Lancelot,Squire by King Arthur Tools

Review by jockmike2 posted 10-15-2008 01:27 PM 4412 views 1 time favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lancelot,Squire by King Arthur Tools No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This tool along with or by itself, the Squire fits on any 4 or 4 1/2 inch handgrinder and what it is is basically a miny chainsaw. I’ve owned one for 4 years or more and would’nt know what I’d do without it. I’ve used it on wood on the lathe to hog out wood, to hog out seats when making chairs, anytime you need to get rid of a lot of wood without using a saw or rasp or chisel. You can rake it along the wood and it’s like taking a chainsaw and raking it along a plank, it removes wood fairly smootly and fast. It also cuts wood, for a carver this should be invaluable. The Lancelot is slightly larger than the Squire, but they can be mounted in tandem, and you can get twice the cutting power. I did find one at Harbor Freight a while back so I bought it for a spare. They run about 30 to 40 bucks but to me they’re worth every penny. I’ve bought cheap grinders there (HF) too, for about 20 dollars. So you can’t beat the use of they combination. Woodcraft sells these also.

#1 posted 10-15-2008 02:10 PM

Mike Great review. I’ve seen them many time and knew what they did. But I guess I never appreciated the usefullness.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

#2 posted 10-15-2008 02:31 PM

Thanks for the review Mike!!

I’ve owned one of these for at least 20 years, or more, & I can vouch for it.

I’ve used it to rough out a lot of my 3D carvings, such as the Old Norse Mariner.

I like using this better than a chainsaw, & I think it’s safer too, although, you still have to be very careful.

They now make a smaller diameter size,a bout 2” I think.

Click for details

View trifern's profile

trifern

#3 posted 10-15-2008 02:44 PM

Thanks for the great review, Mike.

-- My favorite piece is my last one, my best piece is my next one.

View CedarFreakCarl's profile

CedarFreakCarl

#4 posted 10-15-2008 07:10 PM

Cool review Mike!

-- Carl Rast, Pelion, SC

View Zuki's profile

Zuki

#5 posted 10-16-2008 12:00 AM

Would you happen to have a video of it in action?

-- BLOG - http://www.colorfulcanary.com/search/label/Zuki

#6 posted 10-16-2008 03:04 AM

No I don’t and if I did it would be as useless as me sending u a fart. Meaning I don’t have the skills yet to make a podcast or video or something useful like that. Sorry Zuki. Maybe Dick could do that for us. How about it Dick?

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

#7 posted 10-16-2008 09:30 PM

Here’s one video on making a Didgeridoo, this is the first in a series.

You’ll notice its pretty aggressive.

View Zuki's profile

Zuki

#8 posted 10-16-2008 10:57 PM

wow . . . that does hog out the wood. tks Dick.

-- BLOG - http://www.colorfulcanary.com/search/label/Zuki

#9 posted 10-17-2008 01:53 AM

Thanks a lot Dick, that’s a lot better than me trying to tell you how it works. Thanks everyone. mike

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#10 posted 10-19-2008 12:51 AM

how often do you have to sharpen it? I use a Kutzall one and love it.

-- making sawdust....

#11 posted 10-19-2008 02:15 AM

Not to often if you don’t hit the ground or hit a nail or something like that. I’ve never bought a new chain for either of mine and like I said I’ve had them quit a while. I have’nt even had to sharpen mine too often.

View CARVINGLIFEdotCom's profile

CARVINGLIFEdotCom

#12 posted 01-22-2009 07:11 AM

Just wondering, has anyone ever had trouble with the chain grabbing and pulling in a kerf? I don’t have one myself, but have heard some horror stories about lost thumbs and run away grinders… In my opinion a super light chainsaw with a carving bar is a lot safer.
Anyone have safety ideas about using with the guard too? The tool I tried out was fairly limited with the guard on, and great with no guard at all, but a little scary.
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Tim

-- www.carvinglife.com is a new, developing resource for woodcarvers, especially those interested in chainsaw carving. Come check out videos, pictures, how to's and more!

View peruturner's profile

peruturner

317 posts in 2049 days

#13 posted 03-12-2009 06:43 PM

I have used both tipes the chain and the kurtzall disc they are similar but the chain cuts faster

View Raftermonkey's profile

Raftermonkey

#14 posted 08-30-2010 11:07 PM

Just found this thread. As a frequent user of this exact tool, I love it.

-- -Zeke- "I hate to rush off, but I gotta go see a man about a log"