It's one of those ....... Wonder how I ever lived with out one ?

Review by Dan'um Style posted 2085 days ago 2789 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
It's one of those ....... Wonder how I ever lived with out one ? It's one of those ....... Wonder how I ever lived with out one ? No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Last week I browsed the Dayton, Harbor Freight Tool Store, ... sort of like walking around a grocery store….. Walking every isle. Looking for something to buy … Big spender me, I found these for $3.99.
...

Really handy little things. Needle sharp, find myself using them allot more them I could imagine.
uses so far

glue scraping
scribing lines in wood and light detailing
digging sawdust out of crevices
picking excess finish out of corners

They are a great complement to my needle file collection. Maybe a future review.

View USCJeff's profile

USCJeff

#1 posted 2085 days ago

I’ve seen these on the shelf as well. It seems like dental picks come up often in articles about nontraditional woodworking supplies. I think I’d use then for the same uses as what I use my tiny files for. The obvious use for me is getting glue out of tight spots. Detailed carvings (not my realm) would seem to be a good use as well.

-- Jeff, South Carolina

View GMman's profile

GMman

#2 posted 2085 days ago

Expensive tools 66 cents each lol I can see they would be handy all around

View Moron's profile

Moron

#3 posted 2085 days ago

they can be as handy as they can be cruel.

I quite like mine.

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

#4 posted 2085 days ago

Hi Dan;

I have these as well, and have gone so far as too make handles for them. This allows me to use them with miniature turnings.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

They are very handy for many purposes, plus they make great toothpicks!

Lee

View lew's profile

lew

#5 posted 2085 days ago

Thanks for the ideas!!

I recently “picked” up a set at the Super Grit store in Gettysburg.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View bbqking's profile

bbqking

#6 posted 2085 days ago

You guys are something else. We’ve all used these forever.

-- bbqKing, Lawrenceville

#7 posted 2085 days ago

I’ve never bought any at harbor Freight. But I’ve bought some at the woodworking shows. If those vendors still show up.

A new harbor freight store is opening about 25 miles from me. Then it won’t be a full day trip.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#8 posted 2085 days ago

Picks are really handy I keep one close on my work table. Think I’ll get some more on the next to HF…65 miles one way so the trip has to be combined with something else need from that town, Terra Haute, Indiana. You just have to watch what you buy from HF their corner clamps are junk, my son and I both bought 4 1/2” grinders there and when you turn either on a shower of sparks comes from their insides….not safe to use either one.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View Steve2's profile

Steve2

#9 posted 2085 days ago

WOW – A new Harbor Freight will save a day long trip. Maybe they will have a concierge!

-- Regards, Steve2

View trifern's profile

trifern

#10 posted 2084 days ago

Thanks for reminding me that tools do not have to be expensive or full of hype to be useful.

-- My favorite piece is my last one, my best piece is my next one.

#11 posted 2084 days ago

Ya ! I’m becoming familiar with hand sanding again…. Forgot how easy it was !!! >grin<

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19282 posts in 2437 days

#12 posted 2084 days ago

Dan, they look more like torture implements. Are you in the medical business?.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View Heyz's profile

Heyz

#13 posted 2083 days ago

These things are great anywhere. I travelled on a sailboat for three months and Dentist tools were probably my number one item! They’re great for cleaning all sorts of small spaces and can somehow be used to fix almost anything that breaks on a boat!

-- Heyz, in the cold winterland of Canada

#14 posted 2075 days ago

Dan: I bought 2 sets on Tues on my trip to Harbor Freight.

1 set for my bench and one upstairs for the veneering room.

#15 posted 2073 days ago

I’m still using them almost every day.