The Most Powerful Cordless Drill You'll Ever Own

Review by Eric posted 01-22-2008 11:09 AM 4395 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Most Powerful Cordless Drill You'll Ever Own The Most Powerful Cordless Drill You'll Ever Own No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Millers Falls started making bit braces in 1864. The 772 with a 10-inch sweep was produced from 1914 to 1957. One of the main features is its “Lion” chuck, which allows it to hold square, round or tapered shanks with ease. Indeed, I have had used both auger bits as well as “regular” wood boring bits normally used in electric drills.

Someone who has never used a bit brace will be surprised at the power you have with it, whether boring holes or say, driving screws! And while I used “variable speed” in the description of the brace to be cheeky, it does help that you can start drilling at a VERRRY slow speed. I wouldn’t, however, recommend throwing the brace into “turbo” mode, as you will start to lose control of your tool.

Overall, any review I give of the Millers Falls brace would apply to many bit braces, with the exception of the Lion chuck in my particular model (and later ones by Millers Falls). You just have to try it! As for me, I have yet to reach for my cordless since I got this puppy via my great grandpa.

-- Eric at http://adventuresinwoodworking.com

View Eric's profile

Eric

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#1 posted 01-22-2008 11:26 AM

I bought a “like-new” brace on e-bay recently. I am having a deuce of a time finding square shank auger bits. First tool I was allowed to use unsupervised by my dad.

View Thos. Angle's profile

Thos. Angle

#2 posted 01-22-2008 10:46 PM

I have one on the wall, all oiled and ready. Once in a while it gets used. When I was a kid, this was the only way my dad got holes drilled. Needless to say, I was really glad to get an electric drill. Run one of these all day and you’ll know what I mean.

-- Thos. Angle, Jordan Valley, Oregon

#3 posted 01-22-2008 11:03 PM

Great review. I’ve got 5 of these in different models and brands that I’ve picked up over time the only one that isn’t rusty is the Stanley.

I’m still looking for my flat bladed screwdriver bit that fits these guys because thats the only way to remove the screws from the base of a bowling alley section. The shank of the screw is about 3/8” they are big puppys, probably 5/8 across the top.

The brace justs backs them out and you can lay your chest into the pad and hold it in the slot. I rate them a 5 also.

View ChicoWoodnut's profile

ChicoWoodnut

#4 posted 01-26-2008 06:11 PM

I have one too, although it is rusty it works perfectly fine. It has a ratcheting attachment. I believe Irwin still makes these bits and I see them from time to time at flea markets and antique shops.

-- Scott - Chico California http://chicowoodnut.home.comcast.net