Lie-Nielson Large Scraper Plane

Review by MC posted 02-21-2015 01:30 PM 4022 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lie-Nielson Large Scraper Plane No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am working on a project which I have incorporated a piece of figured oak. Even with a blade with a fresh and carefully honed edge in my smoothing plane I could not prevent tear out on the board. I ordered the scraping plane specifically for the purpose of preparing the surface of this figured wood.

The #112 finish is perfect and the blade thickness is substantial. While waiting for the delivery of the #112 I watched the LN video on setting up this plane. The video is essential as the directions that came with the plane are not as clear.

The #112 takes some time getting use to. I used the blade as it came without any further honing and without adding a bur. This was the recommendation in the video. I was able to produce the finish I was looking for without the bur but it was slow as the shaving was thin (as it should be). Adjusting the blade angle was simple following the video instructions. Setting the depth of the blade was not as easy and will require practice. I also found that the blade depth had to be reset after a dozen or so passes on the board. The plane did exactly what I was wanting it to do. A smooth and flat surface without any tear out on a piece of figured oak.

For the purpose I purchased this plane and intend to use I have given this tool five stars.

View MC's profile

MC

View OSU55's profile

OSU55

1779 posts in 2069 days

#1 posted 02-21-2015 03:24 PM

Congratulations on being able to get a scraper plane to work relatively quickly! Many people struggle with them for quite a while. I have the Veritas version. It is one of my favorite tools. For a few set up tips and a simple modification to make blade angle changes quick and easy, go here http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/4047 A burred edge extends edge life considerably.

View RogerBean's profile

RogerBean

#2 posted 02-22-2015 01:09 PM

Thanks for the review. I think one of these may find it’s way into my Lie-Nielsen arsenal. Also wanted to extend my compliments on your Federal Table project. Nice.