Simple, cordless solution for quick nailing (heh heh heh)

Review by ajw1978 posted 02-14-2015 10:56 PM 7117 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Simple, cordless solution for quick nailing (heh heh heh) No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

NOTE: I know this isn’t a pneumatic nailer but there wasn’t an option for just nailers, nor was there an option for just cordless tools and I didn’t think it fell under “other” so … here we are.

That said … for reasons completely unrelated to the product itself, this is the last Craftsman tool I’ll ever buy (I hate you, Sears; I hate you with every ounce of my soul and look forward to your eventual collapse) but man, is it a keeper.

As always, I offer these reviews with some personal background and context. Many of you who have seen me post, you know that I’m still early in my tool collection (hoarding) stage (obsession) and still a novice in the world of woodworking. I also lack any kind of dedicated work or storage space so anything I purchase has to fit somewhere.

I’ve been keeping my eye on this tool for awhile. I haven’t exactly needed a nailer, per se, but have found it would make a lot of my projects and home repair tasks a lot easier. But, going back to space (and finances), getting a pancake compressor and the additional guns just didn’t seem practical for me. When I finally found the C3 nailer at Sears Outlet (a most horrific website, by the way), for the ridiculous price of $45 … I had to jump.

[Glazing over the nightmare I endured to actually place the order…. again, I hate you, Sears.]

Finally got it in my hands and grabbed a couple of packs of nails from Menard’s and I’m in love. Repaired the trim that had failed off three of my doors in the house with nary a jam. Also fixed two drawers and reinforced the back of a few pre-fab bookshelves. Reinforced some “loose” molding, as well (HEY, IT WAS LOOSE TO ME!) and I couldn’t be happier.

I won’t lie, it is a bit bulky. It’s heavy, so highly doubtful it’s something you’d want to hold above your head for two hours while doing crown work. But for odds-and-ends repairs and smaller projects where firing up a compressor and all that goes with it is just too much a pain in the ass, I think this is a perfect tool to add to your collection – if you’re, like me, already invested in the C3 line.

It’s an 18-gauge nailer and accepts up to two-inch brads. Has individual and rapid-fire modes along with a handy LED light. One thing I especially like—not to mention, the CEO/CFO’s favorite feature—is that it senses when it’s touching a workpiece and when it’s not. So no Happy Gilmore-style accidents.

Not sure about battery life, but after I did my immediate tasks, I shot two or three loads of staples into some scrap wood I have floating around. And the battery is still rocking.

Usually, it’s on sale somewhere around $120 or so. But Sears Outlet has a bunch of them for under $100. If you live near one, or know somebody who does, it’s an even better value.

ANOTHER NOTE: Ryobi has the same model, along with a finish and trim nailer, for its ONE+ line … if you live near a Direct Tools Outlet, I’ve seen it on special for 60-90 bucks.

-- May the good Lord help me if I ever actually have a shop, garage or basement.

View Picklehead's profile

Picklehead

1043 posts in 2079 days

#1 posted 02-14-2015 11:12 PM

Yeah, never again with Sears here, too. I ordered something from them at a great price with free shipping. When I went to check out, there was a $5 shipping fee attached. I just blew it off, thinking it might get credited at some point, no big deal anyway at the price. After the product arrived, I called them to discuss it, had them pull up THEIR WEB PAGE, and tell me that a) yes, in fact, it did state free shipping and b) no, in fact, I wasn’t getting free shipping. They told me they were just the “storefront” for the item, and weren’t responsible for the actual transaction!!! I asked them to tell me the name of the company at the top of the webpage we were looking at (SEARS!), and what company would appear on my credit card statement (again, SEARS!). Rather than waste any more time dealing with it, I thought I would just join the legions of Sears haters and spread this story any chance I got. They suck. Enjoy your nailer, it’s not its fault it’s parents are scum.

-- You've got to be smarter than the tree.

#2 posted 02-15-2015 12:28 AM

They are scum. I shouldn’t wish ill on people, but I look forward to the day all of their customer service staff is laid off. Maybe then they’ll appreciate the importance of a $35.91 refund.

View dgage's profile

dgage

#3 posted 02-15-2015 08:05 AM

Luckily I haven’t had the issues with Sears that a few of you have had but I do have quite a few tools, fine, a LOT from the C3 system and I’ve been very happy other than some of the cheaper (“included”) batteries that wouldn’t charge on the quad charger. Related to this specific review, I have the option of pneumatic with several size nailers but I’ve been using the C3 brad nailer for the last couple months and I like it. I now don’t use the loud compressor and pneumatics as much. So I concur that I really like this nailer. :)

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#4 posted 02-15-2015 02:47 PM

Congratulations on your new acquisition. The convenience of not having a hose an firing up\dragging around a compressor definitely is an attractive selling point.

