Works as designed, a real time saver

Review by clawoftui posted 02-13-2015 02:21 AM 3143 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Works as designed, a real time saver No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Accessing my dust collector in my garage is a bit of a challenge that requires opening my garage door. So if I’m only doing a couple of cuts, I’ve developed a bad habit of not firing up the dust collector.

I started out by ordering the Jet version of this dust collector remote from a seller on Ebay – I have a jet DC, so should have a matching remote, right? Well, even though it was listed as New, it showed up with a broken case, so after a 3 week return process, which ended with the seller not having any other stock, I started looking again for a remote solution.

I found this dust collector on Woodcraft, I ordered it, and it showed up very quickly. No complaints with the packaging or delivery. I should also note, the woodcraft is about $30 cheaper than the Jet was.

Installation was easy: plug in the dust collector to the remote box, and then plug in the remote box to the extension cord (note that I have twist lock 220v receptacles, so I’m using a short shop made extension cord to handle the difference in plug types). I also removed the little plastic feet on the bottom, and mounted it on the wall next to the receptacle.

I flipped the switch on the remote to On, pushed the button on the remote, and nothing happened. It helps to also turn on the dust collector. :) Once the DC was on, the remote works perfectly. I recommend this as an inexpensive remote solution for dust collectors.

View clawoftui's profile

clawoftui

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#1 posted 02-13-2015 05:31 PM

I use the 110v version—works great.

View ernie's profile

ernie

17 posts in 1910 days

#2 posted 02-14-2015 01:21 PM

Thank you for the review. From the picture and description it appears the remote box carries full load amp.
Or it may be stated in HP for motors. What is the load rating of your remote box?
I will be ordering one if load rate matches my dust collecter.
Ernie

-- Ernie, Etna, WA

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#3 posted 02-14-2015 01:28 PM

Thanks for the post. That would be a real time saver.

helluvawreck

View REL's profile

REL

#4 posted 02-15-2015 07:24 AM

Sorry, don’t like the unit. Owned two and both could not handle 1 1/2 delta dust collector before burning up.

Was able to build one seen on saw mill site. Much better and heavy duty.

-- REL, North Jersey

View clawoftui's profile

clawoftui

#5 posted 02-16-2015 05:20 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems with the unit REL – I’ll keep an eye on mine for issues.

Ernie, I don’t have the box any longer, so I can’t check for the info you asked about. Sorry…

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#6 posted 02-16-2015 10:47 PM

I have both the 110V and the 220V units. I had my 1.5HP Delta DC on 110V, but decided to shift to 220V for general load issues. The 110V worked for at least a year on the Delta. Now it is used on a smaller DC at my vacation home. The 110V was dead on arrival, but I opened it up and found a cold solder joint, and I repaired it. It has worked well ever since.

I am guessing that these units might have changed over time in terms of components. It might explain the different results.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View English's profile

English

#7 posted 02-18-2015 12:44 AM

I bought one of these a few mouths ago and I love it. Works from inside my house. The shop in in the back yard.

-- John, Suffolk Virgina

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

251 posts in 2092 days

#8 posted 02-25-2015 04:45 PM

It’s a great addition to our shop. We have three remotes, on Velcro’d to the SawStop switch, one on our big Radial Arm, and one over near our bandsaw and belt sander. The shop is so much better with it.
Ours has been running for about 3 years attached to a 3HP 4 bag “Reliant” dust collector.

-- Without the wood, it's just working

View WoodCult's profile

WoodCult

#9 posted 04-16-2015 07:14 PM

I’ve never really understood the market for these. It’s easy enough and a lot cheaper to build your own. You can get a contactor (amperage based on your dust collection motor) and wireless outlets for about 30 bucks.