Turning Basics class at Woodcraft

Review by DW833 posted 03-02-2015 01:28 AM 2254 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Turning Basics class at Woodcraft No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I took this class at Woodcraft of Orlando this week. Cost is $105.
It is taught by Mark Behrens and runs from 10am – 5pm.

I started turning recently and had no idea how to use the tools. I find it difficult to transfer skills I see online
and dvds for turning to real workshop turning. So I wanted to attend a hands on training class.
With few other options for local training, I decided to try this class.
Attended a beginning woodworking class at a different woodcraft years ago and found it be ok for the price.

The class started on time and there was a bench top delta or jet lathe for all students. The classroom was small with barely enough room for the students.

The class starts with information on the lathe and tools. After that we started using the lathe. Most of the rest of the day was spent at the lathe. For this class the roughing gouge and spindle gouge was discussed in detail. With the skew and detail tool demonstrated and available for use. A nice set of woodcraft full size tools was available for all students. The instructor took time to assist each student and answer any questions. I asked as much or more than other students and always got answers. Roughing a blank, coves and beads were the cuts discussed the most during the day. Also covered was sharpening. For sharpening the instructor demonstrated and recommends use of the one way wolverine jig.

Since I use non-traditional tools including carbide tip tools and the Sorby spindlemaster, I wanted to make sure I used those tools in the class. The instructor encouraged me to do so and provided additional instruction on these tools. I thought this was the best part of the class.

The most important consideration for the class is did it help me learn what I wanted. The answer is yes. It would have taken me some time to learn the same on my own. Furthermore, with what I’ve learned I’ll better understand and use other training on youtube and dvds. Although the cost is more than $100 for about 6 hours of training. That is similar or less than other training options.

View DW833's profile

DW833

220 posts in 1967 days

#1 posted 03-02-2015 05:06 AM

Woodcraft seems to have some very involved class leaders

Glad to hear it was a positive outcome

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View bluejazz's profile

bluejazz

#2 posted 03-04-2015 12:55 PM

I am thinking about taking this Woodcraft class here in Nashvillle. Of course the venue and instructor will be different but its nice to know it’s a good basic class setup. Thanks

-- I'm 58. In my mind, I still feel 28. Until I do something physical; then I feel 78.