And, as long as we are Sears bashing, I too will never shop there again.

I too spent the better part of my Sunday night shopping on the internet for some hand tools for the car and decided that, with Sear’s sale, I would buy them from them first thing Monday morning. I printed out the sale page with all the part numbers and pictures. I have found that the minimum wage staff that have no clue need all the help they can get to actually produce the item you want. So, I give them the paper work, he goes and pulls the item, brings it up front and rings it up. I was impressed. It took less than 5 minutes and I was all set to get started on my project.

WRONG. The cost did not reflect the sale price. I pointed it out to the sales clerk and he did some keyboard pecking and said, “Sorry, that sale is over and we can no longer honor this price.” I asked him to point out to me on the website where the expiration date for the sale was. He could not but still would not honor the price. I told him he could keep it.

I wasted more of my time than it was worth for the savings and I too will never step foot in a Sears again.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

#5 posted 02-15-2015 04:56 PM

Our Ace Hardware a few miles from us sells a lot of Sears crap.
Since they are associated, they have to have ‘X’ amount of shelf space at any time for the Sears lines.

They have been trying to do as little as possible to promote any of that stuff in the last two years.
In fact, they use to sell Sears/Craftsman lawnmowers, rototillers and other gasoline powered intruments of obstruction.
They now have a few sears mowers still in boxes and have moved on to nice, decent Husqvarna equipment as the main line.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

#6 posted 02-15-2015 05:36 PM

- timbertailor

Unless it is a sales flyer that’s viewable online, I don’t believe most sites include advance notices of price changes.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

#7 posted 02-17-2015 10:34 AM

Sears-bashing is fun. I have a meeting this week with one of their “executive team members.” Sometimes, being a loudmouth media type can be fun.

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

#8 posted 02-17-2015 10:19 PM

I too have been to Dell Hell and Sears Satin-ism … Never again, ... and now add Peachtree to the pile.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

#9 posted 02-18-2015 03:06 AM

According to my dad who would have been 99 years old 2-18-15, had he not past on at the age of 86, would not of heard of any other place to go for tools but Sears. Me at 59 years of age, well the quality has just gone to none existent for just about everything they sell. You definitely have to be a wise consumer these days and that is why Lumberjocks is such a great group of wood workers

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View vernonator's profile

vernonator

#10 posted 02-19-2015 07:52 PM

I have the Ryobi version of this thing and I love it. Bought it to help with an office remodel I am doing – lots of face frames, toe kick etc. I have done the whole thing – over 300 nails and my battery is only down 1 bar. Yes a bit heavy, but way easier to move around than a compressor and hose. I would love a small 23ga version!!!!

View MikeMcK's profile

MikeMcK

#11 posted 09-06-2015 02:55 PM

I’ve encountered several Craftsman items I’ve purchased lately from Sears that carry only a 3yr warranty and you need to provide the receipt for warranty replacement. I just assume buy some other brand that Lowes or HD sells with lifetime warranty. At least they’ll take it back without a hassle.

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#12 posted 09-06-2015 03:06 PM

- ajw1978

I have some advice for them. Make Craftsman tools in America again with a lifetime warranty, charge Festool prices, and make a great margin with no oversea shipping costs. Quality is a niche market but there are customers willing to pay for it. It would be a shame to see the name remain just a pile of sawdust.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View Mark1944's profile

Mark1944

#13 posted 02-25-2017 02:24 AM

Earlier this week I got my Sears cordless nailer. I have a couple of cordless drills that use the same battery was a factor in choosing this piece. I read the previous comments and pretty much agree with most of it. The only negative I see for this tool is the heavy weight, but I’m guessing the price would sky rocket if exotic light weight materials were used to replace the heavy castings. If you’re old with bad eyes like me, I suggest you go to the Sears web page for the nailer, click on the “owners manual” and print the 7 or 8 pertinent pages… they will be 2 times the size of the provided manual.

To me, the the biggest positive for this piece is the adjustments for wood density and brad length that allow for mar free shots. 3 or 4 test shots in scrap will dial in flush heads with no external dents. Also, it won’t fire if it low or out of nails. My air guns keep firing even when empty and sometimes it’s 5 or 6 shots before I notice I’m shooting blanks.

As far as Sears and Craftsman, it’s a shame that they have gone into the dumper. I’ve been buying Craftsman tools since I was 12 and I still have most of them. I broke many a 12 point socket with a 1/2” impact gun and took them back to the store for a free replacement. I have a 10” table saw that got it’s third set of bearings 2 years ago but is now relegated to a back-up piece. When I was 30, I got involved in building and maintaining race cars and got better tools, mostly Snap-On , Proto, Mac and the like. But I still use several of my old Craftsman wrenches and it always brings a smile to my face.