Awesome Vibration Dampening

Review by CypressAndPine posted 02-12-2015 07:57 PM 3946 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Awesome Vibration Dampening No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ll start by saying that I don’t notice much difference in the sanding ability of the 3 different orbital sanders I’ve owned. First was a cheap pawn shop Porter Cable, second was a cheap new Dewalt, and now this very expensive Bosch. All of them sand wood very close to equal.

However there are two huge differences I will state:

1. VIBRATION: I’m an offshore electrician and I have every nerve, tissue, bone issue you could think of in my hands and lower arms. My old sanders would drive me crazy from the vibration. My fingers go numb, my wrists start hurting. I was lucky to get 10 minutes of sanding done at a time. This guy is 90% better. There is still some vibration, but I can easily sand for 45 minutes and even then the discomfort is not too bad.

2. DUST COLLECTION: Some of the reviews on this state that you don’t even need a dust mask. Well that’s a load of crap unless you like breathing sawdust. That being said, the canister filter and the dust extractor fan do an excellent good job of preventing the paper from clogging. It’s actually non-existent so far in my trials.

Summary: I give it 5 stars and will buy this unit again based solely on the low vibration. If vibration is not an issue for you, then I don’t feel like it sands better than any other 6” ROS that doesn’t clog the paper.

Hope this helps,

-- Cypress Jake, New Orleans

View CypressAndPine's profile

View pjones46's profile

#1 posted 02-12-2015 08:54 PM

Excellent review. Good to know about the vibration.

-- Respectfully, Paul

View philba's profile

#2 posted 02-13-2015 04:43 AM

Thanks for the review. I have arthritis and even though it’s fairly well under control, using an ROS really hurts my hands. I can usually tolerate a 1 hour sanding session but my hands hurt pretty badly the next day. I may have to get the same model – there may be hope!

View ol104's profile

56 posts in 1916 days

#3 posted 02-13-2015 04:43 PM

I actually ordered one yesterday. I tried out a demo unit at The Woodworking Show a few weeks ago and was really impressed with it. My current Dewalt ROS was a yard sale buy that has served me well but is starting to fall apart. As soon as i take it off the wood, it really revs up out of control, to the point that when i put it back down, it will go pretty deep even with fine paper on it. I will still use it for rough sanding though. This Bosch unit also has adjustable speed which will come in handy when sanding a narrow strip or edge of a board.

Just as an FYI – this sander is currently on sale at the Orange big box store for about $40 off through the end of March. You will need to order it online since they dont carry this model in the store.

View CampD's profile

#4 posted 02-13-2015 08:56 PM

Thanks for the review, I’m looking to upgrade myself.

-- Doug...

View KCConst's profile

#5 posted 02-16-2015 02:25 AM

I got the 5” 6” version and feel it is the best sander Ive ever owned.

-- "Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do" Wooden

View CypressAndPine's profile

#6 posted 02-16-2015 02:33 AM

Glad to know others are happy with the unit too. If anyone wants to try it out come see me. I have a few tabletops you can sand.

-- Cypress Jake, New Orleans