Hands down the best Table Saw DVD out there.

Review by Mike Lingenfelter posted 10-24-2008 01:43 AM 6612 views 2 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Hands down the best Table Saw DVD out there. Hands down the best Table Saw DVD out there. No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I reviewed Hendrik’s DVD (Jointer and Planer Secrets) a while ago and was very pleased with it. When Hendrik came out with a new DVD on Table Saws, I was very interested in getting. At first the price of $94.95 CDN, might seem a little high, but what you get makes it worth every penny. I really wish I had this DVD when I bought my first table saw!

This is a 5 DVD set and it has almost 10 hours footage. As with his Jointer DVD set, Hendrik always focuses on safe operation of the tool. To use a table safely, it needs to be set up properly and this is what he talks about first. His approach to setting up a table saw is different from most of what I have read/seen about table saws. Most books and DVDs really gloss over how a table saw should be set up. Hendrik goes into great detail on why he sets table saws up the way he does. His explains how his methods will improve your safety and the accuracy of your cuts.

Hendrik then goes into great detail on how to make just about every type of cut you would do on a table saw and how to do them safely.

• Rip cuts on long and short boards
  • Rip cuts on wide and narrow boards
  • Crosscuts on all sizes of board
  • Rabbet and dado cuts
  • Handling large sheet goods
  • Beveled rip cuts

He also gives one of the most compelling agreements on why you should have a right-tilt table saw over a left-tilt. I don’t think this topic will every have a clear “winner”. It’s like asking someone if you should cut tails or pins first ?. I would like to try a right-tilt saw sometime, and will seriously consider it if and when I buy a new table saw.

Another concept that came up in the DVD, was the idea of using your miter gauge on the right side of your blade instead of the “standard” left side. After you learn how Hendrik recommends setting up your saw, this just makes all the sense in the world.

Also included on the DVDs is a demonstration of how kickback happens. If you haven’t experienced kickback yet, the demonstration will be an eye-opener! Hendrik talks quite a bit about kickback. I believe after learning what I have from this DVD and implementing Hendrik’s recommendations, I can be confident that I have done everything possible to eliminate the scary event.

Also included on the DVDs is a very detailed demonstration on how to build a crosscut sled. He doesn’t leave any step out. You see him build it from start to finish. He has many tips on how to get the most accurate set up for your sled.

Hendrik has inspired me to be a safer woodworker. So much so, I’m putting my splitter and guard back onto my table saw. Now that I know how it is supposed to be setup and used, I’m embarrassed I ever took it off! All those TV woodworkers that say they took their splitter/guard off for better “visual clarity” should be embarrassed! They are doing a great disservice to the new and novice woodworker.

You can find Hendrik over at www.passionforwood.com.

#1 posted 10-24-2008 03:10 AM

Mike, this is a nice review. Thanks for the info. It sounds as if these DVDs would be a good addition to anyone’s woodworking library. I will have to take a look at buying these.

View Judd's profile

Judd

#2 posted 10-24-2008 04:20 AM

Mike, Thanks for the review and the link. I just finished ordering one. I’ll let you know what I think after I get through the 10 hours of DVDs!

-- Judd, Adel, Iowa, http://www.stoneyhedge.com

#3 posted 10-24-2008 04:08 PM

I hope you fine it as informative as I did. I learned a lot, even though I thought I knew a lot about the table saw. What I really learned was how much I didn’t know, especially on safety. I knew where not to put my hands, but that’s about it. I think I can make my saw safer now. I’ve also had issues getting accurate cuts on my saw. I think I know why now :). This weekend I’m going to start the tune-up of my saw with Hendrik’s methods. I plan to report back on how well it worked for me.

View WoodworkersResource's profile

WoodworkersResource

#4 posted 10-24-2008 11:07 PM

Mike, thanks for your review of this DVD set. It certainly helps to have someone’s opinion on an item like this. Just looking at the price alone, one might be turned off, but it sounds like it’s worth it.

-- Craig, www.WoodworkersResource.com (Where Information meets Inspiration)

View SCOTSMAN's profile

SCOTSMAN

#5 posted 10-24-2008 11:54 PM

A lot of poppy for a video or dvd remember I am Scottish I would have to see it before buying, remember it , then not buy.lol Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

#6 posted 10-25-2008 12:16 AM

Craig – Most DVDs out there cost around $25 and that is for one DVD with maybe an hour or hour and half of content. I was able to justify the cost by looking at it’s 5 DVDs and 10 hours of content. If this were a live class, I would think it would take at least 2 days if not longer to teach. You can imagine what that might cost.

Scotsman – There are many of us out here that need help learning the craft. Finding quality information can be difficult sometimes. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard experienced woodworkers tell new woodworkers to through away that guard and splitter because it’s a piece of junk. That’s what I did. I’m glad I didn’t really through it away! After learning from Hendrik how the guard and splitter are supposed to be set up and used, that is some of the worse advise out there. That bit of information is worth the price of this DVD set. I want to keep all of my fingers, if I can help it.