Relief for my aching joints.

Review by Hopdevil posted 02-26-2015 03:52 AM 3090 views 0 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Relief for my aching joints. Relief for my aching joints. Relief for my aching joints. Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well, while I refuse to grow up, I must admit, I am growing older. My knees and my feet are complaining on a regular basis. My concrete floor is cold and hard (duh). My wife and I went to our local BJ’s Wholesale Club (like Sams and Costco) to get a membership. She had gotten a good deal on a membership through Living Social.

As we were wandering the aisles, we came upon these floor mats. They come in a packet of 8 – 2 by 2 squares for a total of 32 square feet for I think @ $15 per pack. I grabbed 2 packs (along with too much other stuff) and we headed home. I started laying them out and was pleased with the look and feel of them. I realized that I would need more and went back the next day after work and got 3 more packs.

Installation was very easy. They lock together well and have borders that can be used for a clean edge. They can be cut and trimmed with a utility knife with ease. Being my anal self, I cut a number of them in half using the table saw to fill some areas where 1 width wasn’t enough.

I am very pleased with the comfort they provide and I think they are helping keep the temperature up a bit too. I kept a few of the 2*4 area rugs I had used previously to double up in areas where I stand for longer times.

I am very happy and would recommend them.

#1 posted 02-26-2015 04:44 AM

Awesome! You’ll love those mats. I’ve been using them in my shop for a couple of years. They make the day easier on the feet and if I need to kneel on the floor for any reason, it’s very easy on the knees.

Of course, the mats I grabbed are the colorful kind so my shop looks a bit like the set of Romper Room.

-- "The difference between school and real life is that in real life the tests come first, and then the lessons" -- Robert Lang, ReadWatchDo.com

View poospleasures's profile

poospleasures

#2 posted 02-26-2015 01:39 PM

Please tell us more as to thickness, can you roll heavy stuff on the, is there a brand name, could you drive a car on them and how do you clean from spills and sawdust? I know this is asking a lot but I bet there is hunderds of jocks out here looking to us a product as this. Looking for just the right thing to do. Thanks for starting this.

-- I,ve had amnesia for as long as I can remember. Vernon

View yworkcb's profile

yworkcb

#3 posted 02-26-2015 01:49 PM

Wait till they go on sale and double them up ! You can also flip them when they get so dirty and stained that you can’t stand looking at them .

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#4 posted 02-26-2015 02:26 PM

I picked up some of the grey mats at Rockler back when they were $10 a pack. This might be one of the cheapest and easiest ergonomic improvements I’ve made to my shop. I also cut down the leftover pieces for liners to my Gladiator cabinets. They work really well for that too!

View OnhillWW's profile

OnhillWW

#5 posted 02-26-2015 02:30 PM

Another great feature of these is that they help insulate your feet from cold concrete floors. Re, rolling equipment on them – they are too thick (off the top of my head I’d say 3/8” plus or minus) to allow this, they are very light weight and easily moved so it isn’t much work to lift them out of place.
Re spills and dust – these are foam but the faces are closed cell so they clean easily. Vacuuming saw dust off is easy the only issue is that they are lightweight and the vacuum can stick to and or lift these off the floor. I just make sure that I hold the vacuum head at an angle producing a gap which keeps it from “grabbing” the mat.

-- Cheap is expensive! - my Dad

#6 posted 02-26-2015 03:48 PM

- poospleasures

Without measuring, I’d guess at 3/8” thick.

I would not plan to roll heavy machinery over them however, I recently rolled my 250 lb planer over them with no issue at all.

There are many brand names…I did learn that they don’t all interlock perfectly across brands. I bought some at CDN Tire then some others at Walmart and they don’t quite lock together properly…the dovetails are slightly different spacings.

One caution, if moisture gets under them and your floor is smooth, these things are like walking on ice! You can park a car on them, the car will make indentations that should bounce back BUT, if your car drops any moisture on the mat and that gets under it, your car will crash into the far end of the garage when you come in next…I’d advise against the car parking idea.

Glue will stick to them and won’t come off without damaging the pad. Sawdust vacuums or sweeps off easily. They are impervious to water and other liquids…I don’t imagine they tolerate solvents however.

I like the yellow ones for “caution areas” like, in front of my table saw and other power equipment.

I keep a few loose so I can carry them to wherever I might want to kneel or lay on the cement, oil change etc.

#7 posted 02-26-2015 03:51 PM

- RoadHogg

I should have mentioned, I also recently bought a couple packs of “diamond tread” pattern tiles. I have yet to use those. A shop floor in that would look nice. I’ve also seen one that has a hardwood floor pattern on it, might be appropriate for a wood shop but you might never notice when it’s time to vacuum up the sawdust.

View alittleoff's profile

alittleoff

#8 posted 02-26-2015 04:05 PM

I have some of these I got from harbor freight. They are 3/8” thick and 2×2 sq. They work great and don’t cost much. They wont hold up for auto traffic or the ones I got won’t, but will last a long time walking on them. .
Gerald

View DonSol's profile

DonSol

#9 posted 02-26-2015 11:59 PM

I have been thinking about getting some of these and after reading the post and comments I’m going in the morning to get some. Thanks.

-- Don Solomon, New Castle, IN; Quality is not an act, it is a habit. Aristotle

#10 posted 02-27-2015 01:47 AM

Wow, just got back to the computer. Thanks for answering all the questions for me folks! I don’t have really anything to add other than the brand name is ‘Best Step’. I like the colors RoadHogg!
Here is a picture of the cover.

#11 posted 02-27-2015 02:05 AM

Wow, just got back to the computer. Thanks for answering all the questions for me folks! I don t have really anything to add other than the brand name is Best Step . I like the colors RoadHogg!
Here is a picture of the cover.

- Hopdevil

Thanks Hopdevil. The Canadian Tire ones seem to be more than one brand name. I don’t know how well they interlock between brands. They have “Best Step” and also “Easy Tile”.

I’m glad I have all I need at this point. I can’t stand going into a Canadian Tire store.

#12 posted 02-27-2015 04:03 AM

Some brands of these the end caps are tapered to make it easier to roll items onto them

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#13 posted 02-28-2015 04:30 PM

I’ve used them for about 8 years. I think I got them from Sams; don’t remember the cost. I need to get more.

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

#14 posted 02-28-2015 05:26 PM

I had a few of these in my old shop. The really DID make it easier on the legs.

Now you just gotta figure out what you’re going to do with those TWO GALLONS of mayonnaise you bought because the price was ” too good to pass up! ” HaHa

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

#15 posted 03-01-2015 03:12 AM

Ha! One can never have too much mayonnaise!
In fact I’ll bet you didn’t know this!

Most people don’t know that back in 1912, Hellmann’s mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York.

This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico. But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York. The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost.

The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo!