MLCS Horizontal Router Table

Review by Toolz posted 10-16-2008 08:45 PM 9988 views 2 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
MLCS Horizontal Router Table No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was having trouble routing wide panels standing on edge on my router table. I made a jig to stand panels on edge for trimming solid edge moldings on plywood but was unhappy with the results. After reading reviews http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/review1.htm#Horizonal_Tab_anchor and watching the short video http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/horizontal_router_table.html I ordered the table and mounted a Craftsman Model 320.28190 12.5 Amp Variable speed 2-1/4 HP fixed base 1/2” router . I ordered the “special” that included 4 raised panel bits. Assembly was fairly straight forward with the exception of the raising block drilling template was under sized and caused the lift mechanism to bind significantly. I contacted MLCS and they said the template was off and promptly sent me a new block pre-drilled with the correct measurements. I had also messed up the router plate and MLCS tossed in a replacement for free even though the fault was mine. The table is an outstanding addition to my shop and the customer service folks @ MLCS are great! Using a flush trim bit makes lowering solid edge banding to the same level as plywood a piece of cake. I am looking forward to using the table to make raised panel doors in the future.

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#1 posted 10-19-2008 12:50 AM

interesting. I thought about one of these, but wanted to hear others experiences first. Good luck

-- making sawdust....

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#2 posted 11-20-2008 12:16 AM

I liked the concept of this MLCS table. I’m too new to woodworking to know if I should go with this table or a Bosch table. Lowes has the Bosch bench top table now at the same price as the MLCS. I will be getting the Bosch router with the two bases and my inclination was simply to get the same brand table. I won’t be getting into heavy routing such as door panels… just the typical dado, slot, and mortise stuff with occasional edge design trim. Anything routine that you can’t do with the MLCS horizontal that you need a vertical table for? I’m also thinking of going with the MLCS 15 router bit set as a starting point… So, just trying to do a little homework before I sink the bucks to get started. I do have a significant piece of slab wood that needs much work. Yikes, not a good piece for the novice to start with… but my wife wants something made, other than sawdust, with her special piece of wood.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

#3 posted 11-20-2008 04:51 PM

If I had it to do over again I would buy the MLCS then buy an insert plate and make my own standard router table. The MLCS is excellent for making moulding, edge working wide pieces of wood and I use it frequently for mortising edges . I use my Kreg table for all othe table routed work.

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19586 posts in 2570 days

#4 posted 11-20-2008 10:41 PM

Looks like a great solution to many problems.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View Pete_Jud's profile

Pete_Jud

#5 posted 02-03-2009 11:38 PM

I bought one a couple of weeks ago, after reading the above review, and think it is a great design. I assembled it in about an hour, and it went together well. I had an issue with the rails standing proud of the router plate, but a call to MCLS on their 800 number got quick access to their customer service people. They sent me some slick strips that solved the problem. The manual looks like it is a photo copy staples together, and page 6 came before page 5. It would be nice if the router plate was pre-drilled for common routers, like the Bench Dog and Rockler plates. Overall a very nice addition to my shop.

-- Life is to short to own an ugly boat.

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#6 posted 10-23-2009 10:09 PM

Just a side comment that doesn’t have anything to do with the review … I have found the customer service from MLCS to be absoilutely first rate. They respond pronto, and in my experience, do whatever they need to to make the customer happy. Just my .02.

View rowdy's profile

rowdy

#7 posted 10-24-2009 01:42 AM

I agree with TheDane 100%. Just another $.02.

-- Rowdy in Kechi, Kansas

View johnhaynesiv's profile

johnhaynesiv

#8 posted 11-18-2011 03:51 PM

Interesting discussion… are there any known limitations with the horizontal versus traditional route table?

View akaCAM's profile

akaCAM

#9 posted 03-13-2012 04:18 PM

Hello, does anyone know if this can be used IN PLACE of a standard router table? I only want to buy one and need to choose.

#10 posted 03-13-2012 06:36 PM

I.m not sure…I guess it all depends on what you are wanting to do with your router table. I know MLCS have made some new versions of the top but can’t remember the exact details.

View Chipy's profile

Chipy

#11 posted 03-13-2012 06:39 PM

I am with The Dane MLCS costumer service is good along with most of there products.