posted 2100 days ago 2094 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Protect Your Ears No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Recently one my posts came up where I talked about ZEM hearing protection. At the time I was amazing at how well they worked. It’s been over a year now of using them, and I won’t use anything else now. They are very comfortable to wear, for long periods if needed. They are lightweight and don’t have to go “deep” into the ear canal. The foam earpieces just enter the outside of the ear canal. They really don’t feel like they are in your ear, like other earplugs.

I’m not sure if I can really explain how they work, but they do. You can visit SensGard’s web site where they explain their technology. Somehow sound is deflected up the plastic sides. It really does cut down on the high decibel sounds and you can hear and talk to people while machines are running.

They have stood up very well over the past year. They come with replacement earpieces, but I still have the originals on after a year moderate use.

They come a few different colors, but I liked the blue. Although it might be time order a couple more pairs, as spares and for visitors that might come to the shop. You can find them at Amazon.com and several other places.

View Mike Lingenfelter's profile

Mike Lingenfelter

View dalec's profile

dalec

#1 posted 2099 days ago

Mike,

Thanks for the review on the ZEM’s. I have tried a couple of inexpensive in the ear devices and they have not worked very well for me. I will have to give these a try.

Dalec

View DaveH's profile

DaveH

#2 posted 2099 days ago

Looks like a great product. I just ordered a pair.

-- DaveH - Boise, Idaho - “How hard can it be? It's only wood!”

View Bob N's profile

Bob N

#3 posted 2099 days ago

Great review! I have a pair of the orange and absolutely love them. Great for working in the yard with the mower, blower and weeder also. You don’t even know you are wearing them for the most part.

View scottb's profile

scottb

#4 posted 2097 days ago

I have these too… Love em. don’t overheat like the old earmuff kind, and I can still hear the radio at regular volume. Great at blocking out the louder and sudden noises, while letting me still have a conversation.

-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- http://blanchardcreative.etsy.com -- http://snbcreative.wordpress.com/

View mmh's profile

mmh

#5 posted 2096 days ago

I just bought a PINK pair. I like the neutral grey, but they’re so small, I’d lose them in the shop and spend more time trying to locate them. I’ll let you know how they work when I get them.

The ear muff type gets clumsy with the safety goggle & dusk mask on at the same time and has anyone else accidentaly bumped into something with the earmuffs and got a loud earful of CLANK!? That hurts almost as bad as hitting your head against something hard.

-- "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#6 posted 2091 days ago

I love mine too. I wouldn’t use anything else. I even use them when I travel on a plane to cut out engine noise. I can’t imaginw being int he shop without it

-- making sawdust....

View ShannonRogers's profile

ShannonRogers

#7 posted 2091 days ago

Thanks for posting this Mike. I have been hearing about these for years on Matt’s Basement Workshop Podcast and after reading your review I finally decided to get my own pair. Really shocking how well they work considering the price and simplicity

-- The Hand Tool School is Open for Business! Check out my blog and podcast "The Renaissance Woodworker" at www.renaissancewoodworker.com

View Mike Lingenfelter's profile

Mike Lingenfelter

#8 posted 2091 days ago

I heard about them the first time from Matt too. The guys over at SensGaard saw my little review here at LJ and sent me a pair of their new model :). Gotta love a company like that. The new model is suppose to block out even move noise and still let you hear a conversation. I’ll give them a try and let everyone know how they work.

View mmh's profile

mmh

#9 posted 2084 days ago

Conversation? I can always here myself when I have a conversation with myself . . .

I’ve tried them several times now and they work really well when I can get them situated just right. The are lightweight and not clumsy which is a big plus. I am having a problem keeping them on my head as my hair is so smooth, so I have to use them upside-down and they work well under the chin. When I’m not using them I just hang them around my neck and sometimes I forget they are there as they are so lightweight. The two parts do tend to slide apart and fall off, so I have yet to figure out the right angle to bend the metal sliders.

View wood4fun's profile

wood4fun

I use them while mowing the lawn, running the weedwacker, and in the shop. Last winter, I used them while working near an especially noisy pellet stove for several hours. They’re quite comfortable.

The amazing thing is how loud the offensive noises sound when you take these off!