Almost Perfect

Review by mramseyISU posted 02-26-2015 05:49 PM 4400 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Almost Perfect Almost Perfect Almost Perfect Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a really preliminary review on this plane. I haven’t gotten a ton of time with it but I’ve taken a few passes with it just to try things out. I’ve been wanting a No 7 for quite a while and I’ve been on the hunt at every antique store I drive by and on Craigslist. I know you can get one on eBay but I’ve been screwed over in the past there so I’m pretty leery of buying on there. I also just for the heck of it threw this Lie-Nielson on my amazon wish list because you never know right? So my birthday came up this year and my wife asks if my wish list on Amazon is up to date. Sure but I didn’t think she’d buy that plane. So the day after my birthday this giant box shows up with Lie-Nielson on the side. What a surprise that was. Of course we had parent teacher conferences that night so I had to wait until we got home from that to get it out of the box but it was worth the wait. The plane was packaged well enough I think you could have dropped it out of a 747 flying over my house no problem. I took it down to my workshop and honed the iron right away. Here is where my only complaint comes in; there was a burr on the threads of the chip breaker and when I went to put it back on I had a hard time getting the threads to start straight. Once I got that sorted out though and adjusted the frog position and took a couple passes with it on a piece of black walnut I had needing to go through my power jointer. That plane was butter smooth going through the walnut and it was flat within a few passes. I kept going because it was so much fun to use. I’d say getting a .001” shaving is pretty darn good with about 5 minutes of set-up time. If you’re looking for a jointer and can’t find an old one you can’t go wrong here.

-- Trust me I'm an engineer.

View mramseyISU's profile

mramseyISU

View John's profile

John

#1 posted 02-26-2015 09:40 PM

That’s a hell of a woman you married!

-- I measured once, cut twice, and its still too short...

View Katfan97's profile

Katfan97

#2 posted 02-26-2015 10:18 PM

Congrats on your new plane! My wife bought me the LN No 4 in bronze for my 40th birthday this year. We also went to the LN factory in Warren to pick out my present and try a bunch of their tools. I had a hard time deciding between the 4, 4 1/2, and the Bevel up jack. I have a Stanley Jointer that i love but I probably wouldn’t say no to a LN number 8 or a bevel up jointer.

View SirIrb's profile

SirIrb

#3 posted 02-27-2015 07:31 PM

Need a Brother-Husband?

-- Don't blame me, I voted for no one.

View BenjaminNY's profile

BenjaminNY

#4 posted 02-27-2015 10:37 PM

I hate to think of what you are going to have to buy her for her birthday.

View mramseyISU's profile

mramseyISU

#5 posted 02-28-2015 05:25 PM

I hate to think of what you are going to have to buy her for her birthday.

- BenjaminNY

Something sparkly I’m guessing.

-- Trust me I'm an engineer.