solid digital gauge which requires user modification to properly function!

Review by Michael Hacker posted 10-28-2008 08:15 AM 2926 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
solid digital gauge which requires user modification to properly function! solid digital gauge which requires user modification to properly function! solid digital gauge which requires user modification to properly function! Click the pictures to enlarge them

i was in the market for a miter gauge and found myself looking at this beauty in a recent email from Hartville Tool. i decided to give it a go and happily sent off my $59.99 + S&H and awaited its arrival.

shortly the package arrived and upon initial inspection i was very happy, the gauge looked well made, hefty, and simple, exactly what i was expecting! then i decided to assemble it… and that is where the problems began!

the handle wouldn’t thread into the guide rail section properly. making certain to not damage the threads i tried forcing it and was unsuccessful. i had to get out my dremel and lightly hit the inside surface to allow the threads to clearly work, not what i wanted to do my brand new gauge.

while attempting to get the handle attached i decided to remove the main section from the guide rail, only to find out that the allen wrench that should be included was not in my box.

once i overcame these initial two issues i am happy to report that the gauge operated great! i cut off a block of red oak, squared it and created an aux fence, and zeroed my gauge to my blade.

i also had an issue with the ball catches used in the guide rail, they are not spherical and more tubular protruding far enough to slightly catch on the edge of my miter track. eventually they wore a grove into my tracking and worked more smoothly, but again… shouldn’t!

after some extended use my suggestions for future improvement could include a rubber handle, the slippery plastic handle can be difficult to lock down for some users. also i strongly believe the on/off button should be switched with the zero button, as while working with the gauge it is very easy to mistakenly zero out the gauge.

i was not extremely satisfied with this particular unit, and would hope that others like it will not require modification, and include a allen wrench! having said that, the gauge works exceptionally well and has greatly increased my accuracy on my particular contractors table saw!

Final Verdict: B-

solid gauge which requires user modification to properly function!

Additional photos can be viewed on my website mikehacker.com in my woodworking gallery here!

View Michael Hacker's profile

Michael Hacker

View Garyb6's profile

Garyb6

#1 posted 10-28-2008 02:05 PM

Good review.

-- Garyb6, “True simplicity does not reveal the tremendous effort it requires.” - Somerset Maugham

#2 posted 10-28-2008 02:10 PM

A great review. Is their a pin to set it to 90 deg again so you don’t have to use some other tool to do that. That would be after it had a new zero set.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#3 posted 10-28-2008 05:27 PM

Good review! I really like the slotted holes for the auxiliary fence mounting.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19468 posts in 2509 days

#4 posted 10-29-2008 12:42 AM

Very honest review Michael, thanks.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

#5 posted 11-01-2008 07:12 AM

We done … looks like a nice item

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain